Skyscraper City Forum banner

Do you like the expeditiousness of the Northeast & Mid-Atlantic?

  • Yes, I love it.

    Votes: 18 46.2%
  • No.

    Votes: 4 10.3%
  • I've lived in the Northeast my entire life, so I don't notice.

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • I've lived in the Mid-Atlantic my entire life, so I don't notice.

    Votes: 10 25.6%
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Blame it on...
Joined
·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you love or hate the fast past lifestyle, aggressiveness, and haphazardness that occurs in the Northeast & Mid-Atlantic?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,861 Posts
^Same here.

98% of my life has been spent in the Boston-Washington corridor. Aside from vactions and other trips, I rarely leave the BoWash area and honestly, what reason would I have to?
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
18,292 Posts
i was born near philly, and haved lived i delaware for the last 21 of my 22 years, but i am aware of the fast lifestyle. i see this the most on the roads. of course, people in almost every city drive fast on the interstates. some cities are faster than others. when i was in buffalo last month, i noticed for the first time that many people drive at or barely above the speed limit; it was really pissing me off, and i did some aggressive things to get where i wanted a little bit faster. buffalo is a little more laid back than delaware in my opinion.

but where you really see how fast-paced people are is on the back roads and surface roads. if people are still doing 20 or 25 mph over the speed limit on your typical four-lane highway in the suburbs or outside of the city, then you can see how fast-paced the society is. for instance, in my area, i and almost everyone else does around 70 mph on limestone road, which is a four lane road that branches off of kirkwood highway (you typical highway with the shopping plazas and whatnot). limestone road has a mix of shopping plazas, neighborhoods, open land, and other stuff. but in this more-laid-back area (as compared to i-95), people still do 20 or 30 mph over the speed limit. similarly, there is an interection near my parents' neighborhood out i the countryside (well, kind of the countryside). the intersection of doe run road and little baltimore road is a three way stop, with stop signs at all three joints. those stop signs might as well be blank pieces of cardboard bolted onto the pole, because it would do just as good. this intersection is heavily used for being out in the woods, because there are neighborhoods all around in the area, and the intersection is only 100 ft from the pennsylvania border, and little baltimore road is used by pennsylvanians to get to work in delaware. anyway, no one stops at this intersection, and it has turned into a pretty lawless road. anyone that stops at the stop sign is a sucker, and will be waiting for cars to get through the intersection, even if those cars got to the stop sign 15 seconds after you did.

sorry for the rambling, but the short of it is that i am aware of the fast-paced lifestyle here in delaware, and in the northeast in general. i like it this way, too.
 

·
Blame it on...
Joined
·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
xzmattzx said:
but where you really see how fast-paced people are is on the back roads and surface roads. if people are still doing 20 or 25 mph over the speed limit on your typical four-lane highway in the suburbs or outside of the city, then you can see how fast-paced the society is. for instance, in my area, i and almost everyone else does around 70 mph on limestone road, which is a four lane road that branches off of kirkwood highway (you typical highway with the shopping plazas and whatnot). limestone road has a mix of shopping plazas, neighborhoods, open land, and other stuff. but in this more-laid-back area (as compared to i-95), people still do 20 or 30 mph over the speed limit. similarly, there is an interection near my parents' neighborhood out i the countryside (well, kind of the countryside). the intersection of doe run road and little baltimore road is a three way stop, with stop signs at all three joints. those stop signs might as well be blank pieces of cardboard bolted onto the pole, because it would do just as good. this intersection is heavily used for being out in the woods, because there are neighborhoods all around in the area, and the intersection is only 100 ft from the pennsylvania border, and little baltimore road is used by pennsylvanians to get to work in delaware. anyway, no one stops at this intersection, and it has turned into a pretty lawless road. anyone that stops at the stop sign is a sucker, and will be waiting for cars to get through the intersection, even if those cars got to the stop sign 15 seconds after you did.
Does anyone pause at this intersection to see if another vehicle is coming?
What are the posted speed limits? Do cops ever stop people for excessive speeds?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,517 Posts
Rwarky said:
Does anyone pause at this intersection to see if another vehicle is coming?
What are the posted speed limits? Do cops ever stop people for excessive speeds?
Those things do happen, but in our own way. Of course you stop at stop signs. You'd be crazy to not do it but the real question is about the game of chicken that goes on over who goes first. As for red lights, of course you stop but the real question is, when the light on your side turns green, how many cars get to go through on red before that light is really considered to be red. This differs depending on the area and width of the road; wider roads, worse neighbordoods, more cars go through on red. Speed limits are posted everywhere, but the question is, what is the REAL speed limit. It's posted at 30, everybody is driving at least 40 but when the police are watching, everybody is doing about 35 as long as they are in a group. The rule is then... don't do more than 5 mph over the limit if you are alone on the road. Simple, you just have to know the real rules.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,034 Posts
xzmattzx said:
when i was in buffalo last month, i noticed for the first time that many people drive at or barely above the speed limit; it was really pissing me off, and i did some aggressive things to get where i wanted a little bit faster. buffalo is a little more laid back than delaware in my opinion.
I can't speak for Delaware, since I've only been there once and that was driving the length of the state on Rte 13 without stopping. And it was from about 5-7:30 in the morning. But in the context of New England vs. Buffalo (as you use as an example), I agree with you whole-heartedly. Actually, it's one of my reasons for relocating back to Buffalo, the whole laid-back thing. It seems to me that everywhere in the US (except perhaps California) is "slower" than the northeast, and I actually like that. I can't stand the "I'm in a hurry, I can't be bothered to find time in my busy lifestyle to use my turn signal, much less make a left turn from the proper lane" way of life around here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,589 Posts
seeing that I have lived in NY, FL, VA and Illinois all at some point after turning 18, I can say that FL has more to do than most places I have seen up here in NY, economy is better and weather is warmer, in turn...better day to spend out enjoying whatever.

I guess I enjoy Buffalo and WNY only because it's home, but people are amazing...they are so miserable, mean and stupid here...oh well, we elect them too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
I liked the northeast better circa 1980 than now.
Going downtown to the movies was major, Arcades, Cavernous Department stores. You might just run into a celeb. I think they were a little bit busier in early eighties. I travel to NYC Balt DC Jersey very often but this is coming from a Philly state of mind. and from what I hear I was born just in time to catch the tail end of Phillys' glory days. HQ's actually located here, Bi-centennial, Sixers, Flyers, Phillies, and the Birds was all great at the same time So I am biased but we're sophisticated. with city skills. We can dodge holes and deviations(littleman that got ya) in the ground effortlessly. We can spot a 10 Dollar bill laying in the half dead grass 20 paces away. women can board a bus 1 baby on hip another toddler at her side a stroller around other arm, dig in purse get out exact change for fare and transfer moving 40 mph stop and go without incident. When I moved from one train car to the other in Atlanta they looke at me mouths agape like I was Superman The main things about these places were that they were large culturally diverse populations compared to rest of country. My block in germantown had Blacks Whites and Hispanics. I think that leads to the fast-pace, aggresiveness and haphazardness that you speak of. Confrontation with things that are different, you are forced brave or to be cool and to make that decision fast. Major conflicts and ugliness but the biggest strides and achievements. And the best Music/Art by far. Hardship and pain Joy and beauty all in the same day.

Now it seems things are more market driven and polarized. We have Re-Segregated ourselves. and when I go to urban centers I see GAPStarbucksStaplesTargetBestBuyGAPStarbucksStaplesTargetBestBuyGAPStarbucksStaplesTargetBestBuy
Same top forty on every station. Our radio playlists are the same as Topeka's
No places for common folk to intermingle without an alchohol/drug induced buzz.
You have to shop and get the eff out of town.
IMO this sterilizes cities. Picture soil turning slowly into sand.
We'll never get a song like "I Can't Go for That" Hall & Oates again. I have family in the very rural Florida "the country" . I used to laugh at them cause they had one radio station, one supermarket, 2 blurry tv stations from Jacksonville. and had to drive a car to get anywhere. and all the black folks lived across the tracks literally. I though to myself OMG How Backwater. What is this 1950?

Well Its coming to your town... Better learn how to Square Dance
City Slickers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,041 Posts
I like the south. But it always was a bit too slow for me. I never understood the whole "people up north are too mean" thing though. Anyone can be mean doesnt matter where you are at.
 

·
metrocard millionaire
Joined
·
1,257 Posts
Disneymustdie said:
I liked the northeast better circa 1980 than now.
Going downtown to the movies was major, Arcades, Cavernous Department stores. You might just run into a celeb. I think they were a little bit busier in early eighties. I travel to NYC Balt DC Jersey very often but this is coming from a Philly state of mind. and from what I hear I was born just in time to catch the tail end of Phillys' glory days. HQ's actually located here, Bi-centennial, Sixers, Flyers, Phillies, and the Birds was all great at the same time So I am biased but we're sophisticated. with city skills. We can dodge holes and deviations(littleman that got ya) in the ground effortlessly. We can spot a 10 Dollar bill laying in the half dead grass 20 paces away. women can board a bus 1 baby on hip another toddler at her side a stroller around other arm, dig in purse get out exact change for fare and transfer moving 40 mph stop and go without incident. When I moved from one train car to the other in Atlanta they looke at me mouths agape like I was Superman The main things about these places were that they were large culturally diverse populations compared to rest of country. My block in germantown had Blacks Whites and Hispanics. I think that leads to the fast-pace, aggresiveness and haphazardness that you speak of. Confrontation with things that are different, you are forced brave or to be cool and to make that decision fast. Major conflicts and ugliness but the biggest strides and achievements. And the best Music/Art by far. Hardship and pain Joy and beauty all in the same day.

Now it seems things are more market driven and polarized. We have Re-Segregated ourselves. and when I go to urban centers I see GAPStarbucksStaplesTargetBestBuyGAPStarbucksStaplesTargetBestBuyGAPStarbucksStaplesTargetBestBuy
Same top forty on every station. Our radio playlists are the same as Topeka's
No places for common folk to intermingle without an alchohol/drug induced buzz.
You have to shop and get the eff out of town.
IMO this sterilizes cities. Picture soil turning slowly into sand.
We'll never get a song like "I Can't Go for That" Hall & Oates again. I have family in the very rural Florida "the country" . I used to laugh at them cause they had one radio station, one supermarket, 2 blurry tv stations from Jacksonville. and had to drive a car to get anywhere. and all the black folks lived across the tracks literally. I though to myself OMG How Backwater. What is this 1950?

.
man I agree wholeheartedly....although I wasn't around pre 1980's...I was born in 83...and I remember seeing these things slowly fade away...

yeah there are way too many targets everywhere
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
478 Posts
I enjoy the fast paced lifestyle. I lived in New Hampshire for 5 years before moving to Chicago this past fall, and I swear Southern NH (still the outter Boston suburbs) was more fast paced then Chicago. I love Chi-town but I miss the fast pace of the NE.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
I love the northeast, but you have to admit, the people are generally nicer in other parts of the country. Even other big cities like Chicago, the people are a little more tolerant.

That laid back, open spaces, see the sky, slow stroll, slower talk, easy drive, homecooking lifestyle doesn't sound that bad to me. Especially when I'm always concerned with tax bases, regional development, coffers, etc.

Everything is planned to the "T" in the northeast. Which is probably why all the financial, medical, and government institutions are all located in DCBmorePhillyNewYorkBoston mega city.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,600 Posts
Seems like people are more apprehensive and less sure of themselves in the midwest, I think it's their reluctancy that makes them tolerant and less aggressive and in turn nicer, some places it's not like this, but overall, I think people are the nicest in the south and west and worst in the NE, but I don't mind, I'm actually kind of glad I grew up and live in this environment so it's not a surprise and I'm not culture shocked and paralyzed. I think it's easier to make the transition from NE/Mid-Atl. to other places than it is vice versa.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,175 Posts
BuffCity said:
I guess I enjoy Buffalo and WNY only because it's home, but people are amazing...they are so miserable, mean and stupid here...oh well, we elect them too.
Buffalonians are known nationwide as some of the friendliest people. I've lived in WNY for 22 years and i've never noticed the people to be "miserable, mean, or stupid"...well maybe a little stupid for the people we elect but I put some blame on the State govt. I don't notice people getting miserable or mean until i get closer to Albany (no offensive Albany, I've went to college there and I love it). The Buffalonians that live in the same Buffalo as me are incredibly passionate about there city and would take a 50% pay cut to stay than move elsewhere.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,452 Posts
I'd have to agree about the congeniality of the people in Buffalo. After spending my 20s in NYC, it was refreshing to find people in Buffalo so open and friendly. I moved upstate just 3 weeks before one of those (in)famous blizzards that made CNN headlines. The thing that I noticed was how all the neighbors came out of their houses to help dig out driveways, sidewalks, cars, etc. And then everyone went to the local neighborhood dive bar (The Old Pink Flamingo on Allen Street) and got totally drunk together, as a community. It was beautiful--and nothing like anything I had ever seen during my 8 years in NYC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,861 Posts
I know this sounds awful, but unless I befriend a person, I really dont expect them to give a damn about me. As long as they dont do something completely disrespectful, then Im fine.

Its so funny when I go other places and the taxi driver or wait staff or random person walking down the street wants to talk or strike up a random convo. Its makes me feel so weird...lol. Gimmie me the northeast corridor anyday.

Unless its for a much more beautiful, less urban place like Nigril or Turks and Caicos or the South of France or soemthing.
 
1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Top