SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Paphos

Paphos, usually written Paphos in English, (Greek: Πάφοs) is a coastal town in the south-west of Cyprus. Paphos is the mythical birthplace of Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of love, sex, and beauty. Even the town's name is linked to the goddess, as Paphos was the name of the mythological son of Pygmalion and his statue, which was brought to life by the goddess. Apollodorus of Athens tells us that it was her son Cinyras who founded the city.

In Greco-Roman times it was the island's capital, and it is famous for the remains of the Roman Governor's palace where extensive, fine mosaics are a major tourist attraction. The Apostle Paul visited the town during the 1st century. The town of Paphos is included in the official UNESCO list of cultural and natural treasures of the world's heritage.

Paphos has been inhabited since the Neolithic period. It was founded by King Kinyras in 1400 BC. It was a centre of the cult of Aphrodite and of pre-Hellenic fertility deities. Aphrodite's legendary birthplace was on this island, where her temple was erected by the Myceneans in the 12th century BC. The remains of villas, palaces, theatres, fortresses and tombs mean that the site is of exceptional architectural and historic value. The mosaics of Nea Paphos are among the most beautiful in the world.

The port of Paphos was built by Nicocles, the last king of Paphos, at the time of Alexander the Great. It became the capital of the island replacing Salamis during the Hellenistic, under the successors of Alexander the Great - the Ptolemies and in those days its harbor was a busy, thriving port. Period as its masters, the Ptolemies, favoured a location closer to their capital, Alexandria.

It continued as the island's first city for more than seven centuries, retaining its importance under Roman rule here that Apostle Paul converted the Roman Governor of the time, Sergius Paulus, to Christianity.The Romans retained Pafos as the seat of the Roman Governor. But Paphos history dates back a great deal further. In fact the whole area abounds in historical and archaeological treasure.

Today Paphos, with a population of about 47.300 (end of 2001), is a popular sea and a fast developing tourist resort, home to an attractive fishing harbour. It is divided into two major quarters - Ktima, on the sea terrace, is the main residential district, and Kato Pafos, by the sea, is built around the mediaeval port and contains most of the luxury hotels and the entertainment infrastructure of the city.

Aphrodite's Rock-Πετρα του Ρωμιού
The Rock of Aphrodite is a few kilometres to the west of Pissouri village. The location is especially beautiful at sunset, seen here on 31 December 2001. Its Greek name is Petra tou Romiou or ‘The Rock of the Greek’. Legend has it that Aphrodite, goddess of love and beauty, rose from the waves in this strikingly beautiful spot.

Houses of Dionysos Mosaic near Paphos

Fort of Paphos

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
i havent been to pafos for years...it does have the best hotels on the island,its also the district of the island with the most foreign residents,mainly british,german and dutch.
i will try to visit it during summer

·
Toronto and Athens
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
5,226 Posts
Great Pics Prometheus!

But please, oh please, don't tell me you are a Detroit Red Wings Fan living in Toronto!

If yes, my condolences for their elimination from the playoffs last night...

·
The Jedi Will Rise Again
13,069 Posts
Ladies, I don't know what you are talking about but if it is easy, can we build a replica of this church in central Athens and call it the new Mitropolis?

The link directs to one of the pics above

http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/9570/2520391610084972178nlqykyph5ma.jpg

This is a GORGEOUS church!!! one of the best designs I've seen in my live. what is its name?

And BTW, a question to make: Who is the patron saint of Cyprus?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Saint Barnabas??????

Paphos Airport. Mostly charter flights but the top right in this photos is a military airfield which is able to host Greek AF units.

·
Banned
245 Posts
I miss Paphos and Cyprus so much! Used to live there for some time. Please upload some more photos of this beautiful place.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts