SkyscraperCity banner

121 - 140 of 1223 Posts

·
NZ
453 Posts
^^ Thanks for pics.

Construction in front of railway station is progressing well. I'm quite excited about this project as I spend alot of time in the area. Will be good to have more people there to mix with Bachelor of Capitalism ;) uni students.

BNZ is progressing nicely as well.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The northern end for the city could be in for a real boost. The design competition for sites 8, 9 and 10 at Kumutoto (between the Meridian building and the Waterloo on Quay apartments) is underway, and apparently half of the city's architectural firms are competing madly for the job. The public brief sounded quite conservative, but I've heard it suggested that Wellington Waterfront are really after something quite special. No skyscrapers (everything should be between about 4 and 6 storeys), but if the Meridian building is anything to go by, we should expect some really good architecture.

·
Registered
143 Posts
"Wellington's largest"

Construction in front of railway station is progressing well. I'm quite excited about this project as I spend alot of time in the area.
Here's an article from Stuff today about it.

Work has begun on Wellington's largest building - a $100 million office block - though the developer has yet to find a tenant.

Mark Dunajtschik has started work on the 33,000-square-metre building opposite Wellington railway station despite long-running negotiations with a prospective anchor tenant not yet securing a lease agreement.

Mr Dunajtschik said confidentiality provisions meant he could not reveal the prospective tenant's identity. However, property industry sources say it is the Inland Revenue Department.

Like some other government departments, IRD is spread across various buildings in Wellington's central business district and is seeking to achieve savings by putting most staff in one building.

An IRD spokeswoman said the department was reviewing its property requirements in Wellington but had made no commitment.

Mr Dunajtschik said negotiations had been going on for 16 months. Though they had not broken down, they had not resulted in a signed agreement.

In February Mr Dunajtschik decided to proceed regardless. He admitted it was risky to build such a large building with no confirmed tenants. "It's the biggest risk I've taken in my life."

By starting now he would have the building ready to meet timetables of other possible tenants. Contractor Fletcher Construction was also available to start work, an important consideration when a shortage of skilled labour was causing costs to rise.

Though not a single metre of the building had been leased, Mr Dunajtschik was confident that situation would change during construction. "It will be a green building in all respects. It will be state-of-the-art. We have a product that has an awful lot going for it."

He said the building's location and its design would attract interest. It would be finished in the third quarter of 2010.

Mr Dunajtschik, a former engineer, built the Foreign Affairs and Trade Ministry building on Lambton Quay and Environment House in Kate Sheppard Place.​

Note that it says "largest" rather than tallest: presumably it'll be similar to the 14-storey proposal posted a couple of years ago. Though it's worth noting that the article refers to it as 33,000 sq m, compared to the 47,600 sq m mentioned earlier. That may just be comparing office space to total space (including parking & retail), but on the other hand I speculated last year that they might only use 75% of the available volume, perhaps to fit with the new Central Area Rules. I haven't seen a new rendering (there may be one in the physical paper - I'll check soon), but if they've done that by keeping the height but breaking it into smaller towers, then it could be a real improvement aesthetically. Time will tell just how "state of the art" it is.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I hope this looks better in real life tham the render in todays Dominion. It certainly doesn't seem as though the architects were taking advantage of those 75% volume rules you were refering to Wellurban. For $100 million dollars the architect could surely have come up with something better even if they were restricted by the developers guidelines regarding size etc. The councils new rules encouraging good design seem to have had no effect and they don't seem to give a damm about getting tough on developers. This building could have been a wonderful companion to the Meridian Building under construction near by, but alas it was not to be. Lets hope some new renders turn up that can give us hope. Does anyone know the architect.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I hope this looks better in real life tham the render in todays Dominion. It certainly doesn't seem as though the architects were taking advantage of those 75% volume rules you were refering to Wellurban.
Yes, now that I've seen it, that render is identical to the one from two years ago. Given the difference in stated floor areas, there's a possibility that the render is out of date and that the actual building will use less of the volume, but I don't know for sure. I'll try asking my spies :)

·
Premium Member
6,185 Posts
Looks a bit like Maritime House .....

I admire any developer that proceeds with a Project this size , without any Pre-commitment :banana: Such confidence in Wellington :banana:

·
Kiwi Contributor
4,909 Posts
I actaully like the design myself, if that one is current. Nice project, yea and just shows what confidence in the office market there is in Welly right now.

·
NZ
453 Posts
I like it too,

reckon it will look much better in real life.

noticed that they put white fences around, so it will be hard to take pics.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I flatted in the Hutt for several months a few years ago, and IMNSHO, it felt kind of 8 Mile-ish to me.

Hopefully 12 Daly St will be the beginning of the end of Suburbistan. :lol:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hutt high-rise

I think that the building actually looks quite nice :banana:
Yes, it's got good proportions and some decent detailing: certainly better than some of the Te Aro proposals we've seen recently.

It's interesting to compare this to the 1 Featherston St building: this one looks much taller, though since they're both 14 storeys they should be roughly the same height. That shows the effect of proportions and detailing, and if you imagine this apartment block as wide as it is tall, and without the details from balconies and indentations, you'll get some feeling for how monolithic 1 Featherston St will be.

I'm not against the height of 1 Featherston St, or even its mass per se: just its lack of detailing and variation. The fiddly bits on the corner just look like a token effort at decorating an unimaginative cube, whereas the detailing on 12 Daley St is a response to the occupants' needs for light and air. The Featherston St building could have been designed more like three or four joined towers, without losing much floor space, and with a much better aesthetic result.

·
Registered
143 Posts
More info on 12 Daly St...

...on the Merge Properties website. Interestingly, that's the same company that's planning "Te Aro Towers", and while 12 Daly isn't much more than a decent design, it looks like a work of genius compared to Te Aro Towers. Maybe our former mayor thinks that the Hutt deserves better design than Wellington central?

·
Premium Member
6,185 Posts
I Love it !

Gees lets hope shes all go ......its all happening in Welly :banana:

...on the Merge Properties website. Interestingly, that's the same company that's planning "Te Aro Towers", and while 12 Daly isn't much more than a decent design, it looks like a work of genius compared to Te Aro Towers. Maybe our former mayor thinks that the Hutt deserves better design than Wellington central?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Walked past the Century City building site during lunch hour today... the girders at the front have gone up lightning quick, in comparison to the rest of the project.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
^^ Here are the accompanying pics:

18 July 2007 (left) and 27 July 2007 (right):

On a side note, does anyone recognise this faux-Tudor building in the background at 97 Boulcott St? My guess is it's a Roger Walker, probably done around the same time as his Wills St Village in 1979-1980.

·
Registered
143 Posts
97 Boulcott St

On a side note, does anyone recognise this faux-Tudor building in the background at 97 Boulcott St? My guess is it's a Roger Walker, probably done around the same time as his Wills St Village in 1979-1980.
I think it's Peter Beaven, or perhaps Warren & Mahoney: I'll check when I get home and can look it up in "Wellington's New Buildings" by David Kernohan. Definitely not Rog, though, and a few years later than that.

·
Wellington user
803 Posts
Vogel building

Hmmmm I dont think anyone has said anything about the Vogel building

I took this pic out of the dom post more than 6 months ago

It will be quite a change for the area when its finished

·
Registered
345 Posts
That whole area north of the old parliament buildings seems so disconnected from the rest of the city. Maybe this will partially change that.

121 - 140 of 1223 Posts