Skyscraper City Forum banner
101 - 120 of 374 Posts

·
Batik
4,749 Posts
Medan Great Mosque

Great Mosque in Medan, Indonesia. Courtesy of : Blue_Sky an Indonesian Forumer.

·
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa
1,568 Posts
Sagrada Familia Cathedral, Barcelona by Antoni Gaudi.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Churches too busy

I have to say, that I am quite bemused why churches are so 'busy' inside. Cherebs, and this carving and that carving, etc.

How on earth do you get to contemplate with so much 'busyness'.

The pictures of the interior of the mosques seem soo much more tranquil , almost like a reflection of the open sky, with the large domed areas and open expansions

·
LIBERTINED
45,426 Posts
Joshua, thanks a lot for the great pics of the stunning reconstructed Frauenkirche in Dresden :) It's my new favourite (before it was Cologne Cathedral)
I'm excited about to see the rebuilded Neumarkt in Dresden ;)

·
У Борщин
1,204 Posts
I have to say, that I am quite bemused why churches are so 'busy' inside. Cherebs, and this carving and that carving, etc.

How on earth do you get to contemplate with so much 'busyness'.

The pictures of the interior of the mosques seem soo much more tranquil , almost like a reflection of the open sky, with the large domed areas and open expansions
There's also a lot of busyness inide mosques too though. Lots of intricate patterns and designs all over the place. I'm not insulting, I find it beautiful, but while Mosques may lack statues and such, they don't lack the busyness ;).

And the secret to contemplating in such busyness... close your eyes and concentrate. Also, the paintings, statues, and stained glass often give you something to contemplate as well, as they all stand for something.

·
129,276 Posts
There are a lot of religious symbols and details in any place of worship. Christian churches have an extensive focus on artwork, from statues to stained glass windows. Mosques are a bit more plain appearance-wise but there is also a lot of symbolism as well. Buddhist temples are very well decorated.

·
Registered
725 Posts
There are a lot of religious symbols and details in any place of worship. Christian churches have an extensive focus on artwork, from statues to stained glass windows. Mosques are a bit more plain appearance-wise but there is also a lot of symbolism as well. Buddhist temples are very well decorated.
depends on what christian faith, protestants made a 180 on the katholic church and threw oud all schulptures and ornaments and saints etc and went back to the plain religion because they had enough of the excesses.

·
Registered
441 Posts
The Pantheon in Rome it's certainly one of the most important religious building with its dome that it's the largest surviving from antiquity and was the largest dome in western Europe until Brunelleschi's dome of the Duomo of Florence.

In Italy there are also the Cathedral of Pisa with its tower, the cathedrals of Palermo and Monreale, Renzo Piano's church in San Giovanni Rotondo and the many churches in the historical centre of Naples..
but for me the best, at least for location, it's in France and that is Mont saint Michel..

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Oh My...! Looking through six pages and not ONE Baha'i temple :eek:hno:

Oh well, I shall have the honour then...

My most favourite one.. That I have also visited is..

Temple of The Báb: Mt. Carmel, Haifa, Israel

Universal House of Justice, Baha'i Library and the Temple

My other favourite one That I have been to is

Would love to one day see the one in Chicago...

Baha'i Temple in Sydney, Australia: Very peacefull surroundings

My least favourite Baha'i temple... but I can see how some might appreciate the architecture:

Lotus Temple, Delhi

Im not sure but I think photography is not permitted in Baha'i Temples... The one in sydney is very basic but buautiful and the Temple of The Báb is very lavish but of course it would be because it is the final resting place of the Báb.

Personally I also like the Blue Mosque, would love to visit day.

101 - 120 of 374 Posts