SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 381 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Make sure you credit the source of the images, that is photographers name and link for more images.

Old thread can be found here: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=792612

New sculpture purchase for the City of Perth Art Foundation
18th Mar 2009

The City of Perth Art Foundation has purchased a sculpture by Japanese artist Keizo Ushio titled Mobius in Space from the Sculpture by the Sea Exhibition.

The piece is an abstract work consisting of Japanese pink granite and red ochre.

The City of Perth Art Foundation's patron Lord Mayor Lisa Scaffidi said that this sculpture will be a welcome addition to the City's public art collection.

"This will complement the City's wide ranging collection by adding an abstract item that is 100% the inspiration of the artist," Ms Scaffidi said.

"The acquisition fits well with the City's vision to embrace its international relationships. The artist lives and works in Hyogo, a sister state with Western Australia," she said.

The City of Perth Art Foundation was established to encourage and facilitate public art in the city. The Foundation is an incorporated body with a Governing Board consisting of three City of Perth Councillors, a senior officer of the City of Perth, representatives of the State Government and of the business and the arts community. Frank Edwards, CEO of City of Perth is the chairman of the board.

A location for the sculpture is yet to be determined. The board of the Foundation will work with the City of Perth to determine an appropriate location.

ABOUT THE PIECE
Mobius in Space by Keizo Ushio
Description: Japanese pink granite, red orche.
Dimensions: 172cm x 170cm x 80cm
Description: This sculpture carved from a solid piece of granite is beautifully crafted with a highly polished finish highlighted with the use of Japanese red ochre.
Artist's Statement: In this photo I show the original shape of my sculpture that is coloured with traditional red ochre colour. I have the feeling it is like cherry blossoms.

BIGGER PIC

http://www.cityofperth.wa.gov.au/web/Media-Centre/?article=251
I like it.
i dont. enough concrete 'master peaces'.
it's very purrrrdy...
Would look hot on a revamped city station forecourt.
i agree, it should go on tha city station forecourt... it should be in a water moat so it's not easily accessable... people can sit around it also...
Well, if the artist sees it sitting with cherry blossoms, then maybe a garden setting will be best for it. (note: I haven't seen it in real life)
ive always wanted to see the cherry blossoms in japan. looks beautiful in pics.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I would have thought you can still call Kings Park Mt Eliza! Just because Google doesnt call it that doesnt mean anything realy, I mean since when is Google 'THE' source

·
Banned
4,694 Posts
^^ any map then. its the old name. places change names, its like calling mumbai bombay, ppl might know what it is, but its no longer the official name.

or southern cross train station called spencer street ts. its simply no longer the name.

·
In the sweetspot
9,046 Posts
It's like saying there can't be a Lake Baghdad just because it is also part of Rottnest Island. That area of Kings Park is known as Mt Eliza.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Google only knows what Google only knows. The park "Kings Park" is wholly situated on the landform known as "Mt Eliza". Therefore, one would make no error in calling any part of the park Mt Eliza - technically speaking. Jarkti's pic titled "Mt Eliza" is actually a shot of a section of an escarpment. Mooro Katta, Kaarta Gar-Up (Nyoongar names) and Perth Park (the park's first european officiated name) are also names by which the 'place' is still or was known as.

·
In the sweetspot
9,046 Posts

·
Banned
4,694 Posts
Download this free CBD street directory. It clearly says Mt Eliza and Mt Eliza lookout.

http://www.landgate.wa.gov.au/docvault.nsf/web/LG_FREE_MAP_PERTH_CBD_200810/$FILE/LG_FREE_MAP_PERTH_CBD_200810.pdf

(here is the relevant snapshot from the pdf) - Goran - feel free to apologise and beg forgiveness from jarkti.

(other free downloads)
http://www.landgate.wa.gov.au/corporate.nsf/web/Free+Maps
never.
as ive said, that is not the name. the whole place is kings park.
on that very map, look how much larger KINGS PARK is comapred to the little 'mount eliza'.

1 - 20 of 381 Posts