SkyscraperCity banner

16121 - 16140 of 16187 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
NYC and Chi skyline: way too dated and not the best.
By "way too dated" you mean all those Gothic/Neo-Gothic, Art Deco, Beaux Arts and Mid-Century-Modern masterpieces that only Chicago and New York offer on a significant level? They are the two greatest skyscraper museums in the world and it's not even close. These Asian and Middle East start-up super city skylines is like comparing contemporary art to the old masters. Chicago is adding more than its fair share of blue glass towers to stay current.

·
It was aliens
4,678 Posts
By "way too dated" you mean all those Gothic/Neo-Gothic, Art Deco, Beaux Arts and Mid-Century-Modern masterpieces that only Chicago and New York offer on a significant level? They are the two greatest skyscraper museums in the world and it's not even close. These Asian and Middle East start-up super city skylines is like comparing contemporary art to the old masters. Chicago is adding more than its fair share of blue glass towers to stay current.
Seriously. NY and Chicago are the only two cities in the world that have both old and futuristic new skyscrapers.

The 70s boxes, sure, those are a stain on the skylines of those cities but they pretty much have it all other than that.

·
It was aliens
4,678 Posts
Seriously. NY and Chicago are the only two cities in the world that have both old and futuristic new skyscrapers.

The 70s boxes, sure, those are a stain on the skylines of those cities but they pretty much have it all other than that.
Sorry, let me rephrase: The only two top-caliber skyscraper cities scale wise to have it all in this aspect. There are some other cities that mix old and new pretty well but aren't big / tall enough to be noticed globally.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts

Hong Kong, Dubai, Sao Paulo and others have more interesting and bigger skyline than NY or Chi.

·
I Love Chicago!
7,664 Posts
Hong Kong, Dubai, Sao Paulo and others have more interesting and bigger skyline than NY or Chi.

Hong Kong and Dubai? OK, maybe according to your criteria, they MIGHT be better than NYC or Chicago. But Sao Paulo? You're only kidding yourself!

·
It was aliens
4,678 Posts

Hong Kong and Dubai? OK, maybe according to your criteria, they MIGHT be better than NYC or Chicago. But Sao Paulo? You're only kidding yourself!
I hope / am assuming he has Sao Paulo confused for another city lol

While Hong Kong and Dubai are damn impressive HK has far fewer supertalls and Dubai has fewer skyscrapers overall than NYC so it depends on what aspect. As far as Chicago goes it's probably more Kuala Lumpur or Guangzhou caliber.

Personally I think Shanghai or Shenzhen is more of a match for NYC.

More interesting is subjective, but bigger, what aspect are you referring to?

I'll take the Woolworth or Chrysler building over most others, as far as supertall / super-modern goes Vista and Steinway are two of my favorites, just to name a few.

·
112,706 Posts

Going to add London to that as well. Maybe less so for very old skyscrapers, but more contrast between the historic buildings and new, bold skyscrapers.

·
It was aliens
4,678 Posts
Going to add London to that as well. Maybe less so for very old skyscrapers, but more contrast between the historic buildings and new, bold skyscrapers.
True, I meant ones that are top-caliber scale / height wise though. But London is definitely cool in the way it blends new and old.

16121 - 16140 of 16187 Posts