Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any ideas on enhancing the Night skyline?

Does anyone think any great buildings flee the skyline when the sun goes down, and all the workers leave?

In your opinion, does the Bell Atlantic tower pull its weight from across the night horizon? Should it? What about the twins?

Did anybody feel that the green lighting theme a couple months back did Liberty One injustice, seeming hardly visible from South Philly at nighttime? What color theme would look best?

This is on my mind every time I go into the city. What do you prophessionals think?

Renderings, Anybody?

·
Senior Button Pusher
17,165 Posts
I think what Philly could use is some sort of decorative lighting affixed to a few of the ground clutter towers put up back in the day. Most of the new towers have something going on up top, but hardly any old ones do. So, if like the twins got something done to them, then the skyline has poor balance, because basically all talls have lights, and basically all shorts don't.

So, maybe they can do something creative on the sides of a couple old moderist boxes, or maybe the PSFS building can have the top updated ro something...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Does anyone else think Liberty Two looks ugly? It looks like its incomplete to me, i feel like they should add 2 other layers on top so it looks similiar to L1.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I like the lighting for the city skyline, and hopefully, the Comcast Center will look just as good. One thing that I would change for nightlighting is the Municipal Services Building, in which I think the wondows need to be outlined in neon lighting, and each of the buildings on Penn Center, which they also need to be outlined with neon on the windows horizontally.

·
Registered
249 Posts
To make Center City look like something Vegas spit up? No thank you.

Honestly, it would be ideal to keep the lighting "classy" if you will. Can you imagine the windows of the Municipal Building being outlined?

It would be tough to do such a thing because the city's tallest building already have adequate night lighting (save for Commerce Square) and many buildings in the midrange are older towers and only general floodlighting such as what is done on City Hall and the top of the PNB Building (the Atlantic Building on Spruce is also sharp) would work.

We all know that Comcast and Cira Centre are going to be quite the spectacle at night. That's about the best we can hope for.

phillyskyline, it would help if both towers of Liberty Place co-ordinated their lights. I don't know if you've noticed that the colors never quite match. 1LP could be pure white whereas 2LP will be an off-white/eggshell color. Same goes for the pink lights for October. 2LP's lights are damn near purple.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Bro, the MSB looks unattractive, especially at night, where there's absolutely no lighting on that building, and on the Penn Center buildings as well. Floodlighting isn't going to work on those buildings. We need to make ourselves attractive. City Hall, the Masonic Temple, Sts. Peter and Paul Cathedral, and Independence Hall are classical buildings that need floodlighting to enhance it's beauty at night. the MSB and the Penn Center buildings are postmodern-types which need some type of lighting, and floodlights will not work in their case.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Nothing can make MSB look attractive. It isn't post-modern at all. I'd call its style brutalist, akin to the towers of Centre Square. I'd take floodlighting for it over any other option.

It's a gray slab of concrete. Colored lights will make it look even more sickly. And nothing along the vein of neon will look correct on pre WW-II structures, which are the bulk of notable highrises in Center City that either aren't among the Trophy Towers or aren't already lit. Point out one to me from anywhere in the United States and I'll know I'm wrong.

When I say floodlight, I'm talking something similar to what you see on the Bell Atlantic Tower. Many of the city's older buildings, with their setbacks, would have an even more striking appearance at night with such a light scheme.

2000 Market Street, Ten and Eleven Penn Center, 1818 Market Street - these are more fairly modern buildings that can adapt to a more fairly modern lighting scheme. It wouldn't fly for older-looking buildings.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.