SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do people dress up more in the south east US? I hear people tell me that people in the south dress up more.I was in Dallas for day so kinda of hard to tell , but people do seem to not dress as casual like the North east US ,Midwest or North west US.

People in Dallas and Garland north of Dallas seem to be more plaid shirts ,polo shirts , collar shirts ,tight t-shirt and tight jeans or cargo pants or cargo shorts.Girls less unisex clothes like in other places in the US and more tight fittest clothing.

Even Fort Worth that more casual than Dallas is nothing like other places in the US or Flordia.

After been to Flordia and Dallas and Forth worth area non locals do seem to stand out that they are not from Dallas.

Houton seems more casual than Dallas and Forth worth.

I think the exception would be Tennessee at least Nashville or very much so Chattanooga being very casual.

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
People in Dallas and Garland north of Dallas seem to be more plaid shirts ,polo shirts , collar shirts ,tight t-shirt and tight jeans or cargo pants or cargo shorts.Girls less unisex clothes like in other places in the US and more tight fittest clothing.
Uh, that sounds like typical middle-class suburbanite attire to me. Are you trying to insinuate the cargo pants/shorts are dressy? People in the South still wear cargo pants?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Uh, that sounds like typical middle-class suburbanite attire to me. Are you trying to insinuate the cargo pants/shorts are dressy? People in the South still wear cargo pants?
I'm saying Flordia seem more casual and loose fitting clothes.More soccer type mom clothes in Flordia and North East

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Yes they do:

http://cdn.motinetwork.net/demotivationalposters.org/image/demotivational-poster/0910/family-portraits-********-portrait-possum-demotivational-poster-1254948402.jpg

·
Love me, love my dog...
3,075 Posts
I haven't noticed any significant differences in general attire from region to region. I definitely wouldn't say that the Southeast is dressier than other regions, but I might say just the opposite. It would be very difficult to make such a general statement about any region when each individual makes his or her own choice about what to wear and what constitutes "casual" or "dressy". But then again I'm not sure you can really make an honest assessment of what people are wearing without actually gathering data and processing it to come up with a real conclusion...and even then it would be based on a small sampling. Also Dallas, Houston, and Fort Worth are not part of the Southeast...maybe you meant the South?

I know that many corporate headquarters in cities like Miami and Atlanta have a relaxed dress code that includes shorts, probably because of the warm weather. I have seen studies in the past concluding that employees are more productive in more casual/comfortable clothing, and this has been a nationwide trend for a couple of decades now.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I would say that people in VA and NC dress way better than those in OH or CO (I'm most familiar with these states). I was at DIA in July and I swear that everyone that wasn't wearing NFL clothing bought their clothes at a feed supply store.

I'm not claiming that folks in this region pull it off but at least they are trying harder. All I know is that my flight to Richmond from Denver (via Atlanta) had the most stylish and attractive people that I had seen since my flight to Denver the week before.
Ohioans are attractive but can't seem to resist athletic wear and pro sports clothing. That's not OK. The people from DC to Atlanta (especially Charleston , Atlanta,DC and Richmond) are really attractive and dress well.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Oh yes, one yahoo from Virginia sees a guy wearing a Bengals jersey in Ohio and now everyone in Ohio must dress that way. How people dress is not a regional thing. There's no such thing as one region supposedly dressing more "stylish" than other regions. It's idiotic to think otherwise.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I've lived in Ohio and travel around all the time. People most definitely dress differently from region to region. To believe that they don't is willful ignorance.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Casual shorts for Miami - I don't think so....jeans on a Friday is as casual as you can get in the city of Miami.

·
Love me, love my dog...
3,075 Posts
Casual shorts for Miami - I don't think so....jeans on a Friday is as casual as you can get in the city of Miami.
Not true at all...I have personally known 2 different people who worked for corporate offices in Miami - one in accounting for Burger King and another I can't remember - and could wear shorts and polo shirts to work. I worked for Home Depot at the headquarters in Atlanta and it was the same.

My comment wasn't just about Miami and Atlanta, but those are two cities where I have witnessed it and I have heard about it elsewhere. This has been an increasing trend for several years supposedly starting with tech companies in California years ago (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dress_code#Work_place). I'm not saying that all corporate offices are casual obviously, but those who don't come in contact with customers (IT, Accounting, etc) have been increasingly seeing relaxed dress codes. Shorts may not be all that common, but more so in warmer weather cities.

·
Love me, love my dog...
3,075 Posts
I've lived in Ohio and travel around all the time. People most definitely dress differently from region to region. To believe that they don't is willful ignorance.
Style of dress it a totally individual choice, not a regional one. It's truly ignorant to generalize about everyone from a region, state, or city because you happened to see a group of people dressed a certain way. You must know better.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Casual shorts for Miami - I don't think so....jeans on a Friday is as casual as you can get in the city of Miami.creasingly seeing relaxed dress codes. Shorts may not be all that common, but more so in warmer weather cities.
It depends where you go in Miami.

Also guys in Miami dress more casual than girls in Miami.It may not be has casual has other places in Florida but more casual than Dallas.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Style of dress it a totally individual choice, not a regional one. It's truly ignorant to generalize about everyone from a region, state, or city because you happened to see a group of people dressed a certain way. You must know better.
No it not.

DC and New York people more fashion Oriented.Out side of New York most of north east and mid west is very casual.

Have you been to Pennsylvania or Iowa it got to be most casual than any place in US. Colder places seem more casual and more unisex clothes.More trackpants ,sweatpants and gym clothes in North East than the sun belt cities.

I have not seen Texan girls dress in unisex clothes or loose fitting clothes like other places.Texan girls seem to dress very feminine tight jeans and tight top.Also more skirt and dress wear there.

·
Love me, love my dog...
3,075 Posts
No it not.

DC and New York people more fashion Oriented.Out side of New York most of north east and mid west is very casual.

Have you been to Pennsylvania or Iowa it got to be most casual than any place in US. Colder places seem more casual and more unisex clothes.More trackpants ,sweatpants and gym clothes in North East than the sun belt cities.

I have not seen Texan girls dress in unisex clothes or loose fitting clothes like other places.Texan girls seem to dress very feminine tight jeans and tight top.Also more skirt and dress wear there.
There are too many generalizations in this post to even begin to discuss. It's absolutely silly, but think whatever you want. And yes, I have been many places...therefore I understand that people in a city or region don't all (or even mostly) dress one particular way. I'm quite sure that there are plenty of Texas girls who like unisex or loose-fitting clothing.

This thread is ridiculous.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
There are too many generalizations in this post to even begin to discuss. It's absolutely silly, but think whatever you want. And yes, I have been many places...therefore I understand that people in a city or region don't all (or even mostly) dress one particular way. I'm quite sure that there are plenty of Texas girls who like unisex or loose-fitting clothing.

This thread is ridiculous.
There been many threads at city-data.com and servings done that American style of dress is not same and differs from state to state or even city to city.I can tell you that you are dead wrong ,if you think American all dress same every where.

The 40 Worst-Dressed Cities in America
http://www.gq.com/style/fashion/201107/worst-dressed-cities-america

Best and Worst Dressed Cities in America

http://fashionista.com/2012/05/the-...-the-best-and-worst-dressed-cities-in-america

What’s the Worst-Dressed City in America?
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/lifestyle/2012/05/whats-the-worst-dressed-city-in-america/

Vancouver 3rd Worst Dressed City in The World
http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2011/09/vancouver-3rd-worst-dressed-city-in-the-world/

Default What are the top 5 best dressed cities in the United States with atleast 500,000 people?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-vs-city/850120-what-top-5-best-dressed-cities.html

But anyways this thread was more about south vs non south and Dallas,Fort Worth and Garland not really talking about all different cities.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
American's don't all dress the same everywhere. That's the point. Everybody in every city dresses differently. No region or city can be defined by how a few people dress. It's silly and naive. Not only that, but you clearly aren't that familiar with what is considered fashion to begin with. You think that tight jeans is considered high fashion? Jeans are not considered to be particularly "fashionable" regardless of how tightly or loosely they are worn. Not only that, but tight jeans have been a trend everywhere for years now...

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
What is silly is to believe that there are not regional differences with regards to dress. It is the same as any other cultural (demographic) difference.

It isn't overwhelming and all people in a particular region aren't identical but it is noticeable. This guy took a trip to Texas. He looked around and thought "these people dress differently (more dressy in his opinion) than where I live". That observation is valid and is based on something (as are style stereotypes a la a New England or Southern California style). It's true in clothing and even furniture lines.

We aren't talking about all people but when you are in a mall in Cleveland one week then at one in San Diego the next, the crowds will be dressed differently. It doesn't mean that Midwest is provincial or that the North East is stuffy. It doesn't mean that the South is conservative. Demographics and climate (and I'd argue architecture) effect how people dress. What looks good in Miami may look out of place in Manhattan. We are much more global now but just look at an episode of Golden Girls. Women of the sane age and class were outfitted differently to match their regional identity.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts