Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since their conception they've proved to stand the test of time providing a clear message - don't park where there are double yellow lines, and don't park during restricted times on single yellow lines. But sometimes I think as our roads become more and more 'managed' we're drowning our streets in a yellow mess of paint as far as the eye can see. Double yellows on each side of a road also make our already narrow streets appear narrower to drive on!

I notice in conservation areas some towns can avoid the use of yellows altogether, and solely use discreet signs embedded in bollards and buildings to regulate traffic. :)

We have clearways (although usually outside urban areas) on some urban ring roads, dual carriageways etc which prohibit parking without the need for double yellows. Surely these should be used more often like in the contintent? (with exemptions for stopping for loading).

Or maybe we will continue to paint our roads with more yellow, red, and green:bash:

·
Registered
30,602 Posts
Double red lines mean something different to double yellow lines, and you don't just get them in London, but can be found in many cities.

Red lines mean no stopping. Double means no stopping at any times, single no stopping except for the times indicated on the signs.

Yellow lines are no waiting.

I don't think the UK will abandon yellow lines- certainly not any time soon. If anything, more are being applied. They're painted onto the kerb just incase you haven't seen the lines on the road, and just incase you have seen the kerb markings or road markings, there are signs plastering the streetscape.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Thats what I hate now. The council put in that old worn stone kerbing and then paint yellow dash's on them. I think the lines work best and they should rid the streets of the tiny signs on posts. All the street clutter just ruins towns and cities.

·
Registered
30,602 Posts
Somewhere recently took all of the road markings away- I think near Hastings or Rye somewhere. It was on the BBC. There are now no kerbs, roadways, markings etc. Its a trial, hoping that the lack of priority etc will encourage car drivers to go slower and have more respect for pedestrians, while pedestrians will be more aware of cars. A shared space.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The problem is some people are very stupid/selfish some are both. Getting rid of double yellows or any street signage is pushing a lot reliance onto common sense. The British imo have a bit more common sense than folks of other countries I have lived and visited but it only takes a minority to **** things up. I agree with ledge88, keep the street pavements clear (as much as possible) and paint the roads.

·
Premium Member
18,584 Posts
The problem is some people are very stupid/selfish some are both. Getting rid of double yellows or any street signage is pushing a lot reliance onto common sense. The British imo have a bit more common sense than folks of other countries I have lived and visited but it only takes a minority to **** things up. I agree with ledge88, keep the street pavements clear (as much as possible) and paint the roads.
The shared space concept exists in a number of other European cities quite successfully. It isn't a new concept at all.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Somewhere recently took all of the road markings away- I think near Hastings or Rye somewhere. It was on the BBC. There are now no kerbs, roadways, markings etc. Its a trial, hoping that the lack of priority etc will encourage car drivers to go slower and have more respect for pedestrians, while pedestrians will be more aware of cars. A shared space.
I thought Poundbury was meant to be a test case for this but that was years ago now and I have seen few other places that have implemented it in the UK.

Mind if Exhibition Road works then I guess that could push things on.

·
The Legend
13,345 Posts
It doesn't work, in the Monument area of Newcastle, it is like that, and people always get knocked over, I'm surprised someone hasn't been killed because big massive double decker buses just ram their way through regardless of people being there or not.

·
Just Relax
22,872 Posts
They are trying out a shared space scheme around the museums in Kensington. I reckon its worth a try if only so we get rid of some of the street clutter. But the reality will be pedestrians walking in amongst this ....

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
It doesn't work, in the Monument area of Newcastle, it is like that, and people always get knocked over, I'm surprised someone hasn't been killed because big massive double decker buses just ram their way through regardless of people being there or not.
It's been in use in many places in continental Europe for some time. It's new to us only. I can't see these schemes going away, only increasing in number. We seem to have a particularly strong fight going on between drivers and pedestrians for some reason.

·
Registered
30,602 Posts
Monument isn't fully shared space- there is still a roadway that the buses take and bollards, even though it is heavily pedestrianised. A full shared space would mean none of that at all- buses would have to slow down.

Poundbury was meant to be about shared space. I haven't been and don't know if it's working though. I always despair a bit about Poundbury though because it's so fake.

Of course shared spaces might not be a good option in all areas. They probably work well in villages and small towns, and in quieter areas of large towns/cities, but main roads perhaps still need to be clearly marked with paint on roads.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts

When I was living in Winchester I noticed the yellow lines are narrower. I think that's true in other historic towns. It does look better.

or

Crazy yanks, wtf! Maybe we'll follow and get more!

·
The Legend
13,345 Posts
Monument isn't fully shared space- there is still a roadway that the buses take and bollards, even though it is heavily pedestrianised. A full shared space would mean none of that at all- buses would have to slow down.

Poundbury was meant to be about shared space. I haven't been and don't know if it's working though. I always despair a bit about Poundbury though because it's so fake.

Of course shared spaces might not be a good option in all areas. They probably work well in villages and small towns, and in quieter areas of large towns/cities, but main roads perhaps still need to be clearly marked with paint on roads.
A good 99% of it looks like a path though, with a large area having the same pathing stoens for the road and no curds at all, which in my opinion means it's a shared system, I use it every single day. Locals can't really tell the difference and nor can toursits, or even motorists, so what does that make it? Their is no bollards either.

·
BUND
4,045 Posts
I've nearly got run over coming out of monument underground station and walking over the road. Its a bit silly having all that traffic going through there liek that.

Many german cities have huge areas of their city centres like this, and because large areas are like this, the only things that travel through are delivery vans with their hazard lights on. Thats how it should be done. The roads can be driven on, but people just dont, because of the pedestrians, and there are no bus routes through most of the pedestrian areas.

Some UK cities have successful completely pedestrian areas though - nottingham for one. We are improving, but slowly.

·
The Legend
13,345 Posts
I think they want to pedestrianise Monument, but it all depends on the bus station at East Pilgrim St being built, which will take about 10 years, so no solution yet. Also the bus companies are against the idea, but it does make sense.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Monument must be the very opposite of shared space, the buses career down narrow Blackett Street which is bulging with pedestrians, it's an accident waiting to happen. though im not sure how suitable shared space is for a place with heavy bus traffic, the vehicles are large and with so many of them in a tight space it is difficult for drivers to tell who is walking where. as you can see at this junction of Blackett with Pilgrim there's plenty of markings, signs, islands, lights, bollards and even barriers dividing up the space -

drumaboy - flickr

·
The Legend
13,345 Posts
johnypd, I was more on about further along Blackett St where it is difficult for loads of people to tell who has priority, it virtually in my opinion is a shared space on that strech.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts