SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Sent from down-below. :P
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a Canadian citizen and have a valid Canadian passport.

Last year I used the same passport to travel to Australia via the US. Before boarding my Pearson-LAX flight I was told I needed some kind of visa for connecting via the US. I panicked of course because I didn't have it, but it turned out I just had to pay ~$30 and that was it...no interview, no nothing. The whole thing seemed a little strange but that's what I get for not being prepared.

My flight is Pearson - JFK. I hope a valid passport will suffice..

Thanks.

·
Registered
797 Posts
That just sounds so fishy. It was only a while ago Canadians could get into the USA with only a driver's licence or birth certificate or something of that nature. Now as far as I know a passport is all you need to travel throughout the USA. Paying $30 for a "visa" just comes off as suspect to me.

·
Oh No He Didn't
5,297 Posts
Canadians don't need a visa, just a passport.

And for future reference

The following countries in red also do not need a visa. Countries that are shaded in green are under consideration for inclusion into the Visa Waiver program.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Do not try to bring a contraband Kinder Egg across the border. Globe article:

Border Guards Crack Kinder Egg Case

Erin Anderssen
Globe and Mail Update
Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2011 3:25PM EST

Leave the chocolate egg where I can see it!

A Winnipeg woman named Linda Bird was recently stopped at the U.S. border for a random search of her car. The customs official discovered a little piece of contraband - a Kinder Surprise Egg, valued at about $2.69 for a two-pack at your local Canadian grocery store. Turns out, the chocolate egg is banned in the United States for fear the toy inside is a choking hazard.

(Canada, on the other hand, has decided that the little yellow case the toy comes in is so hard to open that the egg is safe.)

But at the border, Ms. Bird saw her Kinder Surprise promptly seized, with a stern warning that she could have faced a $300 fine for secreting it into the country. “It was just a chocolate egg,” Ms. Bird told the CBC. “It’s ridiculous. It’s so ridiculous.”

What is truly ridiculous came next. Ms. Bird says she recently received a seven-page letter from the U.S. government formally asking her to authorize the egg's destruction. Should she like to contest, she’ll have to cough up $250 for storage. “I had to read it twice,” Ms. Bird says. “But they are serious.”

And so are those border guards, who have reportedly seized roughly 25,000 eggs in 2,000 crossings (also suggesting a burgeoning black market in Kinder surprises.) But then, chocolate eggs are not without their nefarious uses - in December, security at the Los Angeles airport found 14-pounds of cocaine hidden in egg-shaped candy.

Bottom line: Cross the border with a Kinder Egg at your own risk.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...-guards-crack-kinder-egg-case/article1865884/

·
Mr. Haney(Cruz) for Pres.
2,644 Posts
As they say: only in 'merica.

If that lady would have said, "you'll have to pry my cold dead hands off those eggs for me to part with them", the US border guy would have thought there must be a tiny gun inside each egg. ;)

Those eggs pose such a danger to the US of A that they'll have to consider blowing them all up in a pit with explosives.

All more evidence of the terrorist threat coming in from Canada.

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
they are not allowed to be sold in the states and is therefore considered "contraban" its a little overboard but like any contraband it will be seized

I think the woman is over reacting and should pay more attention to things it common knowledge that kinder eggs are illegal in the states isn't it? this topic has been discussed many times on various forums for years that i have been to...

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
yeah people need to be aware of what they have and not be surprised when they get grilled by the agents at the border

i had an expired passport in my bag once - i forgot to take it out and they grilled me on why i didn't tell them i had it i had completely forgotten

at least in todays day and age its very easy to look online and find what is allowed across the border both ways - what you can bring back can be tough to know - i know most meat and fresh produce is not allowed so i don't buy it but people do and you see it getting seized by the canadian border guards as cross border shoppers come back home

we knew a family years ago they bought a ton of cheese in europe and they were gonna confiscate it at the airport (still in europe) so they said no way and they proceeded to eat all the cheese right there - haha there were allowed to so thats what they did rather than lose it

my mom once came back from south africa with some biltong in her bag - the officer pulled out one package of it and told her she couldn't bring it into the country so she said okay but she had two more packages inside her bag and he never asked her if she had more and never looked for more so we had some biltong when she got home hehe

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
This is also the first time I heard that Kinder Eggs are baned in the US. Here is a quote from a Toronto Star article providing more details on what happened:

Bird, a 48-year-old social-work student at the University of Manitoba, and her two sons, were caught up in a random search at the border.

The family was driving to Ontario to visit her two daughters and going through the United States, which is a shorter drive, Bird said.

The incident happened in early December. The family was asked for identification and then told to get out of the car and wait inside the U.S. Border patrol offices.

After 20 minutes, the U.S. officers came back and showed Bird what they’d found: the Kinder Surprise egg. The egg is forbidden because the toy inside might be a choking hazard.

“They told us it was prohibited,” she said in an interview with the Star. Then they handed her a list of prohibited items that are not allowed in the United States which she took, escaping with just a warning.

“We kind of thought of it as more of a nuisance. We left. I didn’t think anything more about it.”

That is until last week when she got a seven-page letter from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Agency. The letter asked her if she wanted the egg back or if she was going to abandon any rights to it.

“I was in disbelief,” she said. “It’s a two-dollar egg. Why make a big fuss over it? Just throw it in the garbage.”
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...r-officials-seize-canadian-woman-s-kinder-egg

1 - 20 of 28 Posts