SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
RAWR ROAR RAWR
5,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i had a thought of where migrants should be sent to build cities the size of canberra and ill explain them below

i believe we should have cities all the capitals within 500kms of them and with favouring the coast and existing highways and train lines

over there we should establish farming/fishing and tourism as a pillar for starting the local economy

·
RAWR ROAR RAWR
5,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
1) would be stopovers

1) Coffs Harbour

in order to serve as a stopover point for people to go between SEQ and NewSydWoll

2) Albury/Wodonga

in order to serve as a stopover point for people to go between Melbourne and Sydney/Canberra

3) Narrandera and Mildura

in order to serve as a stopover point for people to go between Adelaide and NewSydWoll

·
RAWR ROAR RAWR
5,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
2) expansion of existing cities

WA - Albany / Geraldton / Kalgoolie

SA- Port Augusta

VIC - Warnambool / Lakes Entrance / Sandy Point

NSW - Nowra / Batesman Bay

QLD - Bundaberg

TAS - Launceston

·
6,659 Posts
Cities chose themselves. You can't tell people where to live. You can't force businesses to move unless you give them ridiculous tax concessions. Businesses move where there are customers, suppliers and staff. People move where there are jobs. Everything else is secondary.

Google are looking for a new Australian office because they've outgrown their Pyrmont site. There's nothing stopping Google moving to Wagga... except that would be a horrible business decision.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Cities chose themselves. You can't tell people where to live. You can't force businesses to move unless you give them ridiculous tax concessions. Businesses move where there are customers, suppliers and staff. People move where there are jobs. Everything else is secondary.

Google are looking for a new Australian office because they've outgrown their Pyrmont site. There's nothing stopping Google moving to Wagga... except that would be a horrible business decision.
Everything is stopping Google moving to Wagga. There are no skilled IT workers in Wagga and no-one currently at Google would mover there

·
Banned
672 Posts
I think the regional areas need to be vastly improved for both population and economy. I would do this by flooding Lake Torrens and Lake Eyre with sea water, and create a new lake in the Strzelecki desert to Innamincka (enormous) and connected to Lake Eyre. This area is the lowest part of the Australian continent, and anyone who knows anything about geography knows that low or below sea level elevations are far hotter, so this area is the heat sink that starts a lot of heatwaves in summer. Filling it with water would help reduce summer heat, and increase precipitation throughout the East. Not too mention throw in some desalination plants and farming would thrive.
Then I'd build a mid tier city on its shores on the eastern side around the same level as Brisbane and connect it to Brisbane via a new highway and rail. I think this would open up inland Australia to further settlement, instead of just driving inland to the dead heart you'd be driving to a new inland sea with cities and infrastructure. This would lead to further development of the regions between these two areas.

Second Mid tier city would be Karumba on the coast of the Gulf of Carpentaria, this is an extremely important port being much more accessible for ships instead of coming through the treacherous GBR. Although it gets very hot here, hopefully future technology can deal with it. But yes turn Karumba into a major city and connect it with a better highway and rail to Cairns and again to Darwin.

Third mid tier city, flood Lake Macleod in WA and deepen it to become a bay, use excess material to create an artificial mountain of 1-2km high using water and pump systems. Move West Coast Navy Base to the new port and build a new city around it. Inland the desert plains there are dry (except for cyclones) but the soil is very rich. Using irrigation, the Gascoyne Valley would become Australia's version of California and a major food bowl of the nation.

(Oat crop in Pilbara)

And of course 2 new cities one on Lake Alexandrina, and another on the newly flooded Lake Torrens.

·
RAWR ROAR RAWR
5,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

the reasons i suggested the first ones are that they already have a use and can potential services existing roads, i think terrier tantrum said last time there was a plan to build a city the size of canberra in albury/wodonga.

also there was a theory called "build it and theyll come" but this time the infrastructure already exist. it would also support the cause that many here want for high speed rail, thus its not redundant.

·
RAWR ROAR RAWR
5,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why not just expand and invest in current cities... like Toowoomba, Gladstone, Tamworth, Albury etc
yes thats actually my purpose, say albury for example if it had the population of canberra it would do great as a stopover.

oh wait i should have mentioned expanding these existing cities rather than build! i get you!

·
Banned
672 Posts
If we're talking about already existing cities than again I would say Karumba on the Gulf of Carpentaria, Rockhampton (could be Australia's version of New Orleans), Grafton in NSW (there needs to be a major city between SEQ and Sydney - I know Newcastle is big but there needs to be another major city between the two), Albury-Wodonga, and Albany in WA.

·
Banned
672 Posts
Albany is not a great option for WA - it is over 4 hours away from Perth.

Bunbury is a much better option:
- it is less than 2 hours from Perth so is better able to gain Synergy with the state capital
- already has double the population of Albany and is growing faster
- opens up into WA's south west food and wine region
Karumba is in the middle of gods nowhere.
If you keep building on cities that are right next to other cities it's all well and dandy for them, but a better way is to space out the cities providing benefit for the regions between them.
For example, building at city at Karumba would provide greater economic investment in farming on the Atherton tableland, for both their own regions and for export. And connected to Cairns via highway and rail would boost economic productivity in the towns and farming regions between them.
Instead your idea is just to build cities next to cities, where the regions would not benefit.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
2) expansion of existing cities

NSW - Nowra / Batesman Bay
It is 120 kilometres from Nowra to Bateman's Bay.

And Nowra?

Try getting an all-day parking spot close to the centre of Nowra. And the public transport is not as good as Sydney.

And the traffic through Nowra can be bad at times and will only get worse when the upgrades to the Princes Highway to the north of it are completed. It badly needs to be bypassed.

·
Registered
20,559 Posts
FYI the Sydney conurbation has been called NEWSYDGONG for decades as opposed to Newsydwoll used above.

Way back in the Whitlam Era, brief though it was, the idea of new cities was all the rage. I've read of Monarto, near Adelaide, Albury-Wodonga and Vittoria aka Orange-Bathurst. There may have been others but they slipped out of my memory box.

Best idea is to focus on existing, thriving towns/cities with potential and concentrate on them. Natural selection is largely doing the job anyway as some centres prosper and others wither.

·
RAWR ROAR RAWR
5,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It is 120 kilometres from Nowra to Bateman's Bay.

And Nowra?

Try getting an all-day parking spot close to the centre of Nowra. And the public transport is not as good as Sydney.

And the traffic through Nowra can be bad at times and will only get worse when the upgrades to the Princes Highway to the north of it are completed. It badly needs to be bypassed.
nowra for sydney's sake,

batemans bay for canberra's sake

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

·
RAWR ROAR RAWR
5,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
FYI the Sydney conurbation has been called NEWSYDGONG for decades as opposed to Newsydwoll used above.

Way back in the Whitlam Era, brief though it was, the idea of new cities was all the rage. I've read of Monarto, near Adelaide, Albury-Wodonga and Vittoria aka Orange-Bathurst. There may have been others but they slipped out of my memory box.

Best idea is to focus on existing, thriving towns/cities with potential and concentrate on them. Natural selection is largely doing the job anyway as some centres prosper and others wither.
i remember now that you mentioned it, that someone in this forum had mentioned newsydgong before, but all someone mentioned nsw could also stand as newcastle, sydney, wollongong as a joke of the the conurbation-centric nature of this state :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :cheers:

1 - 20 of 174 Posts