SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Peter Robinson was told at the NI Investment conference by some of the American Businessmen/women than NI had a good product to sell and that if our CT rate was reduced we would be almost irresistable to outside Investors.

But all this talk about trying to attract inward Investment. All this talk about regenerating Belfast and making it a better place to live. Do we deseve it?

I said to a German girl once that it would be good if Belfast got some Investment and she said "Don't get me wrong but what's so important about Belfast." implying that we do not deserve Investment here, that we do not deserve the same quality of life as other places. Is she right?

Belfast is not important, but does that mean people here should not have prosperity?

What irritated me was that not long after, she then proceeded to lecture about how grateful I should be to the EU for all the money they have given us.

How can she more or less say to me "Belfast does not deserve prosperity and should not be allowed to become prosperous." and then at the same time have a go at me about the fact that Belfast is a poor city and has to sponge of other places?

If people in Europe take that attitude, do they not share some of the responsibility that Belfast is poor and has to sponge? And if so do they have the right to criticise us for the fact we need to be subsidised?

Are people seriously me telling that Belfast's regeneration, Belfast's prosperity all depends on whether some girl in Germany thinks we deserve it or not????

·
Registered
145 Posts
Are you ok son? You seem a bit hysterical!! :nuts:

Have a :cheers:

I think the german girl may have been confused with where the funding comes from that has kept Belfast afloat.

That aside - why does a place need to 'deserve' investment - you get what you work for and every country/region/city can reap what they sow. If NI can encourage international investment and prove the strength of their workforce and ability then why shouldn't we prosper?

I think the CT reduction is a headline grabber but can't see it being workable in practice - I would say NI needs to focus on other ways of providing reliefs and incentives to companies as a CT cut would be expensive and, therefore, not cost effective.

·
Registered
509 Posts
It's worth looking at it like this: If you had tons of money, and an idea for a business... where would you choose to locate it between these sample locations? Belfast, Dublin or Berlin.

If your answer is Belfast in preference to the other two, I'd like to know why, because I can see the clear advantages in the other cities, but Belfast???.... it only takes one car to break down on the Westlink and the whole city is paralysed for hours.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hmm, and how did Germany go from being a shattered ruin post 1945 to European economic powerhouse? Oh yeah, that's right – mind-bogglingly enormous amounts of financial aid from the US. Same goes for Japan. Don't think many Germans would have complained about handouts then, eh? And as for EU aid, whose idea was it to create the EU in the first place? oh yeah, France and Germany... and correct me if I'm wrong, does the UK as a whole not put in more to the EU than it gets out?
Same for RoI. Where would the south be if it wasn't for generous American and EU investment? Probably where it started – one the poorest economies in western Europe. That's the way the world works, folks. We don't 'deserve' foreign investment anymore than anywhere else, we need to compete for it.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The girl who said that to me really got under my skin (and still has).

It wouldn't be so bad if she just said "You're not important enough to deserve investment" that's her opinion. (Obviously one I disagree with. We don't deserve it any more or less than anywhere else, in my opinion).

It was the fact that not long after that she told me that I should be grateful to the EU for the financial aid they have given us, which is ridiculous if people in Europe purposely set it out to stop us prospering because they don't think we deserve it.

Obviously I know that not ALL Germans think that.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I would say that folk of an oilder generation would certainly be in agreement that a little investment is deserved outside of the security services after decades of hell in this country.

We have already seen what a bit of investment does with jobs being created, newer developments going up quickly (pre-credit crunch). Infrastructural regeneration, better housing, higher standard of living are what we have come to expect in recent years.

It may be OK for German folk to say this about us, when in reality they are a country consisting of what - 80 million+ citizens? Germany are also the richest country in the EU at the moment and their manufacturing industry is thriving at the moment - they have got off the past few years lightly cmpared to the likes of ourselves.

Recently we have had big names move to Belfast, such as Citi, Hilton Hotel, Warner Village Cinemas and the NY Stock Exchange. As Conor has also pointed out on his thread we have the three tallest buildings on the island with more planned, our sporting arenas will be getting massive updates, heck we are also beginning to get big name recording artists over here on a more regular basis for live gigs with at least 2 or 3 artists appearing in the city in concert on a weekly basis.

Tall Ships returned to Belfast last summer as well, and look at how many people that event attracted over the few days they were on the scene + continental markets and the annual christmas continental market which is a massive pull, not only for the stall owners at the market, but also public transport and city-centre based retail, restaurants and food outlets.

I remember a few months ago, was it David Coulthard (?) that did a few laps of the city centre in a formula one car? There were only two citys in the entire world that got to host that event, the other being in Venezuela - so we are clearly not ignored on the world map.

The recognition the country and City in general has been recieving in recent years has been somewhat positive, which makes a big change from 20 years ago when the only news associated with the country was violence. It is also nice to be getting some big events held here when we have been severely lacking behind the rest of the UK with London hosting near enough everything from film premieres and festivals to Scotland getting the Commonwealth Games in 2014.

As far as the Germans go - stick to making beer and cars, just because we are not as big and wealthy a nation as them doesn't mean we are insignificant.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hmm, and how did Germany go from being a shattered ruin post 1945 to European economic powerhouse? Oh yeah, that's right – mind-bogglingly enormous amounts of financial aid from the US.

You do realize that the UK was by far the largest recipient of US financial aid after World War 2? Germany received less per capita than most other Western European countries, including Ireland. In today's Euros, the sum it received from the Marshall Plan is about as much as its annual net contributions to the EU.

·
Registered
154 Posts
You do realize that the UK was by far the largest recipient of US financial aid after World War 2? Germany received less per capita than most other Western European countries, including Ireland. In today's Euros, the sum it received from the Marshall Plan is about as much as its annual net contributions to the EU.
er, so what? It could be argued that instead of any financial aid, Germany should have been subjected to more punative reparations, after all, it was Germany who instigated the destruction of Europe in the most cataclysmic war in history, but what has that, or your point got to do with this dicussion?

·
Registered
14,080 Posts
Peter Robinson was told at the NI Investment conference by some of the American Businessmen/women than NI had a good product to sell and that if our CT rate was reduced we would be almost irresistable to outside Investors.

But all this talk about trying to attract inward Investment. All this talk about regenerating Belfast and making it a better place to live. Do we deseve it?

I said to a German girl once that it would be good if Belfast got some Investment and she said "Don't get me wrong but what's so important about Belfast." implying that we do not deserve Investment here, that we do not deserve the same quality of life as other places. Is she right?

Belfast is not important, but does that mean people here should not have prosperity?

What irritated me was that not long after, she then proceeded to lecture about how grateful I should be to the EU for all the money they have given us.

How can she more or less say to me "Belfast does not deserve prosperity and should not be allowed to become prosperous." and then at the same time have a go at me about the fact that Belfast is a poor city and has to sponge of other places?

If people in Europe take that attitude, do they not share some of the responsibility that Belfast is poor and has to sponge? And if so do they have the right to criticise us for the fact we need to be subsidised?

Are people seriously me telling that Belfast's regeneration, Belfast's prosperity all depends on whether some girl in Germany thinks we deserve it or not????

Should have told her to **** off tbh.

Companies will go where the costs are acceptable and the workfoce is educated. They don't care about the scenery or the weather. Belfast will get investment regardless what she thinks.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Lad. I agree. Belfast is a nicer, cleaner, friendlier city than Dublin! Miles better.

But in terms of culture, lifestyle, things to do Dublin is miles ahead.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Guys thanks for your contributions. :) but I think the attack on Dublin was uncalled for.

Odlum thanks for your support on the issue of Belfast deserving Investment. :)

An American guy was really angry with her for saying it. He said to me "She's insane."

As someone else said to me why does ANYWHERE not deserve Investment?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts