Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Dangerous User
9,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for me no no :nono: way!!! there are so many skyscrapers in jakarta in fact it has more than singapore skyscrapers (i mean office towers) and the latest food chain (means latest food place like thai express, ajisen ramen bread talk and many more!:cheers: ) then latest technology :pepper:eek:hh cool!!

how about you??:hm:
post ur reply here!! :runaway:

·
Urban Monk
2,432 Posts
it is SO HARD to tell... i mean.. what standard are we talking here? in term of shopping malls etc, Jakarta wins.. but in term of quality of life.. well.... dirty water.. bad telephone lines... public transport... crime?.. dust? polution... etcetera...... the list just goes on...

·
Dangerous User
9,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wat does i mean is the standard of living cause from what i'have seen jakarta is now becoming / going to international standard as there are more aprtment build less polluted (except for the brown kali ang got:puke:) more organised and less traffic jam

·
Registered
6,022 Posts
Jakarta is definitely behind other major SE Asian cities such as KL, Bangkok, Manila in terms of transportation system, air quality, international reputation as a tourist destination etc. Living standards is probably comparable to Manila but lags KL and Bangkok. And its not even comparable to SIngapore and HongKong.

·
Trad Urbanist
592 Posts
I think Jakarta is behind the other major cities in the region for the most part. A lot of progress is being made, though. Public schools in slums is a luxury a lot of developing countries of comparable development levels don't have.

·
Dangerous User
9,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yamauchi said:
I think Jakarta is behind the other major cities in the region for the most part. A lot of progress is being made, though. Public schools in slums is a luxury a lot of developing countries of comparable development levels don't have.
i agree

·
Registered
6,022 Posts
An article that might be relevant for this thread

S'pore, Tokyo are tops in Asia for quality of life: survey
Geneva and Zurich continue to head the list of 215 cities

By WONG WEI KONG

(SINGAPORE) Singapore and Tokyo offer the highest quality of life in Asia - but they lag cities in Western Europe, North America, Australia and New Zealand as the most attractive places to live.

According to a survey by Mercer Human Resource Consulting, the Swiss cities of Geneva and Zurich continue to offer the world's best quality of life, followed by Vancouver, Vienna and Frankfurt.

The analysis ranked 215 cities based on an evaluation of 39 criteria including political, social, economic and environmental factors, personal safety and health, education, transport and other public services.

Cities were ranked against New York as the base with an index rating of 100. Data was largely collected between September and November 2004.

The survey places Sydney and Auckland joint eighth, and Melbourne and Wellington joint 14th.

Singapore and Tokyo share 34th place - ahead of Hong Kong (70th), Kuala Lumpur (75th), Taipei (79th), Seoul (90th), Bangkok (106th) and Jakarta (141st).

At the other end of the spectrum, Yangon in Myanmar, ranked 180th and Dhaka in Bangladesh, at 196th, continued to score poorly, mainly because of their poor infrastructure and lack of internal stability and law enforcement.

In the US, Honolulu and San Francisco offer the best quality of life, jointly ranked 25th in the world mainly because they have lower crime levels than other US cities.

Boston, New York, Portland and Washington are behind, while Houston ranks lowest among US cities at 68th position.

To help governments and major companies place employees on international assignments, Mercer separately ranked the world's cities in terms of personal safety and security. Scores for personal safety and security are based on relationships with other countries, internal stability and crime, including terrorism. Law enforcement, censorship and limitations on personal freedom are also taken into account.

'The top-ranking cities for personal safety and security are in politically stable countries with good international relations and sustainable economic growth,' said Slagin Parakatil, senior researcher at Mercer. 'Most of the low-scoring cities are in countries with civil unrest, little law enforcement and high levels of crime.'

Luxembourg is ranked the world's top city for personal safety and security, followed by Helsinki, Bern, Geneva and Zurich, all in joint second place. In contrast, Athens, Rome and London appear at the lower end of the rankings for this region, due to high levels of petty crime. Madrid also scores relatively low due to terrorism.

The Japanese cities of Omuta, Katsuyama, Tsukuba and Yokkaichi score highest in Asia, while Calgary, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto and Vancouver rank top in North America.

Singapore ranks slightly lower in 37th place in the world rankings 'essentially due to some media and censorship concerns', Mercer said.

Unsurprisingly, the world's least secure city is Baghdad, due to ongoing civil unrest and threats of attack. Baghdad also remains the world's least attractive city in terms of the overall quality of life.

Other low-ranking cities for personal safety and security include Abidjan in the Ivory Coast, Bangui in the Central African Republic and Port Harcourt and Lagos in Nigeria - countries that continue to experience political turmoil and low economic growth.

Poor-scoring cities for overall quality of life include Bangui in the Central African Republic, Brazzaville in Congo and Khartoum in Sudan.

'As globalisation increases, security and relationships with other countries become more critical to overall quality of living standards in cities across the world,' Mr Parakatil said.

·
Registered
129 Posts
There is no doubt Jakarta is still behind other ASEAN cities (Bangkok,KL,Manila,Singapore) but this was due to Economic Crisis right??
I think Jakarta would be ahead of both Manila and Bangkok if the Economic Crisis never happened. Now Jakarta is catching up,hopefully by 2010 Jakarta is a much better city. :)

·
Dangerous User
9,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
geminiguy7 said:
There is no doubt Jakarta is still behind other ASEAN cities (Bangkok,KL,Manila,Singapore) but this was due to Economic Crisis right??
I think Jakarta would be ahead of both Manila and Bangkok if the Economic Crisis never happened. Now Jakarta is catching up,hopefully by 2010 Jakarta is a much better city. :)
i hope so!

·
Registered
6,022 Posts
Yeah Jakarta was the hardest hit out of any major asian cities by the economic /political crisis. But alas, the city is back on the map with multi-billion dollars worth of investments on skyscrapers, infrastructure, and city beautification...

·
Banned
2,043 Posts
JktCity said:
still....i agree witchu ncbmandy.....Jakarta is Jakarta....Love it ot Leave it...2 me...Love it!! 2 death..
you are correct..BTW congratulations to jakarta for hosting the A-A summit, Jakarta is on track to recover what was loss during the financial crisis and the continuing success of jakarta is also a success of the entire ASEAN region..and BTW again i am a catholic and not a witch :D just joking he he he.

·
Jakarta : Home sweet Home
769 Posts
I dont care how Jakarta is lagging behind.. (well I do actually).. but I still love Jakarta no matter what.. it's no 1 city to live in for me..
one day, we're all going to make Jakarta a better place to live..

·
Dangerous User
9,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alvin said:
Yeah Jakarta was the hardest hit out of any major asian cities by the economic /political crisis. But alas, the city is back on the map with multi-billion dollars worth of investments on skyscrapers, infrastructure, and city beautification...
yeah yah

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.