Votes: 13 50.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
15,845 Posts
No, I do not.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Dumb question. Illegal and impossible anyway, a city cannot be located in two states.
There isn't any real legal reason why a trans-state city wouldn't be possible, though there are no current examples (places like Texarkana and Kansas City being separate municipalities in different states). Hudson County could also be annexed by New York state on agreement of both states, which is probably more realistic. If Hudson County and New York City wanted it (probably not the case, but it could be), I see little reason why either state would resist.

Jersey City alone would be silly, as you'd be leaving out a lot of equally urban areas in the rest of Hudson County. But eastern Hudson County joining New York City makes sense. (I would leave Kearny, East Newark, Harrison and maybe Secaucus [the Hackensack River does make a nice border, though] in New Jersey, with Kearny, East Newark and Harrison joining Essex County and Secaucus joining Bergen County.)

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,632 Posts
New Jersey would never allow a big piece of their tax base and a strong economic engine to go to another state. Cities can and have annexed areas in neighboring counties within the same state but never from another state.

That said, there's no reason why NYC shouldn't gobble up Nassau County on Long Island. :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
New Jersey would never allow a big piece of their tax base and a strong economic engine to go to another state. Cities can and have annexed areas in neighboring counties within the same state but never from another state.

That said, there's no reason why NYC shouldn't gobble up Nassau County on Long Island. :D
No way Nassau County would allow that. The last time it almost happened the residents were perfectly fine paying insane tax hikes to avoid becoming part of NYC. I can see why one of the best school systems in the country wouldn't want to adopt NYC standards.

·
Registered
200 Posts

Hudson County definitely pays less than it receives from New Jersey, with the combination of many Abbott districts, discounted sales taxes in UEZs and significant poverty. True, Jersey City has a number of businesses, but that doesn't even come close to making up for the costs. I think New Jersey would be fine with giving up Hudson County, as it would be a net positive for the rest of the state--the real question would be whether New York City would want it.

Don't see any reason to annex Nassau County, though. It's totally suburban.

·
Registered
81 Posts
It would make sense to annex parts of Nassau County if development of the urban core was extending out to the Queens-Nassau boundary. I agree that Hudson County is a natural sixth borough since it already has a developed urban core, and needs better transit connections with Manhattan. The biggest barrier to this process that I see would be whether the State of New Jersey would agree.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts