SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
the roof over that historic shopping street is huge! And high. Milan looks great :eek:kay:, can be cold though?

·
Endorsed by the NRA
SSC User of the Year 1987
25,043 Posts
I read somewhere that Milan suffered some heavy bombardments during WW2. Was a lot of the old architecture destroyed?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kamp,80%of the old city centre has been destroyed during the second world war!There's a small hill just behind s.siro stadium:that has been constructed with the stolen buildings!!

·
Endorsed by the NRA
SSC User of the Year 1987
25,043 Posts
Wow, they must have done a great job rebuilding it then. German cities like Cologne suffered destruction on a similar scale but they look like crap compared to Milan.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Milan has been reconstructed in circa 10 years!That's the reason why lots of milanese buildings are modern!

·
No More Italian Mod
39,863 Posts
Kampflamm said:
I read somewhere that Milan suffered some heavy bombardments during WW2. Was a lot of the old architecture destroyed?
Here is a map of Milan historic centre showing the damages of WW2 bombings
-In black: destroyed buildings
-In grey: seriously damaged buildings

Here some pics

S. Maria delle Grazie (where Leonardo's Last supper is)

Università Statale (designed by Filarete in '500)

Internal view of La Scala theatre

Palazzo Reale (nearby Duomo)

Palazzo Marino

Sant'Ambrogio Basilica

Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II

Nowaydays, sometimes, when they excavate to start a new building, or for metro tunnel or other, they find an inexploded bomb of WW2 (they found one just two weeks ago at Rogoredo bourogh)

To present now!

Here they are some pics I took on Monte Stella, the artificial hill they built with the rackages of the war
Now is a park and I love doing footing on there
(click to enlarge the images)

·
Metalhead User
1,406 Posts
Cool pics!! :)

·
No More Italian Mod
39,863 Posts
michal1982 said:
why they don't want to rebuilt this gourges buildings???
They rebuilt historical buildings
If you reach and visit Milan nowadays you can see still standing churches and building i posted (like Galleria or la Scala theatre...); incredibly quite always you think is old in Milan city centre is probably a "rebuilding" after WWII, with illoustrious exeptions: like Duomo or Castello Sforzesco, not seriously damaged from bombings

But the other buildings without a very important cultural and historical value (like common houses), even if old they simply were demolished and replaced by modern architectures (in most of cases awful...)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts