SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 1266 Posts

·
Ow'amya ?
512 Posts
Very nice BL, there is some stunning architecture in some of brums historical industrial buildings. We have some art deco frontages on our street, i'll get some shots later next week when i go back to work.

CH

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Makepeace is a lovely little building. Enjoy it while it lasts, because once the owner of the adjacent Digbeth Cold Stores gets the £10 million he's asking for for the site, the whole block will be flogged off and redeveloped quicker than a New York minute.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The owner has put it up for sale and has received plenty of interest. But he won't accept less than £10 million. And no-one has offered that yet. I heard this from someone who owns a shop in the Custard Factory.

By the way, it might look fine in the photos above but really I think Digbeth High Street is acutely embarrassing for Birmingham. It needs sorting out - NOW!

·
Second Citizen
16,937 Posts
Bel Ludovic said:
The owner has put it up for sale and has received plenty of interest. But he won't accept less than £10 million. And no-one has offered that yet. I heard this from someone who owns a shop in the Custard Factory.

By the way, it might look fine in the photos above but really I think Digbeth High Street is acutely embarrassing for Birmingham. It needs sorting out - NOW!
Great photos BL - they show the level of detail gone into the buildings around Digbeth and really tells us we need to save almost every older building there.

Digbeth High St is embarassing - and the most embarassing thing is that we have that as a main route into town! It is an historic area though and needs to be developed sympathetically. It would be kinda cool to have a traditional High St leading right into the city centre. My vote would be for the Oasis to relocate to somewhere here and get plenty of resi in, leaving the commerce/light industrial to the back streets. A decent hotel is needed too. Oh, and trams would look great! :)

·
Second Citizen
16,937 Posts
Just read in the planning apps that Midland Catering Company have put in to build 59 No. apartments on the corner of Warner and Warwick St. Looks like the repopulation of Digbeth/Deritend is well underway! :)

·
Registered
968 Posts
I'd love to see Digbeth transformed into a kind of trendy cultural, music and fashion quarter for young people - a bit like the Kings Road and Carnaby Street in London years ago.

The custard factory is a prime example of this: and it would be great if more could be done to keep the youth of today occupied with something for them. So if places like Oasis relocated, Costamongers et al; and concepts such as recording studios set up business in the new transformed Digbeth, coupled with a few more clubs then Im sure the Digbeth Qtr would rock!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Digbeth has such potential...We just need to kick start a masterplan development...I hope that once Digbeth Coach station has been built (Erm...we'll get it rendered first) that it cuases a mini construction boom...I men of apartments and facelifts of the many beautiful buildings already there...

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
nice pics. i like Digbeth.

-

·
Brummie Angeleno
15,186 Posts
Nice comments Sonny! I was thinking about how hard is it to construct a hangar (like the Indoor Market bldg) for the new Carling Academy and position it in Digbeth. There needs to be a tidal wave of movement of the arts and culture into Digbeth to kick us on in the whole picture of film locations / dance / art galleries / tv production / web design etc.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Building in digbeth

I used to work in Eastern Foods in Digbeth and on the way to work i passed a big massive red building on the corner of Alcester Street and Moseley Street. What is it? I heard it used to be a prison once

·
Registered
470 Posts
With the McDermid decision now behind us we are starting to see the redevelopment of Digbeth, I notice RTP crisps have started on Site, Curzon Gateway is apparently only months away and Typhoo Wharp Phase 1 is also proposing an early start, as such I thought it was about time we started a Digbeth thread, as somewhere that I think Is quite close to a lot of the Forumers hearts.

As starters 1) does anyone have an old photo of the RTP building? and
2) has anyone heard anything about the custard factory extension ITO timescales, design etc.

I have lots of gossip, but Im expecting a bit of feedback before I start to spill! :|

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
Who is designing Typhoo Wharf? Is it Glenn Howells?

We can't forget the Digbeth Coach Station. Not sure what the timetable for that is but I am guessing it will start early next year if they expect it to be finished for late 2008.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Typhoo Wharf is Glen Howells, but I believe JG Estates is looking to trade it on, and Phase 1 excludes the canal bit, which is Phase 2 and not under the ownership of JG, and so I have some reservations.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Digbeth is going to be such a cool place to live in 10 years time, & if anyone has any spare cash to invest in an apartment, this is the place to buy one.

1 - 20 of 1266 Posts