SkyscraperCity banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do you think any Sub-Saharan African nations will become developed nations?

Do you believe any Sub-Saharan African nations will become developed nations in the near future and which ones do you feel are best placed to achieve this?

Due to its large population, oil wealth and other natural resources, Nigeria is often cited as a potential African power, if not world power at some point in the future.

Which Sub-Saharan African countries do you think will be considered developed in the near future?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Nigeria
Tanzania
Ghana
Kenya
Angola
SA

On the long term Mozambique, (offshore resources have recently been discovered)

The Chinese will keep investing in Africa and their natural resources will bring them vast economic growth, but it will take at least 20 years and maybe 30 or 40 for countrys like Mozambique imo.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Not in the near future, probably after China and Latin America are already developed. But the most probable:

Gabon
Bostwana
South Africa
Namíbia
Angola

·
29,026 Posts
I'd say that Sub-Saharan Africa right now is probably where most of Asia (except Japan) was in the seventies. The problem is the governments. They need to have better and less corrupt leadership who are not dependent on outsiders (aka foreign aid) to develop, try to find niches in the global economy, while investing more money in education, health, and infrastructure. The reality is that most African countries are actually rich but temporarily poor due to human mistakes.

100 years is way too pessimistic. Go ask the average person in 1970 the same question about China and they'd probably say the same thing. The people stuck on that whole idea that Africa is a hopeless case are out of date. Investment has exploded in many African countries in the last 10 years and many are starting to see a semblance of a middle class. Mobile banking for example is actually higher in many African countries than in the West. Africa is the next sleeping giant.

·
Registered
24,480 Posts
These countries will be the first developed.

South Africa.
Gabon.
Angola.
Kenya.
Mozambique.
Bostwana.
Ethiopia.

·
How fast are you?!
3,512 Posts
I'd say that Sub-Saharan Africa right now is probably where most of Asia (except Japan) was in the seventies. The problem is the governments. They need to have better and less corrupt leadership who are not dependent on outsiders (aka foreign aid) to develop, try to find niches in the global economy, while investing more money in education, health, and infrastructure. The reality is that most African countries are actually rich but temporarily poor due to human mistakes.

100 years is way too pessimistic. Go ask the average person in 1970 the same question about China and they'd probably say the same thing. The people stuck on that whole idea that Africa is a hopeless case are out of date. Investment has exploded in many African countries in the last 10 years and many are starting to see a semblance of a middle class. Mobile banking for example is actually higher in many African countries than in the West. Africa is the next sleeping giant.
Since when is China a developed country?. :|

·
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
4,258 Posts
^^

He meant that asking a person in 1970 when China is going to become developed the answer would probably be bt the year 2070+. But now that China has grown very much the last 30 years it's very likely that China becomes developed before 2070. Around 2030-35 to be precise is my prediction when China is a developed country.

·
Je suis tout à vous
16,456 Posts
^^

He meant that asking a person in 1970 when China is going to become developed the answer would probably be bt the year 2070+. But now that China has grown very much the last 30 years it's very likely that China becomes developed before 2070. Around 2030-35 to be precise is my prediction when China is a developed country.
Well, well well... Around 2040 or 2050 when China becomes fully developed (which I doubt) it would have passed 70+ years (since 1970) so yes, 100 years would be about right, considering the fact that those countries are in a worse position than China was in 1970..

·
29,026 Posts
fastboyRD said:
Since when is China a developed country?. :|
My point was that perceptions change over time. In 1970, most of Asia was in the same shape that Africa is today, and now look at it. They arent developed yet but they are much improved. The same will happen to African nations if they develop right.

In a way it's a good thing that some stick to the outdated reputation of Africa. The one who know the truth will profit. :)

·
ONE WORLD
9,172 Posts
Nigeria and Ethiopia will become major powers with 200 million people in the future if all goes well, though Nigeria has more of the resources and Ethiopia more of the old world culture (read: tourism). PR Congo too will have a huge population and has large oil and mineral deposits, and also geographically forms a mittel-Afrika, a crossroads to the continent. I do hope it preserves it's rainforest though, that blankets much of the centre.

South Africa, Tanzania, Kenya, Sudan, Angola, Ghana may also be key regional players.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have difficulty imagining the Sahel region becoming developed, due to conflict, sparse resources, huge distances. But those countries have relatively low populations, so I suppose in theory could be pulled up quite quickly if the rest of the continent develops.

·
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
4,258 Posts
Well, well well... Around 2040 or 2050 when China becomes fully developed (which I doubt) it would have passed 70+ years (since 1970) so yes, 100 years would be about right, considering the fact that those countries are in a worse position than China was in 1970..
Why do you doubt that China will become developed? And why 2040-2050?
I've studied the stats and many other countries development history and my prediction is that China's east cost will become developed around 2020-2025 and the country as a whole will become developed around 2030-2035. In terms of development China as whole is were South Korea was around 1980, and South Korea became developed in the late 1990's. So being developed by 2030-2035 for China isn't too far off, but certainly not later than 2040.

·
Je suis tout à vous
16,456 Posts
Is not that I doubt that china will become a developed country, it's that China has 1 billion inhabitant, and it will takes decades to China to be at the level of Portugal or Spain.

·
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
4,258 Posts
Is not that I doubt that china will become a developed country, it's that China has 1 billion inhabitant, and it will takes decades to China to be at the level of Portugal or Spain.
It doesn't work that way, it's not a queue-system or waiting-system were people wait upon each other in getting richer. Instead everybody gets richer together, however some gets more rich and some gets less rich. Today in China everybody is richer than they were 10 years ago, it's an even larger contrast 20 years ago compared to today.
And 1.3 billion inhabitants aren't so much if you compare to Europe which is 700 million. Just double the density.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.