SkyscraperCity banner

361 - 380 of 390 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
WORLD MOST DEVELOPED ADVANCED AND HYPER TECHNOLOGY BASED NEOM CITY COUNSTRATION GOING TO START IN Q1 OF 2021

Oil-free future: What is Saudi Arabia's Neom project
The eco-city with zero cars, roads or carbon emissions is called 'The Line' and is part of the kingdom's $500 billion

Neom project
The construction project is aimed at diversifying Saudi's economy. It is also Crown Prince Mohammed's latest vision for Saudi Arabia's future beyond oil.

Saudi Crown Prince unveils 'The Line' hyper-connected project at NEOM
Construction of THE LINE will commence in Q1 of 2021. The 170km belt is touted to be one of the most complex infra projects in the world

Here's all you need to know about the mega project:

Neom is the crown jewel of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salaman's plan to diversify the economy of the country.

The project will be built from scratch along the kingdom's picturesque Red Sea coast. It is built as a development evocative of a sci-fi blockbuster.

The Neom development project was announced in 2017 by Prince Mohammed as a pillar of his Vision 2030 plan to rid Saudi Arabia of its reliance on crude oil revenues. It spans more than 10,000 square miles in a remote area of the country's northwest.

The project is slated to create 380,000 jobs and contribute 180 billion riyals ($48 billion) to the kingdom's gross domestic product (GDP) by 2030.

The 170 km eco-city, dubbed as 'The Line' will be able to accommodate 1 million residents in "carbon-positive urban developments" by 2030.

The project is the conclusion of three years of preparation and infrastructure of the city would cost $100 billion to $200 billion.

The pedestrian city will have services such as schools, health centres and green spaces, as well as high-speed public transportation, with no journey expected to take more than 20 minutes.

It will be powered by 100 per cent clean energy, providing pollution-free, healthier and more sustainable environments for residents.

The city would be built around ultra-high speed transit and autonomous mobility solutions. Artificial intelligence will play a key role in the city.

The backbone of investment in 'The Line' will come from the $500 billion support to Neom by the Saudi government, PIF and local and global investors over 10 years.

Construction is expected to start in the first quarter of 2021 and will be able to house a million residents by 2030.

Saudi's sovereign wealth fund, the Public Investment Fund (PIF), is the cornerstone investor in Neom
Please cut off the Saudi government's sci-fi movie supply.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Christ.
That project from KSA resembles what they planned on the Jeddah, what the Azerbaijanis planned for their Azerbaijan Tower.
Works on paper, but probably ends in shambles if seriously thought on.
Frankly speaking it a polite sense this project is illogical. In a brutal sense it's stupid.

·
Registered
10,051 Posts
Whatever B1M is, it’s patting itself on the back and taking partial credit for putting the brakes on megatalls.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It looks like after PNB 118 is completed this thread will be empty for a while. With China's ban on buildings over 500 meters there is basically nothing left that is proposed to be a Megatall now. The only mega tall building other than PNB 118 that even made it up a decent portion above ground was Jeddah Tower. However the building has been on hold for over three years now (since February 2018) with hardly any news on it at all, other than the empty claims that it will "resume eventually". Maybe Jeddah Tower would have resumed if it wasn't due to COVID-19. But now the virus as made it even more unlikely than before with economy's getting recked and with people working from home. With all that's happening now it could very well be over a decade or even longer until we see another Megatall building getting built. There is simply not the demand to build them right now and the ones that have been built are for bragging rights. Until there are some more advances in technology and more demand for these giants. Would we actually start seeing more of them sprout up. But it looks like we will have a long empty period like what happened for Supertalls after the Empire State Building was built where none of them get built for up least a decade if not longer :(.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
So to recap, this is roughly where the Megatalls with currently active construction threads are standing as of today:

KUALA LUMPUR | Merdeka 118 | 656m U/C, close to topping out.

KUALA LUMPUR | Tradewinds Square | 775m | 2543ft | 150 fl | Pro - The site is empty and the developer has been quiet for a several years now. It may not be dead, but it's certainly smelling like it.

BANGKOK | Grand Rama 9 Tower | 615m | 2018ft | 125 fl | On Hold - Last we heard, they were building a park on its site. Nothing concrete has been said about the tower for a while, but things certainly don't bode well for it either. The tower was claimed to be cancelled in February 2019, but as no source was provided the thread is still left open.

DUBAI | Uptown Dubai Tower 1 - Burj 2020 | 711m | 2333ft | 115 fl | App - This is the tallest tower in a proposed cluster. The second tallest tower in the cluster (which is less than half as tall as Tower 1) is under construction, but the construction office is situated on the plot of the Megatall. They obviously aren't expecting to build it any time soon. No tower taller than 360 meters which was proposed in Dubai after the financial crisis has come to fruition, and there have been many proposals.

KUALA LUMPUR | Bandar Malaysia Landmark Tower | 600m+ | 1969ft+ | 150 fl | Pro - Seems to be on the masterplan concept stage at the moment, with some crazy designs proposed, but little of substance has been presented yet.

SHENZHEN | Baishizhou Redevelopment | 600m | 1968ft | 350m x 8 | 1148ft x 8 | 250m x 10 | 820ft x 10 | Pro - Pending confirmation of a downscale shown on renders leaked through Gaoloumi.

PUERTO PRINCESA | Princesa Tower | 680m | 2231ft | 128 fl | Pro - Obviously a vision. They have no location, no money, and no solid business case.

KUALA LUMPUR | Tower M KLCC | 700m+ | 2296ft+ | 145 fl | Prep - The latest statement from the developer is "Construction will resume after 2030", which is business speak for "Someday so far into the future we're not committing to anything". A mall is being built at the site, ostensibly serving as a podium for the tower, but the tower itself seems to be a long way off, if ever.

JAKARTA | Signature Tower Jakarta | 638m | 2093ft | 113 fl | Pro - The can that's forever kicked down the road. There doesn't seem to be much demand for the tower in Jakarta, and the site of the tower is currently being used for the site office for another construction project. It's remarkably similar to Uptown Dubai Tower 1 in that regard.

DUBAI | Dubai Creek Tower | 1300m+ | 4265ft+ | 210 fl | On Hold - Foundations completed in May 2018, no news since. With no credible competitors in sight, and given the state of the real estate market in Dubai, I wouldn't expect anything of this for the foreseeable future. It has been removed from the developer's website as well.

DUBAI | LT Tower Business Bay | 600m+ | 1969ft+ | 100 fl+ | App - A Megatall proposal out of the blue last year, from one of Dubai's mid-sized property developers. The tower is only presented through one low-res render on an amazingly crappy website. I'd pile it straight on the Vision list for now.

SEOUL | Yongsan International Business District | 621m | 2037ft | Pro - From what I can gather, the tower was the centrepiece of a fancy new business district master plan, but when the master plan was revised the tower was nowhere to be seen anymore. It likely died on the proposal stage, but there are no official words just yet. The district is not expected to begin construction until 2023 anyway.

JEDDAH | Jeddah Tower | 1000m+ | 3281ft+ | 167 fl | On Hold - One day around three years ago, construction stopped when the tower was around 270 m tall, and it hasn't started again. There hasn't been a word from the developer since, except vague reassurances that "it is planned to resume construction". Given the tower's somewhat remote location, the state of the real estate market, and general state of the world at the moment, I'm not expecting this one to go forward anytime soon.

DUBAI | Dubai One | 711m | 2333ft | 161 fl | App - This one was planned to be built next to a big huge mall, which began construction but went on hold at some point in 2019. It seems like the plan was to use the profits from the mall to build the tower, but now the mall seems to be in the blue as well. Apparently, the developer got in trouble too, which is generally seen as another nail in the coffin for ultra-grandiose projects like this.

HANOI | Phuong Trach Tower | 600m | 108 fl | 1968ft | Pro - I'm not even sure if this is even serious or a Vision. The thread was made last year, but apparently the tower was first announced in 2016 with no news since. Apparently there is a master plan for the area, but I'm not sure whether the tower is actually involved in it or just proposed by some architects.

So yeah, it's a mix of flimsily grounded proposals, projects long since put on hold, and plans that have been kicked down the road for years now. After Merdeka 118 tops out, the next Megatall may be a long way away. But I think there will always be a steady stream of new proposals, or developers trying to drum up PR by pretending to revive their long-dead stalled projects. We'll have Megatalls as a subject of discussion for some time, at least, even though there may not be ongoing construction. Perhaps this forum could be moved to become a sub-forum of Supertalls if Merdeka 118 finishes without anything substantial happening in the meantime.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ignore the Tradewinds and Bandar Malaysia. The latter might be possible when I was visiting Kuala Lumpur in 2018 where the construction site was in full-speed to build a massive complex right there. The Tradewinds is logically a suicidal attempt financially with the oversupply of offices in the Kuala Lumpur region right now.

·
Denizen-Cosmic Billiards
Chuckiediddieboppy
11,033 Posts
I get the feeling most of these towers were conceived,and even some of them started,just for the sake of gathering international prestige - Not very practical and let alone trying to make a rational economic statement...Sad!

Thank you.

Chuckie.

Reactions: A Chicagoan

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have to be the eternal optimist here again...
I definitely feel that truly viable megatalls are only a few technological innovations away, and so I think we will see many of them springing up in places like 2030s Mumbai or 2040s Lagos

·
Registered
Creo en el libre mercado y la innovación como herramientas para progresar
513 Posts
I have to be the eternal optimist here again...
I definitely feel that truly viable megatalls are only a few technological innovations away, and so I think we will see many of them springing up in places like 2030s Mumbai or 2040s Lagos
Mumbai The theme for which India Tower is not specific in addition to financing, without talking about the World One cut, is the restriction by the airport, In China we all saw some growth but from the needle cutting of Ping An Finance Center and the head cutting of Wuhan Greenland Center and the ban is that all hope was already lost in the short term of seeing a megatall other than Merdeka 118 Al Be the majority of China's proposals

·
Registered
656 Posts
I’ve been wondering if the 500 meter height limit in China would apply to regions like Macau or Hong Kong since they’re only an administrative district. Anyone got an answer? I know that I already posted this in the past present future forum in the supertalls thread but I’m genuinely curious

·
I Love Chicago!
11,087 Posts
I’ve been wondering if the 500 meter height limit in China would apply to regions like Macau or Hong Kong since they’re only an administrative district. Anyone got an answer? I know that I already posted this in the past present future forum in the supertalls thread but I’m genuinely curious
I'm guessing not, since HK and Macau seem to be mostly doing their own thing from Mainland China, apart from the political issues. I don't think Beijing is gonna be cracking down on rebellious skyscraper developers!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Looks like Hong Kong and Macau are our only hopes on China getting a second megatall
I thought HK has their own height restriction laws that buildings cannot be higher than the mountains around them but am not sure if that applies to all locations.

For Macau, don't UNESCO heritage sites have to comply to certain restrictions too if they don't want to lose that heritage status? Again that might only apply to the particular heritage areas and not those beyond?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would say, no. Macau isn't a place for skyscrapers, it's not viable except for the tourist industry.
Hong Kong is dead on skyscrapers. They're too dense. No hope for that then. The only possibility is the Shenzhen - Hong Kong region, that might be the last place that China would build a megatall there. But honestly, I don't see a point in building one. It's more on satisfying aesthetics rather than economics.

·
whitest boy in the delta
13,151 Posts
i'm waiting for ropeless elevator technology to improve the megatall economic viability

Reactions: KNR and QalzimCity

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
I guess it would have been already answered somewhere but put simply what is the reason to limit the height to 500 m in China?

361 - 380 of 390 Posts