Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I admit that I am somewhat of an old goober because I have not visited the place since late 2003, but it is definitley a place that I can get use to visiting more often. Let me say that I am not a big fan of malls, but the place overshadows all the negative sterotypes that malls have. From some of the other places that I have been to, I felt that it is definitely a leader in design, urban infrastructure (I know that sounds like somewhat of an oxymoron when dealing with malls), but it definitely has it with underground and garage parking, it is definitely an awesome mixed use development for being built in the 70's with hotels and retail space, and I found that some of the stores were somewhat pedestrian friendly such as the Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, and the stand alone Tiffany store. I have found that the place holds some awesome claims as far as European retailers headed to the states, that cities like NYC cannot even claim, which is easily the retail mecca in the U.S. I admit, I'm from Boston and I am a sucker for sidewalk retail and I would love to see these stores in more of an urban outdoor environment, but there are definitely no complainmts here after my recent visit. Is anybody on the same page as I am? I guess mainly Houstonians could only anwer this question.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I don't live in Houston but I have visited the Galleria a number of times and can say it is definately in the top 3 in N.A. I've been to quite a few across NA including Short Hills, Tyson's, Lenox, King of Prussia, Southcoast, Eaton Centre, Bal Harbour, Galleria Dallas, Caesar's Palace, Watertower Place and many more. One of my favorite.

·
Registered
274 Posts
In the early 80's, my wife and I would get drunk and go to the top floor of Neiman's where she would try on furs. We liked it.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have not been to that many malls across the country to say if it is the average mall, but it was the first to bring the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele concept to the states which you see so much of now and it has become a popular place for overseas retailers to locate to and a destination for wealthy Latin Americans. There ares some retailers where there are only a select few in the country and even the world such as the new CH Carolina Herrera boutique, which I believe is the largest in the nation, but I really cannot answer your question from experience. Oh yeah, just a pointer, mall threads do not do well at SSC in the southeast section, because they are figured to be all the same.

Here are some pics

I found that the new expanded side seems kind of average because it has somewhat a kiddish feel to it as fas as design, but I would not go to far to say even that. Yeah I know the pictures do not do the place justice.

Don't ask, but the Vuitton store is one of the largest in the US.

·
Registered
344 Posts
As a visitor, I really like the Galleria, and the Galleria Uptown area. It has alot of shopping and very upscale.

I also like the near by Highland Village.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Does it have a roller-coaster?

·
make it so...
6,755 Posts
the galleria is the ONLY mall i have been in in about 5 years becuase i hate malls but the galleria is a few notches above the typical mall (and i live across the street) but i have noticed places like churches' chicken and mcdonalds opening up in the past few years replacing better "sit down" restaraunts like becks prime.

you do not order fried chicken in the same facility you buy a $1200 armani suit.

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts

because of this picture, i'll refrain from making a smartass comment in this thread. what a nice mall indeed. :)

-

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Hey that's what I did last time I was there. Ate some Popeye's fried chicken then bought a purse for a present at the Louis Vitton store. I think that's neat. This mall has something for all income levels.

·
Registered
274 Posts
No roller-coaster or log ride?

I'll go with the Mall of America.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I guess this will date me, but I can remember when the Neiman Marcus was a "free standing" store. That may explain why it may be a little more pedestrian friendly than most mall stores. Back then, the only development in the area was the Neimans and the Joske's (Dillard's) across the street. There were a few small strips on Westheimer, but back then it was considered to be on the far edge of town.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I love The Galleria in Houston. I Christmas shop there every year, (usually the second weekend of December), and have a great time. I think it is tops with the shopping experience out of all malls or shopping centers in the United States, and they definitely do it right during the holidays. It's only a 50 minute flight from New Orleans to Houston, so, it's very easy to enjoy the Galleria for individuals that live in New Orleans. We just don't have a Neiman Marcus, and that's the draw for citizen's of SE Louisiana...to be quite honest.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
sleepy said:
In the early 80's, my wife and I would get drunk and go to the top floor of Neiman's where she would try on furs. We liked it.
HAHAHAHAHHAHA sounds amusing and VERY fun.....we need more people like that in the world.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Why do people always photo some teenage stereotype group of hoochies !?

The Houston Galleria is one of the nicer MALL developments in the country, to answer your question.

·
Registered
169 Posts
One of the things the Galleria has going for it is that it is a complex more than just a mall. It is linked to a couple of hotels, is surrounded by other free standing stores (Dillards) and other points of interest like the Williams Tower and Water Wall to name a few. Plus, other than the embarrassment of adding a McDonald's and a Church's, there are many cheapo stores at the Galleria, so your shopping is generally of the higher caliber.

It also has a well-designed interior for the most part.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts