SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
254 Posts
To make Center City look like something Vegas spit up? No thank you.

Honestly, it would be ideal to keep the lighting "classy" if you will. Can you imagine the windows of the Municipal Building being outlined?

It would be tough to do such a thing because the city's tallest building already have adequate night lighting (save for Commerce Square) and many buildings in the midrange are older towers and only general floodlighting such as what is done on City Hall and the top of the PNB Building (the Atlantic Building on Spruce is also sharp) would work.

We all know that Comcast and Cira Centre are going to be quite the spectacle at night. That's about the best we can hope for.

phillyskyline, it would help if both towers of Liberty Place co-ordinated their lights. I don't know if you've noticed that the colors never quite match. 1LP could be pure white whereas 2LP will be an off-white/eggshell color. Same goes for the pink lights for October. 2LP's lights are damn near purple.

· Registered
254 Posts
Nothing can make MSB look attractive. It isn't post-modern at all. I'd call its style brutalist, akin to the towers of Centre Square. I'd take floodlighting for it over any other option.

It's a gray slab of concrete. Colored lights will make it look even more sickly. And nothing along the vein of neon will look correct on pre WW-II structures, which are the bulk of notable highrises in Center City that either aren't among the Trophy Towers or aren't already lit. Point out one to me from anywhere in the United States and I'll know I'm wrong.

When I say floodlight, I'm talking something similar to what you see on the Bell Atlantic Tower. Many of the city's older buildings, with their setbacks, would have an even more striking appearance at night with such a light scheme.

2000 Market Street, Ten and Eleven Penn Center, 1818 Market Street - these are more fairly modern buildings that can adapt to a more fairly modern lighting scheme. It wouldn't fly for older-looking buildings.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.