SkyscraperCity banner

381 - 400 of 401 Posts

·
whitest boy in the delta
13,263 Posts
I guess it would have been already answered somewhere but put simply what is the reason to limit the height to 500 m in China?

it is a bit sensationalist in its presentation, but the key points in this video are quite solid.

Reactions: juangch5 and matsoc

·
Registered
80 Posts
"China has banned all cities from building new supertall skyscrapers except in 'special' circumstances to improve urban landscapes, according to a directive.
The central government has prohibited regional officials from 'blindly designing and building' towers taller than 500 metres (1,640 feet).
The construction of those taller than 250 metres (820 feet) will be 'strictly limited', the document adds." - Daily Mail

The Chinese government banned any construction of skyscrapers taller than 500 meters in late June - early July last year with the statement of reducing unnecessary construction of impractical skyscraper, although allowing exclusions under special circumstances. It aims to reduce the over-development on the way up by recommending the construction of smaller alternatives. Quite a good move though.

·
19,604 Posts
It's been awhile since we've heard from the Abraj Al Bait! I've always wondered why we don't see THE WORLD'S FOURTH TALLEST BUILDING so often.
Probably because billions of the world's population are not openly welcomed there, and the global pandemic has disrupted the religious observance of the remaining population from visiting.

·
13,665 Posts
Malaysia have secured additional 10,000 hajj quota to Mecca when the pandemic got back to normal.

·
I Love Chicago!
12,034 Posts

·
whitest boy in the delta
13,263 Posts
Still one of my favorite skyscrapers. It's just soo massive, I love it's proportions.

Reactions: A Chicagoan

·
Cotton
9,163 Posts
Laktha center 2 conception. 703m tall

·
Registered
27 Posts
Laktha center 2 conception. 703m tall

This is really good news i think if they actually start this 703m building we’ll definitely see alot of megatalls resume after it dubai wants to have the highest observation deck so maybe they’ll start the uptown tower or Dubai one

·
19,604 Posts

·
whitest boy in the delta
13,263 Posts
is that on an artificial island?

·
Registered
456 Posts
My favorite visionary building has always been the Sky City 1000. I know that a lot of time has passed by since 1989, and the circumstances that led to its proposal have changed, but it is still a somewhat viable idea. If by some way land prices in a place of the world skyrocket, just like 1980s Japan, some similar project could be revived. It was different to a typical skyscraper in the sense that it was more a like a city, rathen than single-purpose building. It contained parks, plazzas, efficient transport systems, shopping, housing ect.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I believe megatalls don't simply appear because they wanted to, they appeared because of political reasons, the sheer political will. The 4 nations that has megatalls now, almost have the same reason why they built their own: national pride.

Shanghai Tower - to show that China is a global superpower;
Burj Khalifa - to become the tallest in the world;
Burj al-Bait - to assert KSA as the dominant Middle Eastern power, and;
PNB118 - to establish Malaysia with another Petronas Towers-like icon.

Honestly, each of these buildings are iconic, not because of their height but the meaning behind it. PNB118 was blasted as wasteful in cost, Shanghai Tower lacked tenants, Burj Khalifa is in the middle of some city-builder's nightmare, and Burj al-Bait, well it's enough to serve the millions pilgriming the holy-land.

Lakhta Tower II is more likely a conceptual freestanding superstructure, rather than an actual skyscraper. If it's a skycraper then what' the point of the Lakhta Center?

·
Registered
794 Posts
While you have a point, a few megatalls have been built by independent developers to show how powerful they are. The only political megatall I can think of is Abraj Al Bait. All of the megatalls that were proposed only to be scaled down or downright cancelled were also planned by independent developers. With the megatalls we’ve been given, 118 and the Burj Khalifa have probably been the only successful megatalls. The Abraj Al Bait only serves one purpose and the Shanghai Tower while an absolute beauty of a skyscraper is basically a tenants nightmare due to lack of office space, and Goldin Finance 117 has been an absolute mess with it being topped out since 2015 and still is yet to be completed and the only way that it can probably be completed through government intervention, even though it’s not a megatall there have been rumors of it being one and it’s literally 12 feet shorter than megatall status

·
whitest boy in the delta
13,263 Posts
381 - 400 of 401 Posts