Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
All the way with PJK
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings one and all. I was reminiscing about a trip to Melbourne in January 2001 that I took with a few friends and my newish 2.1 Megapixel digital camera that set me back $1200 at the time.

I convinced my friends to go down after having seen a short doco on the design and construction of the Republic Tower. I had to see it in person. One of my aims was to walk down every main street in the CBD and take photos along the way. Whilst we did a lot of laneway exploration, I took no photos of them on this first trip. Strangely we didn't venture east past Exhibition Street though we were only there for 3 days, and I had to cover Carlton, Fitzroy, Collingwood, South Yarra, St Kilda, South Melbourne, Southbank, Albert Park and Port Melbourne. We did it all, and all on foot!

But for now I just wanted to show mostly the CBD back then, especially the parts where dramatic changes have occurred since.

The soundtrack to this thread is called 'Sea of Love', covered by The Honeydrippers. If you want to hassle me for it, that's Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin fame, one of the most talented musicians ever, singing it. You lose!

-------------------------------------------------

At the time, it was clearly a lovely-ish building, but one that you walked *around*.
------------------------------------

Fed Square under construction and full of promise.

I'm pretty sure the station was refurbed after I took this photo, but the big change here is that from the same angle today, there a rather big building that says 'peekaboo' right above the dome there. :)

What's with all the sky there?

Yarra's Edge just sprouting.

Where's the beef?

Can't quite put my finger on it here, but something is definitely wrong with this picture...

Is that the old Southern Cross I see?

Melbourne Central looking lonely.

An extremely NewQuay

Where are you, CH2?

Well, at least some things don't change....

This area was quite quiet at the time.

Nonda goodness, and later the home of one of our most esteemed forumers.

This is a rather confusing angle for me. I seem to remember a skateboard park here, and if I'm not mistaken, I think it's the site of QV block. Anyone?

When I stumbled across this building I remarked to my friends something along the lines of "I don't know why, but there's something I like about this building and this spot and if I ever live in St Kilda, that's the building I want to do it in" Later that year I did a massive double take whilst watching tv - My secret building had a very 'public life' in the few years after I took this photo.

You might consult your fridge magnets nowadays, but this was taken before September 11, the Tampa debacle, and the Cronulla race riots.

I wanna tell you, just how much, I love you...oooo....ooooooo.

·
Registered Abuser
2,904 Posts
Noice Tony. You are correct, the skate park was resident where Grollo built his urban village, as well as a carpark. Don't you just lovecarparks?

·
Registered
12,898 Posts
2001 seems not that long ago..yet the changes are amazing !!! Nothing stays the same..for long ! Great pics..thanks.......as icanseeformiles says..we cant imagine what changes will transform the city yet again in the coming 7 years ???? PS...even one of the 12 apostles has been demolished since then!!!...pps...and Archi is such a visionary!!!!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
2001 seems not that long ago..yet the changes are amazing !!! Nothing stays the same..for long ! Great pics..thanks.......as icanseeformiles says..we cant imagine what changes will transform the city yet again in the coming 7 years ???? PS...even one of the 12 apostles has been demolished since then!!!...pps...and Archi is such a visionary!!!!
yeah - the rest of those apostle things have gotta go - such a blight on that coastline
:runaway:

·
Registered
12,898 Posts
Yeah, anything highrise on a coastal area must be a big no-no!!!!!

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
We can't complain really can we...Melbourne has been very lucky over the past 6 years...
Can't believe how much it has actually changed!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Inspired thread! Bit of a mindf**k too, reflecting on the transformation. I remember drinking upstairs in the Sahara Bar opposite QV when it was a huge hole in the ground & some punters were wondering what the hell was being built. Most things have changed for the better (that bar was one of the few interesting/quirky places to drink in the CBD, now you can't throw a brick without hitting one) but not everything - back in 2001 there were no Starbucks...

·
Registered Abuser
2,904 Posts
but not everything - back in 2001 there were no Starbucks...
How does that work? How does a city with some of the best coffee in the world end up with starbucks? Who is going there? Is it different to Starbucks in America, coz I've been there and the coffee is bleh (like most is in America). If you want that kind of coffee why not at least go to Hudsons or Glorias, they're Australian. I honestly can't work it out.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
How does that work? How does a city with some of the best coffee in the world end up with starbucks? Who is going there? Is it different to Starbucks in America, coz I've been there and the coffee is bleh (like most is in America). If you want that kind of coffee why not at least go to Hudsons or Glorias, they're Australian. I honestly can't work it out.
Mate, the 'gross-ness' of Starbucks is universial...in London it's like drinking hot milk with a 'hint' of weak coffee in it....
I am very passionate about how much I hate Starbucks and it has no place in Melbourne as far as I'm concerned.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts