1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes
No
Other (note why)

This is my first go at a poll so if it does not work sorry but please still answer one of the 3. That said I think No reason it is often misleading. As well as show a sign of desperarity for visters. The ads I am talking about refer to T.V and Print. I would really like to know what you think so feel free to give your 2 cents.

·
***Alexxx***
5,275 Posts
Any advertising for anything helps, they went through a stage of always showing 'Visit California' adverts on TV in the UK...although not sure how many more people went as a result.

·
Heathen
6,573 Posts
Uhm, I remember "Malaysia Truly Asia" adverts on TV in the Netherlands and Vietnam.. It really worked and I think I must visit Malaysia once in my life.

·
Journeyman
16,793 Posts
They sure do, speaking as a marketing guy (ok, for a general contractor, not tourism directly). There are many examples of ad budgets correlating with increases and decreases in visitor counts.

Actually I hate ads in pretty much every form -- commercials, pop-ups, billboards, radio ads, and so on. But although they generally make me dislike the players to the extent I notice them, they still work.

They make subtle impressions on an emotional and factual level. If you can reach a demographic that might enjoy your city, and remind them you exist, give them some context about what they'll find when they visit, maybe inspire them a bit, etc., you've probably won. Winning from a mid-sized city perspective might mean getting a tiny fraction of the audience to actually visit in a given year, and of course impressions tend to carry forward (fading) in future years.

·
38,890 Posts
Very few ads manage to significantly heighten interest beyond where it currently is. I've only once drastically altered my perception of a place due to an advertisement campaign: Newfoundland & Labrador.

Many people I've talked to seem to agree that it's made them want to go while before it wasn't even on the radar or they thought it would be boring.

·
Journeyman
16,793 Posts
Dramatically altering impressions isn't the typical goal. Usually it's to nudge people along, turning a few "somedays" into "maybe this year" and a few blank stares into "maybe somedays".

·
38,890 Posts
Dramatically altering impressions isn't the typical goal. Usually it's to nudge people along, turning a few "somedays" into "maybe this year" and a few blank stares into "maybe somedays".
I agree. In other cases, people know next to nothing about a place so their perceptions are often way off base. The Newfoundland & Labrador tourism ads are the only example I can think of that dramatically altered people's impressions of a place. They weren't impressions based on the reality, so it was a matter of showcasing what's there. Their ads really stand out amongst the crowd though, that was key. That's why they've been so successful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
They make subtle impressions on an emotional and factual level. If you can reach a demographic that might enjoy your city, and remind them you exist, give them some context about what they'll find when they visit, maybe inspire them a bit, etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts