Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
10th February 2008
61,622 Posts
Dam it jerb - you beat me again!

That Livebait platter though, pretty tasty. At least it was when I had it a couple of years back

To extend the topic - where can you get suckling pig?
Sorry. :pet:

Surprised it has lasted so long. What was the other fish restaurant called that opened shortly after Livebait, but closed down. Anyone remember?

·
wind-up merchant
15,971 Posts
well its for a lady. but since i dont do gash its my mum

thanks for your suggestions, i think i'lll be giving grill on the alley a try :cheers:
Grill on the Alley is a top place but its not cheap. If you haven't done google it. Theres a menu etc. Try a kobe burger, its unbelievable, best burger I've ever had. The cow is fed with beer!

·
Registered
409 Posts
I must say that whole Wagyu/Kobe beef burger is a bit of a scam.

The whole point of wagyu/kobe beef is that it's marbling and the rearing of the animal produces supremely tender steak that can be cooked really rare and still be soft as butter - like the most amazing fillet steak.

The point of burgers is to take tougher - though tastier - cheaper cuts of beef (though ideally still good quality meat) and grind them up, which gives the meat a soft crumbly texture getting around the problem of having one big chunk of chewy meat.

The wagyu/kobe beef burger is pointless therefore as you are taking the tenderest type of beef imaginable and then putting it through a process of mincing and a cooking technique that is intended to bring the best out in tough beef.

Not saying it won't taste lush mind - you can't go far wrong with good quality beef in a well-seasoned pattie with condiments galore and maybe a slab of cheese - but it's just a waste of a very expensive ingredient which you won't get the value from.

Like using some vintage Krug to make Bucks Fizz. Sure it'll taste good but probably not quite worth the nose-bleed expenditure...

Cheers

Thom

·
wind-up merchant
15,971 Posts
I must say that whole Wagyu/Kobe beef burger is a bit of a scam.

The whole point of wagyu/kobe beef is that it's marbling and the rearing of the animal produces supremely tender steak that can be cooked really rare and still be soft as butter - like the most amazing fillet steak.

The point of burgers is to take tougher - though tastier - cheaper cuts of beef (though ideally still good quality meat) and grind them up, which gives the meat a soft crumbly texture getting around the problem of having one big chunk of chewy meat.

The wagyu/kobe beef burger is pointless therefore as you are taking the tenderest type of beef imaginable and then putting it through a process of mincing and a cooking technique that is intended to bring the best out in tough beef.

Not saying it won't taste lush mind - you can't go far wrong with good quality beef in a well-seasoned pattie with condiments galore and maybe a slab of cheese - but it's just a waste of a very expensive ingredient which you won't get the value from.

Like using some vintage Krug to make Bucks Fizz. Sure it'll taste good but probably not quite worth the nose-bleed expenditure...

Cheers

Thom
Have you had one?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Have you had one?
Yep, one at Grill on the Alley, and one (where they possibly nicked the idea from) at Daniel Bolund (sp?) in New York a good few years ago.

In New York they like to throw a slab of foie gras on their luxury burgers too. To paraphrase Peepshow "bit rich for me".

Both burgers were delish, but my point was merely that they were a mis-use of an expensive ingredient to drum up PR and buzz. I've had many equally tasty non wagyu/kobe burgers.

ETA: Didn't mean to sound overtly smart-arse on my original post (though I appreciate I probably did), it's just a bugbear of mine when you sense that marketing is influencing what comes out of a restaurant's kitchen.

I probably take food way to seriously.

·
wind-up merchant
15,971 Posts
Yep, one at Grill on the Alley, and one (where they possibly nicked the idea from) at Daniel Bolund (sp?) in New York a good few years ago.

In New York they like to throw a slab of foie gras on their luxury burgers too. To paraphrase Peepshow "bit rich for me".

Both burgers were delish, but my point was merely that they were a mis-use of an expensive ingredient to drum up PR and buzz. I've had many equally tasty non wagyu/kobe burgers.

ETA: Didn't mean to sound overtly smart-arse on my original post (though I appreciate I probably did), it's just a bugbear of mine when you sense that marketing is influencing what comes out of a restaurant's kitchen.

I probably take food way to seriously.
I've had some good burgers but hadn't had anything like that. It also might depend on how its cooked. I had mine cooked through and it was dripping with juice. I also had cheese & bacon on it but it had so much juice it was like it was having a piss. It does have a unique taste but I don't know it was worth what I paid, I can't remember how much it was btw but it was the most expensive burger I've had. Although it you get a burger from a bar and grill or TGIs you can easily be paying £10-£15. Its not a like a pub lunch where you can get one for £5-£10.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts