Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Melbourne the most admired knowledge city

Melbourne has won the Most Admired Knowledge City (MAKCi) Award for a third time, at the sixth Knowledge Cities World Summit held earlier this month in Istanbul, Turkey. The award is an international acknowledgement of the City of Melbourne’s vision of being a place where ideas and talent thrive, based on a well-resourced education and research sector and knowledge networks, as reflected in the fourth goal of the Council Plan 2013-2017. City of Melbourne Knowledge City portfolio chair Councillor Jackie Watts said Melbourne’s award is in the city category of Knowledge Metropolis. “At the City of Melbourne, we believe a Knowledge City is short hand for an economy driven by high value-added exports created through research, technology and intellectual power,” Cr Watts said. “This third MAKCi Award for the City shows we are actively increasing our community capital by using knowledge-based industries to generate innovative solutions to our city challenges.”

- See more at: http://oh-yes-melbourne.tumblr.com/...t-admired-knowledge-city#sthash.cMUTIAKh.dpuf

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
MONOCLE MAGAZINE 2014 list of the World's Most Liveable Cities:

1 Copenhagen
2 Tokyo
3 Melbourne
4 Stockholm
5 Helsinki
6 Vienna
7 Zürich
8 Munich
9 Kyoto
10 Fukuoka

11 Sydney
12 Auckland
25 Brisbane

SOURCE

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

There was a delightful little exchange on Twitter earlier this year when much admired British actor Hugh Laurie was in town. The Black Adder and House star tweeted his admiration for our fair city to his 580,000 followers: “Bloody hell Melbourne is lovely. Why was I not informed?” One of the first to respond was fellow actor and comic collaborator Stephen Fry, who posted: “Surely I told you. Best street furnishing, coffee and architecture of any S. Hemisphere city … kiss its paving stones for me.” The online banter was a refreshing departure for a medium that is more accustomed to bagging people, places and pretty much everything else, but it should surprise no one. For Melbourne is indeed lovely, and more and more visitors are beginning to learn just what a desirable city it is, with tourist numbers soaring particularly when compared with other Australian cities.

Victorians, especially Melburnians, should rejoice; the city by the bay is the no.1 dream destination for Australian travellers and quickly becoming the preferred choice for cashed-up overseas tourists. Melbourne is staking its claim as Australia’s premier city for holiday-makers with research showing that it is ahead of all other destinations, domestic and international, as the place Australians would most like to visit in the next two years. Roy Morgan research released last month showed that 21.5 per cent of respondents picked Melbourne as a destination they want to holiday in ahead of the Gold Coast (16.2 per cent), UK (14.6 per cent), US (14.4 per cent) and New Zealand rounding out the top five with 12.6 per cent. Research also revealed that Australian holiday-makers visited Melbourne in greater numbers than any other city or region in the past year. You read that correctly: Melbourne attracted more visitors than any other Australian destination.

One might be forgiven for thinking that the Gold Coast or Melbourne’s perennial rival, Sydney, would attract more domestic tourists but Australians picked the Victorian capital ahead of all other cities for a vacation. In the 12 months to April, Melbourne attracted 1,899,000 domestic tourists, well ahead of Sydney (1,486,000) with the Gold Coast in third place. International visitor numbers are also soaring with a 10.6 per cent increase in the number of tourists choosing to holiday in Melbourne. Victoria still comes in third behind NSW and Queensland in attracting international tourists, according to figures released last week, but the gap is closing. In the 12 months to March there were 1,996,722 overseas visitors holidaying in Victoria compared with 2,048,023 who went to Queensland and 3,060,978 who went to NSW. Victoria had a 10 per cent increase, the biggest of any state, compared with 6 per cent for NSW and Queensland’s 1 per cent.

The figures may come as a surprise to some locals who don’t fully appreciate just how blessed they are to live in this great city. Where else can you enjoy world-class cultural and sporting events, shopping, gourmet delights and beautiful architecture? Add to that our natural assets, including beautiful bay beaches and stunning greenery, not to mention rugged mountains ranges and ocean beaches a mere hour from the city. And don’t get me started on the spectacular delights of the Mornington and Bellarine peninsulas and Surf Coast or we may be here all day. It’s little wonder that Melbourne has been voted the world’s most livable city again and again. And yet, in this country Melbourne is often painted as unappealing and “bleak” by the Sydneycentric media that loves nothing more than putting down our city. The Melbourne/Sydney rivalry seems to exist only in the minds of insecure Sydneysiders who seek to elevate their town by putting down ours at any given opportunity.

Of course, in celebrating Melbourne we can’t overlook the areas that are in desperate need of improvement for both tourists and locals alike; myki remains a bewildering and expensive exercise for visitors and the lack of a railway link to the airport is a serious shortcoming for a First World city. Another concern is CBD violence, particularly at night, where certain sections of Melbourne take on a decidedly unfriendly vibe. Australia is one of the most expensive places in the world for travellers and we cannot afford to give potential tourists any other reasons to bypass our country, particularly when more than 500,000 Australians rely on tourism for their livelihood.

Victoria is finally claiming its rightful share of the tourism dollar and is well placed to capitalise further in luring affluent Chinese travellers. In the past year more than 340,000 Chinese tourists holidayed in the Garden State, an increase of 16.2 per cent from the previous year. We are well placed to capitalise on the extraordinary wealth of the emerging Chinese middle class whose love of travel has seen the country’s outbound market increase by more than 500 per cent in the past 10 years. The secret is out; despite the best efforts of Tourism Australia — which for years ignored Melbourne’s existence in putting together its promotional material — our fine city is emerging as a holiday hot spot not just for local tourists but visitors from around the world.

·
Go for it!
1,502 Posts
Melbourne for far too long has been reluctant to sing its praises but now the city is coming right out of the fug that seemed to cover every corner.

I lived OS for a number of years and didnt appreciate the beauty of Melbourne until I came back and with all the developments still rolling along its an exciting place to be.Yes the weather can be ordinary some of the time but as we now know visitors recognize the great aspects the the city has to offer.

Here is another interesting fact about Melbourne

Melbourne the place to be for super rich

Date
July 22, 2014 - 6:00AM

Southbank’s Eureka Tower is the home to Melbourne's most expensive apartment.

Eureka Tower has an apartment for sale which industry sources say could fetch $22 million.

Super-rich home buyers with discerning taste have given Melbourne top honours in a ranking of cities with the best quality of life.

The very wealthy – deemed to be those with net assets worth $US30 million ($32 million) or more – have nominated Melbourne as a favourable place to live, ahead of Frankfurt, Sydney, Toronto and Geneva, according to a new report.

Melbourne has long been considered the world’s most liveable city and it seems whether you are rich or poor, residents value the same lifestyle perks, such as good weather and excellent education facilities.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Melbourne for far too long has been reluctant to sing its praises but now the city is coming right out of the fug that seemed to cover every corner.

I lived OS for a number of years and didnt appreciate the beauty of Melbourne until I came back and with all the developments still rolling along its an exciting place to be.Yes the weather can be ordinary some of the time but as we now know visitors recognize the great aspects the the city has to offer.
Agreed, when I first arrived I appreciated the urban beauty of the city but now I am starting to find the natural beauty of the place and I haven't even ventured out of the inner-city yet. I am so happy to be in Melbourne :cheers:

·
Rabid Furry Skier
3,469 Posts
While the suburbs are not as good as the inner city (though still somewhat subjective), there are quite a few good (or growing) local gems such as Box Hill for the unique(ish) Chinese atmosphere, or the flood of craft beer and wine stores opening up outside of the inner city (which I am adoring a lot lately, such as Junction Hotel in Newport, Park Hotel in Werribee, Oscar's Alehouse in Belgrave, Carwyn Cellars in Thornbury, to name a few).

·
Registered
597 Posts
I know I may be alone in my opinion here but that is one of the reasons I really love Melbourne, it's the fact Melburnians don't have to tell everyone how good it is here and talk it up. Maybe it stems from years of being possibly overshadowed by Sydney?

Whatever the case it's refreshing to live in a city without an ego or inferiority issue if that makes any sense, it's like we are just in this perfect spot in between.

·
Registered
12,898 Posts
To think there are hundreds of thousands of Melburnians who never go near the city ? Strange but true ! Most have never been to the major parks...even the beach...Maybe that's a good thing ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Melbourne’s All Star Comics store has been crowned best in the world, scoring the Spirit of Comics Retailer Award at the 26th annual Eisner Awards in the US. Held annually at San Diego Comic-Con, the world’s most prestigious comic book event, the Oscar-like awards celebrate the best of the industry, from comic book writers, artists and storylines to the bricks and mortar retailers. Lonsdale Street’s All Star Comics shares this year’s award with Legend Comics & Coffee in Nebraska. All Stars co-owner Mitchell Davies, who set up shop with best friend and business partner Troy Varker in February 2011, says they are overwhelmed by the recognition, from their second consecutive nomination. “I can count on one hand the things I’ve won in my life,” Davies said on Monday. “This is huge. It’s still sinking in, but it’s awesome.”

Nominations are drawn from the comic book-reading public and assessed by a judging panel including industry figures and last year’s winners. All Star Comics was initially long-listed alongside 37 other stores worldwide, including Heroes HQ in Ballarat. “That was a real honour,” Mitchell says. “There aren’t a huge amount of international stores listed, so to have two from Victoria is pretty fantastic.” Judges look for stores that promote the industry in the best possible light, from shop-fit and customer service to hosting events. Davies said he and Varker were committed to supporting local comic book talent and bringing them face-to-face with customers. “When we first opened the store there was already a strong comic-creating community in and around Melbourne, and we embraced that. Comic book readers want to feel like they’re part of that picture.”

Creators who have appeared in-store include Tom Taylor, who pens DC’s best-selling Injustice: Gods Among Us and Earth 2, creator-owned series The Deep from Australian publisher Gestalt and has been announced as the scribe on Marvel’s brand new title Superior Iron Man and writer/artist Tristan Jones, who has worked on Mirage Studios' Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and IDW’s Ghostbusters. Greville Street’s ArtBoy Gallery co-owner Marc Huntington is a regular customer and has co-hosted events with the All Star crew. “We’re exceptionally proud to see Mitch, Troy and the team being recognised for the outstanding work they do. They’ve created a place that nurtures local illustrators and creatives, and several artists they’ve put us in contact with have gone on to exhibit with us.”

A lifelong comic book fan, Davies never dreamt he’d one day be an Eisner Award-winner, but hopes the public profile boost will bring new readers. “Whether it gets people through our door or not doesn’t really matter,” he says “There are a number of great stores in the CBD alone. We’re very happy if this award showcases Melbourne’s comic book culture. That’s the best possible result we could hope for.”

BEST SELLERS
This week's biggest sellers at All Star Comics:

1. Batman (DC)

2. Saga (Image)

3. Amazing Spider-Man (Marvel)

4. Hawkeye (Marvel)

5. Sex Criminals (Image)

·
Registered
12,898 Posts
I don't normally approve pics with me in but...this is exceptional...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Love it or loathe it, Melbourne’s Federation Square has won high praise as one of the world’s top squares. Fed Square came in sixth, between Red Square in Russia and St Peter’s Square in Vatican City on Landscape Architects Network’s top 10 public squares. “This modern square was opened in 2002 to much controversy,” the network noted. “Often voted one of the ugliest places due to the deconstructivist style of the buildings, the square has come to be very successful. Why so? Well, with a constant stream of entertainment, dining and free Wi-Fi, it’s always busy with people.” In 2012, soon after Virtual Tourist named our square in the world’s top 10 ugliest buildings, the Herald Sun asked readers what they thought. Here’s a very small sample: “Hideous ... the only reason I show visitors is to laugh at how ugly it is!” “It’s almost like they said ‘let’s build the ugliest thing possible and then paint it the most disgusting shade of pale green imaginable!” “It has the face only a mother could love”. And finally: “You Ugly!” The Landscape Architect Network has a growing social media presence, with more than 700,000 fans on its Facebook page. The network aims to champion landscape architecture across the world through publishing and other promotions.

BEST IN THE WORLD

1. Naghsh-e Jahaan Square, Isfahan, Iran

2. Piazza del Campo, Siena, Italy

3. Red Square, Moscow, Russia

4. Trafalgar Square, London

5. St Peter’s Square, Vatican City

6. Federation Square, Melbourne

7. Rynek Główny, Kraków, Poland

8. Plaza de Armas, Cuzco, Peru

9. Times Square, New York

10. Tahrir Square, Cairo

1 - 20 of 108 Posts