• Outlet Malls

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Online Shopping

Votes: 5 15.6%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I vote closed. All of these 'avenues' and 'lifestyle centers' will go back indoors once people get tired of shopping door to door in the weather. It goes in cycles.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
It depends on how they're planned. Outdoor malls are better in a way b/c there's not as much of a barrier between the outside and inside of the mall so it's not as pedestrian-unfriendly, but enclosed malls obviously aren't exposed to the elements. I think in the future, we could see a hybrid between the two. A somewhat or partially enclosed mall w/o many barriers between the outside and inside with transit and mixed-use developments nearby. The auto-centric mall of the past most likely will not be coming back in previous form.

·
Journeyman
16,928 Posts
This is an urban forum, so let me be the first to say...I don't shop at either, because I like cities. Unless by "enclosed mall" you mean one that's integrated with a downtown.

Sort of a "money where my mouth is" issue.

·
Journeyman
16,928 Posts
I'm a fan of actual town centers. The "new town center" concept is a fine second option when done well, like no surface parking (not just hidden).

·
Registered
48 Posts
We have a "town center" here in the suburbs of Charleston. It's really nice, more attractive, and more convenient than going to an indoor mall (which I really don't care for).

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
I like the good old fashioned "street that has shops on it". Not like a pedestrian only street but a real street thats part of a city's road network with cars and everything.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I heard somewhere that no new enclosed shopping malls have been built in the USA for the past two years. Is this true?

Even in New Zealand, we have new ones popping up.

As for the question, I prefer outdoor shopping and online shopping to shopping in malls, but, here, most large stores are in malls, and most good deals are in malls.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I know in general they're the epitome of suburban development, but I still like going to enclosed malls. The weather outside is of no concern, you have a couple of hundred stores selling everything imaginable, a large selection of of places to eat, as well as a movie theater. Not a bad way to spend an afternoon in my opinion.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
This is an urban forum, so let me be the first to say...I don't shop at either, because I like cities. Unless by "enclosed mall" you mean one that's integrated with a downtown.

Sort of a "money where my mouth is" issue.
Most enclosed malls are in "cities" and many are downtown. What would an enclosed mall that's integrated with downtown look like?

·
Journeyman
16,928 Posts
Yes, nearly all malls are in cities, i.e. urban agglomerations. But few are city-friendly.

By "integrated with a downtown" I mean lots of stores have entrances along the street, etc.

·
Arch(Struct) Engineer
Toasted Ravioli
1,856 Posts
I prefer a strip mall or stand alone store where you can park in front of the store you plan on shopping at.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts