Skyscraper City Forum banner
141 - 160 of 1223 Posts

·
NZ
453 Posts
Just came back form Japanese Navy ships, it was great visiting them.

My camera run out of batteries as was approaching the ships :bash:

You can still board them until 3pm today and have a look. They gave out lots of stickers and salute you everywhere but never smile!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Not to worry, I got a pic:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Now that waterfront re-development is moving north, the Queen's Wharf is beginning to stand out more, in a bad way, is the TSB Arena/Queen Wharf Events Centre.

The Wellington Waterfront Website mentions it as being under consideration for re-development. Is there any scope for a large scale, iconic/landmark type events/function centre on this site? Or has that option been eliminated by re-development of the wharf's outer-T with a Hilton etc? If got in my mind quite a profound, waterfront, iconic building?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
143 Posts
TSB Arena

Now that waterfront re-development is moving north, the Queen's Wharf is beginning to stand out more, in a bad way, is the TSB Arena/Queen Wharf Events Centre.

The Wellington Waterfront Website mentions it as being under consideration for re-development. Is there any scope for a large scale, iconic/landmark type events/function centre on this site? Or has that option been eliminated by re-development of the wharf's outer-T with a Hilton etc? If got in my mind quite a profound, waterfront, iconic building?

Any thoughts?
No, nothing major AFAIK. At one stage they were thinking about extending or redesigning, but I'm pretty sure that the only changes will be internal, or possibly involving the way that it connects to Shed 6. There's still some talk of redeveloping the southern side to make it relate better to Frank Kitts Park (could it do any worse?!), but if that happens I think it won't be anything more than a cosmetic makeover. There's certainly been no serious consideration for anything big or iconic there.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Latest pics

Piermont & Monument Apartments

Now you see it...

... now you don't.

Century City

The beams are starting to take shape:

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think The Warehouse was the most run down and ugliest in all of NZ. Im now living in the UAE and it's geat to see the city coming along. There's just a couple things that i don't like which is that they have used asphalt instead of nice pavers between shed 11 and 13 and again along by the chaffers dock apartments.Even just a nice border or something.Can someone please take pics of chews lane for me?? :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Well....design competition for sites 8,9 and 10 kumototo has been submitted...I must say Wellingtonians are lucky to have access to such beautiful sites!!! :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Are the buildings at sites 8.9.10 going to be more offfic blocks, i hope not.
Partly: the idea is to have a mixture of office & residential on the upper floors, with retail/food/drink/recreation/cultural uses on all the ground floors. Some people I know will be pushing for the ground floor of Site 10 to be used as an indoor sports venue (to replace sheds 1 & 6), and while that's a tight squeeze, it's theoretically possible.

So, it's definitely going to be much more lively and diverse than Harbour Quays. And from what my friend says (he works for one of the practices who entered), all of the firms were really pushing for exciting designs.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Well hopefully the increase in residents/office wokers will help make businesses on this part on the waterfront more sustainable. I remember when the retail shops at the Queens Wharf events centre opened everyone thought they would be a huge success and now it's just a big ugy building.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Well hopefully the increase in residents/office wokers will help make businesses on this part on the waterfront more sustainable. I remember when the retail shops at the Queens Wharf events centre opened everyone thought they would be a huge success and now it's just a big ugy building.
I think that's the idea. When the QW retail centre was planned, there was going to be a 31-storey office and apartment tower next door, which would have produced a huge local pool of potential customers. When that fell through, the retail centre was left stranded.

Now, there will not only be a large number of people working on the waterfront itself, but buildings like Maritime House, the Holiday Inn and extensions to Wool House & the Tower building have all happened since the old retail centre failed. Also, Featherston St is no longer a grey canyon of nothing but offices, so there's a lot more activity going on between the Golden Mile and the waterfront to make the journey seem less of a trek.

141 - 160 of 1223 Posts