SkyscraperCity banner

181 - 200 of 1223 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Imaginary tower

Anyone hazard a guess to the 'tight Wellington inner city corner site'?
I've just been tipped off that it's the corner of Ghuznee and Leeds St, on what's currently a car yard. Based on that, I'm definitely not so keen on this proposal: anything over about 6 storeys there would damage the streetscape, and 18 storeys of gleaming white tower is wildly out of character for the Cuba quarter. It seems likely that the proposal was very speculative, and while I like a lot of the design, it would go much better in Oriental Bay or somewhere closer to the "high city".

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Anything that replaces an ugly car yard has to be a good thing. One thing i don't like about Wellington are all the ugly car yards and petrol stations in the CBD. You don't see that in Europe or even the States for that matter.

·
Kiwi Contributor
4,909 Posts
^^Your right it is a peculiar thing. i'm sure in the next 10 years or so it will change, as land values go up and it becomes a better idea to build a proper building on the site, rather than having a car yard.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I don't see a problem with a building like that there. Anyway I only count 15 floors on that picture at most, and residential buildings only have 3m floors. So it would only be 45m at most. I could understand if you wanted to do something like put a 100m building on Cambridge/Kent Terrace because that would look just plain retarded. But in this case I see no problem.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
If there's one area that really needs more residential high-rises, it's the Lambton-Willis-Thorndon high-city area. Chews Lane is just the first step, other than that, much of that area shuts down at night.

·
Premium Member
6,185 Posts
I think Petone / Lower Hutt has huge, Potential .....

for a Fab new Skyline within the next 5 Years , tis exciting:banana:

IBM Building, Petone

"The property on which the new development forms a part is located on the south-western corner of The Esplanade and Victoria Street in Petone. The site is located approximately three kilometres from the Hutt CBD and six kilometres North of Wellington.

Petone is a well established commercial and industrial location with an increasing emphasis on the commercial range of uses including offices, bulk retail and showroom."

"The Esplanade is the major thoroughfare connecting Wellington to Lower Hutt’s Eastern suburbs. Jackson Street, the regions new Ponsonby, is located immediately to the North.

The site is a short walk from the Petone railway station and has a number of well utilised bus stops near the site."

·
Registered
143 Posts
Imaginary Archaus

I don't see a problem with a building like that there. Anyway I only count 15 floors on that picture at most, and residential buildings only have 3m floors. So it would only be 45m at most. I could understand if you wanted to do something like put a 100m building on Cambridge/Kent Terrace because that would look just plain retarded. But in this case I see no problem.
Based on this image, I count 18, but it seems to vary between renders. Given that 4-6 storeys seem to be about the norm for that stretch of Ghuznee St, I still think this is the wrong place for it. Maybe the corner of Victoria & Dixon, where Serepisos is planning a much crazier mess of a building, would be about right, though. But I really don't see it going ahead.

·
Registered
749 Posts
construction pics

Bellagio - Taranaki Street

Century City - Tory Street

Bunny Street building - opposite rail station
Does anyone know what it's called?

More Oriental Bay apartments - opposite the Freyberg Pool
Three small apartment buildings.

Wellington Hospital main building - Newtown

·
Premium Member
6,185 Posts
Don't know if this has been posted before ....

Another Render advertising that development site at 76 Willis Street ...:cheers:

S

·
0 Posts
Any news regarding those Zaha Hadid inspired proposals for the waterfront ? I think that they were chosen from a competition ??

·
Registered
143 Posts
Waterfront

Any news regarding those Zaha Hadid inspired proposals for the waterfront ? I think that they were chosen from a competition ??
Do you mean the UN Studio & John Wardle buildings for either side of Waitangi Park? The latest news is that "Funding and occupancy solutions continue to be sought", which I take to mean "We've chosen the designs, but haven't found anyone to pay for them or use them yet" :eek:hno:

On a brighter note, I just bumped into my friend from Studio Pacific, and he said that the Meridian building is pretty much complete, and the interiors are nearly fitted out ready for Meridian to move in on October 15th :) Most of the surrounding public space will be ready by then too, though the bridge and cut-out area will take until November. Ground floor tenants are pretty much sorted (though not fully confirmed, so don't quote me on this), and are likely to consist of a furniture shop, restaurant, ticket office for the Eastbourne ferry and perhaps a coffee or icecream kiosk under the external stair.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Construction update

New Vogel Building - Kate Sheppard Place/Mulgrave Street

Starting to tower up behind the historic Thistle Inn (I think thats one of the oldest pubs in the country).

Supreme Court - Lambton Quay

Site of Justice Park has been cleared and excavated and some of the more recent additions to the old High Court have been demolished.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Before and after

Century City Apartments, before (2 Sep 2007, courtesy of Kegan):

And after (9 Sep 2007):

181 - 200 of 1223 Posts