SkyscraperCity banner

Do you think Gerry Adams was involved in the murder of Jean McConville?

• YES

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • NO

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • WOULD NOT SURPRISE ME - HE'S AN EX-TERRORIST

Votes: 4 40.0%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An interview with an IRA member who alleges Gerry Adams was involved in the murder of Jean McConville is to be broadcast for the first time tonight on RTE.

Adams McConville allegations to be broadcast

An interview with an IRA member who alleges Gerry Adams was involved in the murder of a West Belfast woman is to be broadcast for the first time.

Mother-of-ten Jean McConville disappeared from her home in 1972. She was killed and secretly buried on a beach in County Louth.

The interview was conducted with Brendan Hughes in 2008 and will be broadcast on RTE on Tuesday evening.

Mr Adams has denied being involved in Mrs McConville's disappearance.

Brendan Hughes' account of his life in the IRA has already been published in a book, Voices from the Grave.

On a tape, he claims the IRA twice found a British Army radio transmitter in Mrs McConville's home in Divis flats.

He adds that she ignored a warning and that led to her murder - which he later regretted.

He says: "A special squad was brought into the operation then, called The Unknowns.

"Anyone that needed to be taken away, they normally done (sic) it. I had no control over this squad. Gerry had control of this particular squad."

The McConville family has denied their mother was an informer. That was later backed up by an Ombudsman's report.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-11631734

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
The trouble is if someone writes "yes" without proof, then that person and maybe SSC's owner could be sued for Libel. :)

Perhaps? :)

If you have no proof, (any of you), best just to leave it.

Edit: But I suppose if someone is just saying what they think is the case and not what is the case, then that is not slanderous or libelous.

I don't know if he was or not.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I really don't care anymore what he did.....too tired and bored when ever stuff like this gets bought up time and time again.
Yeah, easy for you from the comfort of your Dublin home.

Unfortunately we up here have to put up with him and his tinpot political party in our local govt.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I really don't care anymore what he did.....too tired and bored when ever stuff like this gets bought up time and time again.
And I'm sure family and relatives of his and his cohorts' victims still care.....

Sorry like, if that bores you too.

·
22,304 Posts
And I'm sure family and relatives of his and his cohorts' victims still care.....

Sorry like, if that bores you too.

Indeed, the families are the most important thing to remember in all this. The thought of your loved one dumped and buried in some bogland somewhere on the island of Ireland is utterly horrific.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Indeed, the families are the most important thing to remember in all this. The thought of your loved one dumped and buried in some bogland somewhere on the island of Ireland is utterly horrific.
Especially when you turn on the tv/ open a newspaper everyday and see the person responsible in government, and grinning back at you.

·
Registered
509 Posts
You might care if it was one of your family members he tortured, murdered and made their body disappear. Jean McConville's body was found with no fingers, because someone cut them off. This was a disgusting episode and insensitive remarks like those above should be condemned without reservation. Shame on you. odlum

·
Registered
509 Posts
Im not intending to be insensitive but this comes up year after year. All im saying is that I don't think the public pay attention as much as they should and I think that is because of the tediousness of it. If he did something then just charge him.
Now you're changing your tune, but not enough for me. The Holocaust "comes up year after year"; the attack on the World Trade Towers "comes up year after year" - What are you talking about? Now you're a spokesperson for "the public" too? "The tediousness of it"?

Sorry that it's so "tedious" for you, but maybe if one of your family members vanished, and the grinning clown who was involved was in your face every day, denying the he was even in the IRA, you'd change your tune again.

Meanwhile, I'd stick to your usual chirpy trivial chatter about motorway signs and the distance between white lines etc if I was you. You're clearly out of your depth when it comes to having some political sensitivity. These are peoples' murdered loved ones you're describing as "tedious" - how dare you be so cavalier.

·
Registered
14,083 Posts
Now you're changing your tune, but not enough for me. The Holocaust "comes up year after year"; the attack on the World Trade Towers "comes up year after year" - What are you talking about? Now you're a spokesperson for "the public" too? "The tediousness of it"?

Sorry that it's so "tedious" for you, but maybe if one of your family members vanished, and the grinning clown who was involved was in your face every day, denying the he was even in the IRA, you'd change your tune again.

Meanwhile, I'd stick to your usual chirpy trivial chatter about motorway signs and the distance between white lines etc if I was you. You're clearly out of your depth when it comes to having some political sensitivity. These are peoples' murdered loved ones you're describing as "tedious" - how dare you be so cavalier.
Im simply reflecting the views of tv watchers.....here anyway. Gerry Adams is elected you know........he can be voted out. Alot of people done cruel wrongs on both sides...hunt down one - hunt down them all........in the end where will it get us?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Im simply reflecting the views of tv watchers.....here anyway. Gerry Adams is elected you know........he can be voted out. Alot of people done cruel wrongs on both sides...hunt down one - hunt down them all........in the end where will it get us?
Why don't you just express your own opinion instead of the totally pathetic "Im simply reflecting the views of tv watchers" (sic) What are you now? The voice of the unheard sweaty masses? How do you know what "the tv watchers' views are?

I used to think you were someone of reason, but now I see you as a crass, insensitive moron.

·
Registered
14,083 Posts
That is my opinion. Anyone in a perfect world who commits outrageous and awful crime should be punished but here we are talking about a situation of war over 30 years.....im reminded of what a civil servant said to me once that use to work in Maryfield - that individual deaths sadly don't matter in terms of a grander fight...they just don't compared to the all out carnage. So where draw the line? Is it becuase Adams is high profile you want him singled out? Im not a SF supporter by any stretch but where do you draw the line? Prosecute everybody involved?

·
Registered
779 Posts
That is my opinion. Anyone in a perfect world who commits outrageous and awful crime should be punished but
There's a 'but'?

here we are talking about a situation of war over 30 years..
So it's ok then to treat families of those murdered normally, cos sure, it's in the past, eh?

...im reminded of what a civil servant said to me once that use to work in Maryfield - that individual deaths sadly don't matter in terms of a grander fight...they just don't compared to the all out carnage.
Sounds like someone making excuses for a 'cause' if you ask me....

So where draw the line?
somewhere around the law?

Is it becuase Adams is high profile you want him singled out?
No, it's because his name is on the title of this thread.

Im not a SF supporter by any stretch but where do you draw the line? Prosecute everybody involved?
Erm..... yes?

Or do you think because it happened 'ages ago' it matters less?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Try to picture the people of the RoI voting into Govt a coalition of the Christian Brothers and Johnny Adair.

That's something like what it is up here, religous zealots and terrorists.

·
Registered
14,083 Posts
I don't think you are being practical. Arrest and charge one now - you have to charge the huge number of people who perpetrated similar crimes on all sides.

Are we not fed up, just want to move on yet?

You could go on about this forever - what this person and that person did. I think peace is preferable. Those who have done wrong know they have and will take it to the grave. It's like Northern politics - I think most are waiting for quite alot of politicians to just disappear, resign, die whatever. It's a generational thing - everyone just wants to move on.

And before you challenge what I am saying ask yourself this - Is life not better now then it was 15 years ago?

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
If I may weigh in. Life is better in NI than it was 15 years ago and certainly better than it was in the 80s.

Life is not perfect in NI and never will be but that doesn't bother me. Obviously if things were perfect that would be brilliant, but I'm being realistic. I would hate things to revert back to the 80s.

Yes we have peacewalls and painted kerbstones but that doesn't seriously disrupt my life and I doubt anyone elses in NI. But the fact that life is not normal within NI should not bother people living outside of NI, why should it?

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think we are forgetting both sides have blood on their hands. But I can't stand any of the Sinners and I hope someone hangs them out to dry.

The dirt surrounding Adams will slowly come out and there are 'rumours' that Adams will step down as President of SF, McGuinness will replace him as President and Conor Murphy will replace him as First or Deputy First minister (depending on Assembly Elections.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I don't think you are being practical. Arrest and charge one now - you have to charge the huge number of people who perpetrated similar crimes on all sides.
I wondered how long it would take for the "sinn fein argument" to raise it's head, ie "yeah but they did it too...."

What's wrong with wanting terrorists arrested? Is there a law that states that terrorists can only be arrested en masse?

Are we not fed up, just want to move on yet?
Yes we want to move on, can you not move on AND punish those people though? Are we not fed up of what btw?

You could go on about this forever - what this person and that person did. I think peace is preferable.
It's not a choice between the two....

Those who have done wrong know they have and will take it to the grave.
And many do, without remorse and without paying for their crimes.

It's like Northern politics - I think most are waiting for quite alot of politicians to just disappear, resign, die whatever. It's a generational thing - everyone just wants to move on.
I'm afraid you're using that RoI thought process again for NI. No, our politicians won't just die out and be replaced by new popular moderate proper politicians.

And before you challenge what I am saying ask yourself this - Is life not better now then it was 15 years ago?
It is in some ways, but not in others. Still doesn't mean we can just forget about crimes committed though.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I think we are forgetting both sides have blood on their hands.
Again with the "sinn feinesque" argument.... "but they did it too..."

The title says 'Gerry Adams', not 'everybody who murdered in NI'.

The dirt surrounding Adams will slowly come out and there are 'rumours' that Adams will step down as President of SF, McGuinness will replace him as President and Conor Murphy will replace him as First or Deputy First minister (depending on Assembly Elections.
Maybe so, but McGuinness for one has more blood on his hands than Gerry. And what's more, people still vote for them!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts