SkyscraperCity Forum banner

DISCUSSION | WLG Projects

193158 Views 1222 Replies 96 Participants Last post by  deepred
1021 - 1040 of 1223 Posts
great! It'll be good to have it up :)
A couple of photos I took today of buildings going up in Wellington

The new Countdown in Newtown:

Apartment building almost completed between Vivian and College Streets:
Also a photo I took of the new cafe/pizza place going up in Courtenay Place today... sorry it's not great quality, but starting to take shape!

Nice to see something happening in Wellington. Don't get many updates on what's going on down there
Times are tough in Welly at the mo.
Nice to see something happening in Wellington. Don't get many updates on what's going on down there
Elevate Apartments: lower Taranaki street

I think there are a couple of reasons for a bit of slow down in Welly,

1) The public Service is being forced to be frugal, and this is impacting on the Commercial sector (many of the new commercial buildings over the last 10 years were for Govt dept - DOC, MFAT, NZTA, Stats, Customs, )

Also there have been a couple of big apartment blocks completed and it has taken time for those units to be sold/occupied - (SOHO , Republic 1/2, )

But things are beginning to bubble, there is the replacement for watermark, called "1 market lane" being spruiked, and now this has appeared with a claimed construction start of August

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-pos...roperty/6796029/New-16-storey-apartment-block

http://www.elevateapartments.co.nz/#/
Welly will do well from The Hobbit, and potential Avatar sequels definitely. It should move further into film, if possible. Excellent employer, including support like hotels, catering, transport etc...

The government needs to focus less on Auckland for growth. Could Welly get some breaks or help towards growing niche industries such as: IT/digital, (video) games, bio-tech or other science/research/medical industries, or something future-ish like 3D printing?

Sadly it needs to be stuff which doesn't logistically rely too much on a big international airport.
Waterloo Quay Concept

Looks like it's taking inspiration for the nearby containers, but nevertheless, another boxy design..:eek:hno:
I don't like the location, takes away land from potential expansion of the railway station.
I'm a bit bored with glass boxes in NZ too, but I'm not so worried about them in this location. They contrast well with the round stadium and the heritage buildings nearby - railway station, the pub/hotel across the road and the wharf building that was converted into apartments. Then there is the variety of the BNZ building (at least the facade) and brute that is the IRD HQ down the road.

So, overall, there is quite a mix of buildings in Harbour Quays.
Looks like it's taking inspiration for the nearby containers, but nevertheless, another boxy design..:eek:hno:
Agreed! It should slot in quite nicely.
I'm a bit bored with glass boxes in NZ too, but I'm not so worried about them in this location. They contrast well with the round stadium and the heritage buildings nearby - railway station, the pub/hotel across the road and the wharf building that was converted into apartments. Then there is the variety of the BNZ building (at least the facade) and brute that is the IRD HQ down the road.

So, overall, there is quite a mix of buildings in Harbour Quays.
Meanwhile, the UN Studio extensions to Te Papa appear to be back on the table, after being on ice for a few years...

Spectacular new arts project for Wellington

1/08/2012 9:43:00 a.m.

Wellington may be getting its own “Guggenheim”.

A spectacular new privately funded art gallery is planned for the space between Te Papa and the Herd St Building.

A working party led by Museum Hotel’s Chris Parkin and including Te Papa’s Michelle Hippolyte, Property man Mark Dunaitchik, and Wellington Waterfront’s Ian Pike is working on the project.

Reliable sources say that $50million has already been promised for what the group is currently calling the Museum of Contemporary Art. It is thought that includes $35 million from Dunaitchik.

The building the group has proposed for the site is the cutting edge design four storey ‘transition’ plan created by the world renowned Dutch architecture firm UN Studio in conjunction with Jasmax for a competition in 2005.

Jasmax would say nothing about the project except that they are bound by a confidentiality agreement, and were unable to provide plans or drawings.

Wellington Waterfront website says this sculptural and distinctive building was designed to accommodate a gallery, and have other complementary uses.

This building was the subject of an international design competition for the space in 2005. The designs depart from anything previously seen in New Zealand, and generated considerable excitement amongst designers, architects and Wellingtonians.
The architects said of the design “... [It] is designed to manifest itself with the necessary forcefulness to have a real effect as a cultural marker.“

There has been no official confirmation of the project yet, but one of the sources chortled “it will be bloody good if it happens, won’t it”.
Where exactly? The space between Te Papa and the Herd St apartments, ie, a public park?
G
Stunning ! I would love to be able to see that one day :cheers:
It's currently just another carpark.
Where exactly? The space between Te Papa and the Herd St apartments, ie, a public park?
"A working party led by Museum Hotel’s Chris Parkin and including Te Papa’s Michelle Hippolyte, Property man Mark Dunaitchik,"

This would be the same Mark Dunaitchik [sic] that is currently proposing to demolish the harcourts building and replace it with a polystyrene heritage facade....

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/business/commercial-property/7755116/Wrecking-ball-sought-for-heritage-building
Meanwhile, the UN Studio extensions to Te Papa appear to be back on the table, after being on ice for a few years...
Elevate is finally starting construction...

I think there are a couple of reasons for a bit of slow down in Welly,

1) The public Service is being forced to be frugal, and this is impacting on the Commercial sector (many of the new commercial buildings over the last 10 years were for Govt dept - DOC, MFAT, NZTA, Stats, Customs, )

Also there have been a couple of big apartment blocks completed and it has taken time for those units to be sold/occupied - (SOHO , Republic 1/2, )

But things are beginning to bubble, there is the replacement for watermark, called "1 market lane" being spruiked, and now this has appeared with a claimed construction start of August

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-pos...roperty/6796029/New-16-storey-apartment-block

http://www.elevateapartments.co.nz/#/
Old Telecom building in Tory St/Forresters Lane is being repurposed as an ecohub. I thought Ian Cassels had bigger plans to knock this 80s eyesore down and built apartment blocks which could perhaps connect Alpha St to Tory but apparently not.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/7843004/Trust-team-transforms-warehouse-into-oasis
Hey guys,

I'm a bit new to the build spotting thing. Is there somewhere I can find info proposed/approved projects? Just search through property news or does city council make the info available?
1021 - 1040 of 1223 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.