SkyscraperCity banner

What kind of Canada do you want?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out curiousity, how many forumers would support a United Canada?

Personally, I would be fine with Quebec Separation, but I would hope that English Canada will be able to pull together as a country. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Hmmm a great idea for a thread- really got me thinking, reconsidering my own views.

I say United Canada, and a Quebec splitoff I could care less about, except the poor Native people would be in trouble...

I like the United Canada idea... further decentralization would worry me that B.C. would feel even less familiar to me, and as a country we wouldn't have the same 'unitedness' we do now that I love, but like most Canadians, take for granted.

-SP!RE

·
Registered
973 Posts
^ What do you mean by BC being less familiar to you?

Any way I would definatly want a United Canada.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I actually want Quebec to separate. I'm tired of hearing their threats to separate every two years, so Ontario has to open the purse strings to bribe them to stay in the country over and over again. I like to visit Montreal and Quebec City, and I have nothing personal against the people, I'm just tired of subsidizing their European levels of social programs while Ontario is stuck with less than American levels of social programs, and Canadian tax levels!

·
Registered
13,909 Posts
Canada is a country where its people express great pride in their country, something which many countries dont have because it is considered to be racist or embarressing. Just because a certain minority of people think something, doesnt mean its right.
Canada works very well. There is no need to alter it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I chose "United Canada" because I think the country should hold together. However, that doesn't mean that I'd like Canada to take a page from China's textbook and adopt a "One Canada" policy whereby we encourage the international community to shun any part that separates from Canada, or that we'll otherwise strongarm a territory into staying. We're a more mature society than that... if a majority vote says Quebec (or any other province) would like to separate, they should be allowed. I hope we stay together, but only if it is our collective desire to do so.

Together, we are a G8 nation that has a diverse culture and economy, a very good reputation amongst the international community, and an enviable standard of living. Apart, each area may or may not do well for itself... but I think all of us, and even the world, would lose something special.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I support United Cities of Canada ala Roman Empire, with the big 4 on it, Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver and Calgary. That's a dream team.

·
Welcome to the Rail World
4,671 Posts
lithe_n_deaf said:
Together, we are a G8 nation that has a diverse culture and economy, a very good reputation amongst the international community, and an enviable standard of living. Apart, each area may or may not do well for itself... but I think all of us, and even the world, would lose something special.
Maybe, maybe not. I don't think you are seeing the intricities of it though. Yeah, Canada is diverse - in the big cities. That's because a huge, no; vast majority of immigrants go to the cities. Country areas tend to be rather bland as far as diversity is concerned, and some areas perhaps can even be called racist, because there is no diversity and people really would rather not have that change (but these communities tend to be so small they're lucky to be on a map). The only reason this country is a G8 economy is because of Toronto and Vancouver, and maaaybe Calgary/Edmonton (stretch?). Montreal would be a contributor if it weren't in Quebec. The fact is that this country is spread too thin, and it is running under a system 1.5 centuries old! Screw this crap, it's falling apart already. Cause? Centralization!
Forget this united garbage. Too many people are getting hurt by it - city people make up 80-something% of this country's population, and they are being shit on by the federal government in Toronto. Without Toronto, and Montreal, this country would be virtually uninhabited and have no economic strength in the east, it might have become an expansion of Asia instead of Europe.
Since I left the country, and watched it from the outside, I've changed my perspective based on what I've learned by keeping in touch with people online and also seeing views of people I hadn't met before in relation to the news and whathaveyou. I no longer have pride in being a Canadian, because Toronto is not Canada. I am Torontonian. My hatred of suburbs is not likely confined to the GTA, no, it includes every place in the country that is not Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, or possibly Winnipeg. These places are too small to live in and are not civilization! SCREW IT! Quit raping Toronto 6 feet into the ground! Decentralization is a necessity for this country to stay afloat at all. The governments in power in Canada make me sick with the way they abuse the system without a second thought. The political parties that are not a bunch of assholes have extremely small numbers in the House (Green and NDP). This country is blind to let itself be run by this ridiculous riding system. YES, THE BIG CITIES SHOULD DECIDE A FEDERAL ELECTION! THAT'S WHERE THE PEOPLE ARE! Are you living in bumblefucknowhere? SUFFER! IT'S YOUR OWN FAULT!
I vilely despise how less than 20% of the population makes up 90% of the government.
This country's days are numbered if there isn't a new system to replace the one from nearly 1.5 centuries ago. This is total BS. There are serious political divides across the country anyway, they might as well be separate countries. BC and Alberta can become one country, Ontario one country, Quebec one country, the Maritimes one country, and the Prairies can be delisted since nobody outside native indians live there anyway, same with the Territories. Canada is dead. There are only the cities. Decentralize or die.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
DRTO said:
For every province except Ontario!

...or not. Maybe we should be thankful... Ontario is amazing compared with most of the world, it is a great, safe, well-taken care of place, and as well, it is better than many provinces in Canada. (Nfndlnd, etc.)

Let's stop feeling sorry for ourselves.

·
Registered
830 Posts
van-tbird said:
I support United Cities of Canada ala Roman Empire, with the big 4 on it, Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver and Calgary. That's a dream team.
Now you're talking brother!

Nation states are becoming less relevant in a global economy based on the wealth of cities. More power has to be given to municipal jurisdictions to ensure Canada's economy remains healthy. Simply put, wither Canadian cities, wither Canada.

·
The Tropics of Canada
5,065 Posts
I think maybe the rest of Canada should vote if we want Quebec to leave, reverse the role a bit

·
SSLL
8,354 Posts
Doesn't Germany have a federation of states and city-states? I wouldn't be opposed to the current system we have now + the city states of the top 6 cities (Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Ottawa-Gatineau, Calgary, Edmonton). I think it'd give more balance to cities.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts