Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was in malaysia last summer. i love the places and the people, but why is KL so dirty? i see people toss their waste so nonchalantly and the poor streetcleaners has to clean up after them. the rivers in the middle of KL were brown in colour, and full of rubbish. despite the massive development, malaysians seem to have little regard for the environment and cleanliness. i never saw anyone recycled anything either. i was saddened by this. the country is lovely, but the people could not care less to keep it clean.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Confession...I used to when i was a little child..disposing rubbish into mangrove areas beside my house, thats because the rubbish trucks did not do their job well because they only came rarely in a month :sleepy: but not anymore and i realise that action could harm the environment...being influenced by nature books, pics of nature, geography subject, lessons from other countries, and Karam Singh Walia...

·
Banned
3,880 Posts
first of all, i apologize for your dissatisfaction on what we had done to our city.but, we are really working on it. actually as a fact, if we are talking about cleanliness KL is still much better that european city,Dublin for example because i've been there.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Leeigh said:
Kl is not super perfect and spotless but gotta say much better than American cities!!!
well actually with the exception of Chicago...downtown area is super clean but can't say the same for the burbs..

·
Registered
25 Posts
here we have first world structure and facility, but sad we have alot thrid world mentality. Welcome to Malaysia...

·
Vince
6,190 Posts
Third-world mentality, yeah that is precisely what we have in Malaysia. I've seen people throw fruit peels, plastic bags and other garbage out of their cars on Malaysian highways as if the whole countryside is just one big garbage dump. Excessive black smokes and dirty buses are abound in many Malaysian towns and cities. Take a look at storm drains and there are often garbage and construction materials inside. Bad hygiene, poor maintenance, dirty habits, almost zero recycling; yeah that's what we Malaysians are and I think the time for change is overdue.

Also, stop comparing Malaysia to European or American cities. These cities don't really have city workers cleaning the streets all the time as labour costs are steep there. In Malaysia, seeing a lowly-paid sweeper on streets is a norm but yet we still build such filth. We already have a shining example down south, Singapore, to live our standards to, and comparing ourselves to other dirty cities is simply lowering our standards. You want MALAYSIA BOLEH? Start with loving our country first.

·
12,964 Posts
Thanks for pointing that out Dodi :eek:kay:

I hope that the level of cleanliness here doesn't spoil your holiday. :(

Anyway there is this one thing I would like to clarify - brown rivers. The brown colour of the river is the natural colour of the river. Think Amazon and the Yangtze. It is the same situation. However about the rubbish in the river....well....that is the doing of KLites unfortunately :(

GreyX > Yea......it is not entirely spotless but no doubt KL is cleaner than many cities around the world ;)

·
Unregistered User
11,993 Posts
but we all know KL is definately improving. I do think, KL is cleaner than some US cities like Oakland, CA or maybe even some parts of New York!

·
RISING LIKE A SPIRE!
6,754 Posts
Depends on the area though and also perceptions. I'm sure we heard of conflicting accounts from different friends who visited other cities. Like some friends said London and Shanghai are dirty while others said they are clean. A Taiwanese friend said KL is clean.
To me KL streets are pretty fine, well in many areas I would say thanks to the cleaners while streets like Jalan Sultan Ismail, Jalan PRamlee and KLCC..people generally who walk around those areas are more civic minded I guess?

·
Registered
126 Posts
^^ agree with all of u, and dodi, this is not something new. the govt. spent millions upon millions to uplift the cleanliness of our cities, but it's still ineffective. why ? because of our cavemen like mentality, like what vince's pointed out. unless ppl here can get rid of this mentality, and start appreciating / maintaining the infrastructures were have, we won't be seeing much improvements.

maybe we should adopt the system practiced in S'pore and HK by summoning compulsive offenders to a certain hours of public service ie. cleaning up the mess they left behind - so let these ppl get a taste of what it feels like to be a road sweeper !!

·
Sri Melenggang Naning
226 Posts
^^ Agree. I am all for the punishment to fit the bill. Get these idiots :bash: to do a certain period of public service as punishment.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
there are other Malaysian cities which i thought clean like Kuching...maybe cleaner than KL right?

but anyhow...the enforcement alone i think is not the right way to achieve long term cleanliness habit among the people...this understanding should comes from their heart...that's why cleanliness should be inculcated from young age..

like a malay proverb 'melentur buluh biarlah dari rebungnya' - To bend a bamboo, start when it's still a shoot

1 - 20 of 62 Posts