Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean the cities of Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal and Toronto, but other cities like Edmonton, Winnipeg, Ottawa and Halifax can be talked about.

I think they are. I thought 78 was a high murder rate for Toronto but then i started to look at other big US cities. My friend from Philly said in the first four months of in her city that over 100 people have been murdered.
That shocking for a city with a million fewer people.
I think as Toronto grows it will face the problem of more violence and so will other cities like Calgary, Vancouver as they reach the same size. The good sign is that it became such a big major issue and its not being ignored.

I think the cities are safe but i wouldn't want to live in some neighbourhoods in some cities.

What do you think about your city.

·
Bring Constantinople back
16,639 Posts
I went to Toronto, Ottawa-Gatineau, Montreal and Quebec. I don't know Calgary, Vancouver or Edmonton but I can say that theses cities are safe if you compare with same size cities of Europe or USA.

·
The Tropics of Canada
5,066 Posts
depending on where you are, In Kamloops ( not a major ceneter yet ) , Ive had me car stolen three times and my house broken into. I went as far as getting and ADT system and a Steel Door. I sold it and moved to a defferent part of Kamloops ( 15 km ) away and I dont lock my car at all now. No need.

·
Technocrat
878 Posts
I think Calgary is very safe in comparison to many cities. I have never had any issues with crime myself, and am able to walk in some of the worst areas of the city without any problems.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
I would consider Montreal to be very safe. I have walked down St. Catherine at like 2 3 in the morning alone and never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are and i think people always get a little to worried.
Like Here in Toronto you have 2.6 million people in the city and about the same number right outside of it. Things like Murders, Emergencies and Wierd things will always happen if you have so many people living so close together.

I think its safe because we had 78 murders last year and that surprisingly wasn't even a new high. The worst year was 1990 with over 80 murders with a smaller city (around 2 million) and million of fewer people around the city. However, I think people do not want to see such kind of violence be the new norm in this city and thats why there was such a big outcry from it.

I found Calgary very safe and really the only cities i have seen some serious crime going was in Winnipeg. Edmonton isn't really that safe, 39 murders in 2005 and around
a million people??

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
I've only had experience living in Toronto and Hamilton.

In Toronto, I lived in no fewer than 6 different apartments, in different areas, during the 8 years I lived there. I've visited every part of the city, day and night (a necessity for my job). Not once did I ever feel uncomfortable. Toronto is, overall, very safe.

I've lived in Hamilton for 2 years now, near the downtown. My impression is that Hamilton's core is less safe than most Toronto neighbourhoods.

·
Registered
292 Posts
If you look at stats then you will see that generarly speaking the biger the city the safer it is, especialy when it comes to violent crimes, and as a whole Canadian cities are generarly some of the safest in the western world, actualy some of the safest in the world i guess.

·
The Mighty.
3,196 Posts
Canadian cities are safe, but they obviously have their 'bad' areas where crime is usually higher.
For Windsor it's the hardcore west side and city centre area.
Other than that, I feel perfectly comfortable everywhere in my city...even the 'scary' parts.
I love visiting Toronto and feel fine walking around (I'm usually with friends anyways).
Montreal was a little different, but whatever you can't live scared.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have never felt particularly endangered living in Vancouver. There are some sketchy areas, but they're mostly inhabited by bums and druggies who really aren't going to do much to you. So yeah, safe.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Depends what you mean by "safe". If you feel unsafe when your home or apartment or car gets broken into then you would probably feel unsafe in Vancouver or Victoria or just about every other large city (or even some of the smaller ones, as per Rhino's experience in Kamloops). Break-ins and prowlers and such are a fact of life.

A friend of mine once got the hell beaten out of him by a total stranger in broad daylight in Victoria. It's not like that sort of thing happens all the time -- of course not -- but then again it does happen...you just assume you're not one of the people it's going to happen to. If you assume it's going to happen to you then you will probably feel unsafe. If you don't assume it's going to happen to you then you will probably feel safe.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Still its the small towns that have the highest murder rates, highest drug abuse rates, highest poverty rates, highest violent crime rates, highest theft and break in rates, highest robery rates, highest HIV rates, etc. Sure this doesnt apply to all small towns, but it does apply to most. Dont believe me look at the stats. Its the larger cities that are safer. Stats dont lie.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Hamilton surely can't be any worse (and even better, safewise) than lovely Buffalo, which, IMO, is quite safe and very, very liveable.

I actually think American city downtowns are a lot safer than Canadian city downtowns, but as far as some neighborhoods are concerned, that's a different story. I could compare and contrast, but I'm not sure if it's necessary.

My friend lives in the swanky Queen/Bathurst area of Toronto near downtown, I really still feel quite skeptical about being in that area or in any area of Toronto, even though my luck has been better in that city. But I don't act and I try not to feel any different than I would in American cities. :)

In my town, where I live, a lot of crazy things happen, yes, but nothing near like murders/rapes or serious crimes. More like stealing, vandalism, but still, crazy things happen in small towns.

·
www.mtlurb.com
2,159 Posts
I have never felt threatened in my entire life in Montréal and I'm not the kind of guy who goes to bed at 9pm. I have been walking around in some "bad" areas with several thousands worth of equipment on my self and never had any trouble at any hour (my photography hours are usualy between midnight and 5 am).

Sure there's some loud couple of drunks walking down the street coming out of some club, but that doesn't not translate into a threat.

I have also been on the streets of Toronto at some crazy ass hours, and there too, I was never bother or percieved a danger.

We are blessed in our big cities to have that sense of safety, its priceless.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts