Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before the Portriat of Liverpool thread decended into namecallling and finger pointing there were some inetersting posts made about the communities that built Liverpool, Irish, Welsh etc.

This got me wondering, Is it still important to have these, and other communites defined with shops, centers etc, or would Liverpool benifit from being one big melting pot, with areas like China town nothing more that a historical foot note, or do these communities need encouragment to prosper and remain solid. How would you favour differnt communities for money or exposure for interest.

Any comments on newly developing communities, or how older communities are adapting to modern Liverpool would be of interest too.

I'll post my thought on it all in a little while.

·
Banned
1,293 Posts
Wormella said:
Before the Portriat of Liverpool thread decended into namecallling and finger pointing there were some inetersting posts made about the communities that built Liverpool, Irish, Welsh etc.

This got me wondering, Is it still important to have these, and other communites defined with shops, centers etc, or would Liverpool benifit from being one big melting pot, with areas like China town nothing more that a historical foot note, or do these communities need encouragment to prosper and remain solid. How would you favour differnt communities for money or exposure for interest.

Any comments on newly developing communities, or how older communities are adapting to modern Liverpool would be of interest too.

Liverpool has always been a melting pot. The only people to hang onto their roots are those of direct Irish decent - usually a mother or father who is Irish. but these are very few these days. The rest don't give a toss really and blend into the culture quite well - even the Jews who are notorious for not mixing too well. Of the other melting pot cities, mainly American, only Liverpool seamlessly blends them all in, while NY, Boston, even London, has distinct districts of ethnic backgrounds.

In answer to your question. No. Chinatown is about the only district that should have its own signature as it is Europe’s, and possibly the western world’s, oldest Chinese community.

·
Registered
745 Posts
even big melting pots will have some unique places attracting different types of people, theyre like big luumps of potato and carrots in liverpools pan of scouse

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Don't forget the Italian community that existed in the streets by the Anglican cathedral that no longer are there. There was also one in Scotland Road, there are many descendants from this still in liverpool, but its one of those communities that isnt really associated with Liverpool

·
Banned
1,293 Posts
Louis1986 said:
Don't forget the Italian community that existed in the streets by the Anglican cathedral that no longer are there. There was also one in Scotland Road, there are many descendants from this still in liverpool, but its one of those communities that isnt really associated with Liverpool
It goes to show Liverpool works then. Its overpowering culture supresses all the pretenders.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Wormella said:

I suppose really integration is the only way forward.
To have separate communities would only foster animosities especially amongst the younger elements.
Witness the racial/religious tensions between the Irish communities of Liverpool in the early years and now thankfully died out.
It all sounds good in theory having China Towns and italian quarters etc.. but it just doesn't work in practice.
Even in our present China Town many of the Chinese actually live in other parts of Liverpool,integrated into the city.

·
800th birthday in 2007
4,192 Posts
Liverpool doesn't have an asian (Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi) area, probably due to the lack of a textile industry, but does have asian people spread all over the place. A Pakistani friend from school days used to live in the Granby area, but moved to Manchester due to later work in the textile industry.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Blabbernsmoke said:
Liverpool has that beautiful synagogue on Princes Road, but does the city still have a Jewish community like Leeds? I've also noticed that Liverpool doesnt' have many Asian people, like Leeds does.

Liverpool has a small and tightly knit Jewish community. There's a Jewish School (King Davids).

For more info feast your eyes on:

http://www.liverpooljewish.com/html/high_school.html

·
Fugly
11,311 Posts
There's a synagogue just over the road from me. People arrive there in coachloads, so I doubt it's a small, centralised community. You see plenty of blokes with impressive sideburns and black cowboy hats around here as well. :)

·
Banned
1,293 Posts
Bunnyman said:
There's a synagogue just over the road from me. People arrive there in coachloads, so I doubt it's a small, centralised community. You see plenty of blokes with impressive sideburns and black cowboy hats around here as well. :)
Where is that? Othodox Jewish people in funny clothes never were walking the streets of Liverpool.

·
Fugly
11,311 Posts
Greenbank Drive, er Toxteth (Sefton Park). Just around the back of the Total Garage.

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
Distinct communities form because people want a bit of security and semblence of 'normaility' in a new place. These should be allowed to happen, but should not be encouraged or 'factored' in like some tourism attraction.

You see this continual flow, adaptation and eventual assimilation in all the worlds great 'melting pot cities'. Liverpool has indeed been a great example of this for most.. only recently allowing black people out of their ghetto.

At my school in 'Irish Huyton' Siebenthaler was not such a particularly odd (i.e 'foreign') name, as there where loads of Vereys, Moscardinis, Karpovsky's etc... but only two black kids!... strangely though there was at least a dozen S.E Asians.

Immigrants also come to improve their lives... Liverpool has offered no chance of that for the last thurty years so immigration has not been as large... now that the city is improving so is this situation.

·
Registered
326 Posts
My Dad said he heard there is a well established and fairly tight knit Yemeni community in Liverpool, which is quite interesting. Not sure to what extent this is or when they first came and settled but Yemen being a seafaring nation to some extent it could be quite an old community.

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
Liverpool does, and continued doing so even during the worst of the 80s', have immigration, but this is mainly from areas we have historic ties with, so immigrants come here to join families etc. We have not seen, yet, the mass migrations from all over the world other places, particualrly the SE has seen.

There is a strong community of Somalis who are mainly asylum seekers, rather than economic migrants.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts