Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It doesn't matter if it is a highway or not. My point is that the roads in luanda are of a very poor standard and the designs of these roads don't make sense for a city with over 5 million people.

·
Banned
1,150 Posts
It doesn't matter if it is a highway or not. My point is that the roads in luanda are of a very poor standard and the designs of these roads don't make sense for a city with over 5 million people.
I am slightly confused. I counted 4 lanes on that road, so how is that poor for a city of 5 million. Do you expect them to have 8 lanes each side? or just single lanes. Your opinion doesn't make sense at all.:bash:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Arsenalno, the only practical road in luanda is the marginal. It has all proper intersections and interchanges u would see in any modern day city. But the chicala road among many other roads in luanda doesn't have any proper intersections or "interchanges" rather they have ones that don't make any sense, which causes a lot of congestion in luanda. Please do take my word for it as I travel these chaotic roads everyday.

·
Banned
1,150 Posts
Arsenalno, the only practical road in luanda is the marginal. It has all proper intersections and interchanges u would see in any modern day city. But the chicala road among many other roads in luanda doesn't have any proper intersections or "interchanges" rather they have ones that don't make any sense, which causes a lot of congestion in luanda. Please do take my word for it as I travel these chaotic roads everyday.
So why are the government not investing in roads in Luanda then? And I slightly disagree with you. I have family that live in Benfica, and we do get a lot of problems with roads, but we have seen so many changed recently.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Matthias, dont u mean new offices and poorly designed new highways?
They do, but the government does not design them properly or as I believe it is the construction company odebrecht who design the roads rather not the government.

:banana::banana::banana: I totally agree with you man.

I think we are wasting alot of money (billions of dollars) and time building these expensive poorly designed roads, whether they are highways, cityroads,expressways, municipal roads, etc.

Unfortunately, the majority of the people in Angola still haven't figure out

·
Registered
40,884 Posts
Matthias, dont u mean new offices and poorly designed new highways?
Sorry, I don´t have the slightest clue of what you are talking about. You must be looking at other pictures than me. This road is well built and it could be anywhere in Europe, too.

And I think Angola as a whole has come a long way - given that barely any roads existed in the country after the war ended...most inner country cities were once akin to hell - way below general African standard back in 2002.

And who says that the country is already rebuilt!? We are all fully aware that the road ahead is still thorny and very long in order to become a modern country.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Onde vives todavia ou where do you live anyway?
Nova Vida
Sorry, I don´t have the slightest clue of what you are talking about. You must be looking at other pictures than me. This road is well built and it could be anywhere in Europe, too.
Yes I travel this road and when it connects to the marginal in turns from a 6 lane road to a 2 lane which is always congested. So yeah i don't think it is a high class road.

And I think Angola as a whole has come a long way - given that barely any roads existed in the country after the war ended...most inner country cities were once akin to hell - way below general African standard back in 2002.
I also think that but it's road standard is still lacking in the capital as there is no highways and the highest set speed limit I've ever seen on the roads entering the capital (but no one follows) is 60KM/h !!!
And who says that the country is already rebuilt!? We are all fully aware that the road ahead is still thorny and very long in order to become a modern country.
The way it looks now, I don't think for the next 10 years (unless they finally realize how bad their road are compared to the rest of africa) we will see any improvement in road designs in Luanda.

·
Registered
40,884 Posts
Nova Vida

Yes I travel this road and when it connects to the marginal in turns from a 6 lane road to a 2 lane which is always congested. So yeah i don't think it is a high class road.
I have seen that as well...but the one you are talking of widens after that again.

I also think that but it's road standard is still lacking in the capital as there is no highways and the highest set speed limit I've ever seen on the roads entering the capital (but no one follows) is 60KM/h !!!
No highways and no roads? Are you sure that you live in Luanda and not in Bangui?

The way it looks now, I don't think for the next 10 years (unless they finally realize how bad their road are compared to the rest of africa) we will see any improvement in road designs in Luanda.
Compared to the rest of Africa?

Yes, you are right in comparison to South Africa - which has an insurmountable headstart in almost anything one can think of (despite numerous problems the country faces it is nevertheless already "out of Africa" in many respects). And Nigeria whose road and highway network is undeniably denser than Angola´s.....(but that´s no surprise given that Lagos alone has more inhabitants that entire Angola).....over and above, the latter two didn´t loose 30 years due to a stupid bloody civil war that destroyed almost everything that Angola inherited and upon which A LOT could have been built in the years following independence, including a truly dense urban highway system that the country could have had already in the 1980s/early 1990s.

So I understand your problem but don´t expect miracles now. It will take time.

·
29,966 Posts
No highways and no roads? Are you sure that you live in Luanda and not in Bangui?
I'm sorry to disappoint you my friend but Angola doesn't have any highway!!

·
Be Your Self
812 Posts
??
viana??

I saw videos of the highway that goes to viana and cacuaco
we do have highways and expressways. Now the problem starts whem one try to compare ours expressways and highways with others around the world. Especialy when it comes to avoid people that lives in the surround areas, from get crazely in this infrastructures. Outthere in europe and in americas this especials roads are fenced and managed by companys, that provides you with all the services a motordriver needs when using those roads, like assistance 24/7, gas stations, good signs and idications, etc. apart from the fence and the 24/7 assistance company we do have lights, some safety signs and indications, public fast emergeny services and police, and gas stations. the big problem are the people living around, that makes a simple drive in a seriously car crash accident. Rembember we are in the begining but we have several expressways (Samba expressway, Rocha Pinto expressway, Golf expressway, Patriota expressway, Viana expressway, Kifangondo-Luanda expressway, etc) in Luanda, one or two in Benguela, one in Cabinda, Huambo, Lubango and Ongiva, and currently we have only one highway of 52 km in Luanda. In 2015 or 2016, the major highway in Angola, already in construction will be the Luanda-Soyo highway.
Again for some people they seem like pathetic roads but for those who always lived in Luanda, and know very well the olds roads, they are the beginning of the future that still to come.

·
29,966 Posts
??
viana??

I saw videos of the highway that goes to viana and cacuaco
LOL. You even showed them yourself in the past...but never mind, skytrax.

And yes, Angola has only dirt and gravel and no tarred roads at all. Thanks for pushing things into perspective.
One-nation, Matthias and Hammelkar, I guess you guys do not have a drivers license. If you do, you should definitely go back to a driving school to learn the proper definition of an highway! :nuts::nuts::nuts:

·
29,966 Posts
that's a highway anywhere in the world.
Maybe because you live in America and you might use another term. But over here Highway=Freeway or Motorway! At least that is the translation of "autoestrada"..

Have you ever seen highway/Freeway with same level U-turns?
Have you ever seen highway/Freeway where pedestrian can cross it?
Have you ever seen highway/Freeway with speed limit of 60Km/hour?
Have you ever seen highway/Freeway where non-motored vehicle can circulate freely?
Have you ever seen highway/Freeway with vertical traffic signs?
Have you ever seen highway/Freeway with access to properties?
Have you ever seen highway/Freeway with interchange on the same level?
Have you ever seen highway/Freeway with uncontrolled flow of entering or exiting vehicles?

·
Registered
40,884 Posts
@skytrax, I have a driving licence which I received in a highly developed country which is known to have numerous fussy & strict rules...and sorry, highways aren´t much different over here.

that's a highway anywhere in the world.

Well, not so for Skytrax!:? For him that´s a "bullshit dirt & untarred road".

Maybe he has already stuffed too much genetically engineered food into his mouth during his stay in the States which would explain his reaction - to a certain degree. LOL

1 - 20 of 94 Posts