Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my opinion, the painting of TTC bus is too old-fashioned. Recent years, a lot of North American bus operators have changed their old painting, such as WMATA(Washington), LACMTA(Los Angeles), MDT(Miami). Do you think TTC should change as well?

·
Mơמkƹ͛ƴ∆ґ&#4
5,767 Posts
I think it'd look better if the colours were reversed (i.e. red be the prominent colour, white used for accents).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks good to me. I don't really want our transit fleet to be a copy of another city's.
I don't think this is copy, this is a trend. The painting designs of most North American buses were designed long time ago. So they look out of date. You can see the results of other cities. They look much better than before.

Washington
old

new

Long Beach
old

new

San Diego
old

new

Los Angeles
old

new

·
39,233 Posts
I do like the redesigns way more than those old schemes. Perhaps it is time for an update.

·
Someone reads this?
802 Posts
So... more colour? :dunno:

·
Registered
905 Posts
Changing the colour of the Toronto bus fleet should be a low priority, especially when you think about the potential cost to take out of service and repaint some 2,000 buses. Money that could be better used on delivering more services, newer, cleaner buses, etc…

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
I believe they are getting newer buses; the fleet seems quite changed to me but I am not a close follower of it. I think you would find a fair number of changes from when you lived here, Jake. I saw this articulated one a few weeks back:

I'm not a fan of the pressure to homogenize the "look" of mass transit around the world. A few years back when the TTC decided to start replacing our streetcar fleet, there were endless complaints on these boards that our streetcars did not look exactly the same as those in Tokyo, or Germany. My response is, why must a vehicle be streamlined bullet shaped when it is going to be putting down Queen St at 30 km/hour, and not hurtling through space at 1200 km/hour. I don't really want all of our fleet to look exactly like everyone else's personally; there is a matter of individuality at stake.

·
insertoronto
4,035 Posts
The old GM fleet was finally retired a few years ago.

Toronto's buses run on an 20 year life cycle, meaning our current oldest models are from the early 1990's. (the TTC will be shifting to an 18 year cycle in a few years once the new LRTs free up some additional buses and allow them to easily transition)

Personally I couldn't care what the Livery is. if / When the TTC introduces a real strong express bus service, it needs its own special marketing and livery IMO. (think VIVA in York region compared to their "normal" YRT buses) proper marketing of new services has been proven to improve ridership. if the "premium" routes are using the same buses as the regular routes, are they really all that much better? (colour of the bus obviously doesn't have any real effect, but to many people mentally the "special" buses are much more attractive)

http://www.yorkregiontransit.com/en/aboutus/fastfacts.asp

·
Registered
905 Posts
I believe they are getting newer buses; the fleet seems quite changed to me but I am not a close follower of it. I think you would find a fair number of changes from when you lived here, Jake...
I’m not sure what you’re on about as I didn’t make the claim that Toronto hasn’t invested in buses. What I said was that it makes little sense allocating potential sizable amounts of funds towards repainting 2,000 or so buses for no discernible benefit, when the ‘painting’ money would be better utilised for increasing the number of buses, bus drivers, etc…

1 - 17 of 17 Posts