• Acupuncture

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine)

• Osteopathy (Dr.)

• Massage Therapy

• Over the counter herbs (without professional assistance)

• Other?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
CAM= Complementary and Alternative Medicine (basically anything that is currently outside the allopathic medical model)

I'm currently involved as a consultant in a private epidemiology study addressing CAM usage in Canada. The study begins in a few months. I am curious about several things, thus I thought this thread would be an easy way to do a non-formal 'pilot study' (like a focus group really), so if you could humour me I would greatly appreciate it.

So, some basic questions:
Have you ever in the past, used modalitites, therapies and treatments, or seen a professional or doctor categorized as complementary and alterative health care?

If so, what type (see poll)?

Do you still use the CAM treatment? If no, why did you stop?

Was if effective?

Why did you use CAM? How did you come to decide to use said treatment? How did you hear about it?

Overall, what are your opinions about the CAM treatment you recived, or in general?

Thanks very much everyone, I appreciate your input. Normally at a real focus group, I'd provide some coffee and some snacks...unfortunately you'll just have to settle for my gratitude.

NOTE: I fogot to add a "No CAM used" option on the poll. If you've never used any of the options, could you please simply reply "None" in the thread.

NOTE: I also forgot to allow more than one poll response. Simply mark the answer you use most frequently, then respond and list them all. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Dr. Phalange said:
If so, what type (see poll)?
TCM & Acupuncture

Dr. Phalange said:
Do you still use the CAM treatment? If no, why did you stop?
Sure do.

Dr. Phalange said:
Was if effective?
Sure is.

Dr. Phalange said:
Why did you use CAM? How did you come to decide to use said treatment? How did you hear about it?
I started to get head-splitting headaches a few months ago. I was going to the doc twice or thrice a week. I was on pain medication of all stripes, and nothing seemed to be helping. I had a CT which indicated no internal problems, but I still was no closer to relief.

The original suggestion came from my parents, which was then encouraged by my girlfriend and my doctor.

Dr. Phalange said:
Overall, what are your opinions about the CAM treatment you recived, or in general?
The first time I went in, I got some herbs to help me deal with the anxiety aspect of headaches; afterwards, I started doing acupuncture semi-regularily. The headaches completely went away. If I have one now and feel it's going to stick around, I get an acupuncture treatment, and it has helped every time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts