Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
中華民國
2,804 Posts
Skybean said:
Why change after thousands of years?
You know Hanzi has evolved in the past few thousand years right...?

With your attitude, we would all be still writing 甲骨文 Jiaguwen rofl!

·
...::HK.:.:.:.LA::...
1,529 Posts
don't like the idea...

i like the freedom to use both interchangably...

·
中華民國
2,804 Posts
I didn't read the whole article as it's too long for me to read right now... but I did notice the headline says "棄繁從簡" (to give up traditional Chinese and adopt simplified Chinese). Why must we "give up" traditional Chinese in order to adopt simplified Chinese?

Many HKers have successfully learned Mandarin in order to do business with mainland China but they never gave up speaking Cantonese, nor should they. Obviously learning simplified Chinese has its advantages, as I am personally fluent in both SC & TC I find that I have more access to literature than to people who only know one.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
It is not a matter of should or shouldn't just use Simplified Chinese and give up the Traditional Chinese. It is a matter of usage. For me, I write Simplified Chinese on paper but I usually type Traditional Chinese on computer in Changjie. :|

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmmm, it's interesting how most of the people that dont like simplified are from HK. ;)

I dont really like how simplified looks, I get the impression that the word isnt completed when I see it, that's why I stick with traditional, although I know a few simplified.

·
中華民國
2,804 Posts
I finally got enough time and patience to sit down and read the whole article. I don't know how many of you who responded actually read it. But in short, this has to do with the UNITED NATIONS decision to unify Chinese writing into one and make Simplified Chinese the standard by 2008. What that really means I don't know as the article didn't really go into detail. Obviously there is no way the UN can force ALL Chinese to use Simplified Chinese if they choose not to. Heck, right now Taiwan/ROC is not even part of the UN ;)

·
17,924 Posts
Pangu said:
I finally got enough time and patience to sit down and read the whole article. I don't know how many of you who responded actually read it. But in short, this has to do with the UNITED NATIONS decision to unify Chinese writing into one and make Simplified Chinese the standard by 2008. What that really means I don't know as the article didn't really go into detail. Obviously there is no way the UN can force ALL Chinese to use Simplified Chinese if they choose not to. Heck, right now Taiwan/ROC is not even part of the UN ;)
Taiwan was part of the UN until they decided to recognized PRC than ROC.

·
I miss HK :(
50 Posts
I can write / read both, but can't speak the Cantonese dialect, so it doesn't matter too much to me. :gaah:

Traditional, IMO looks a bit more..."traditional"...

The only benefit I can think of would be if they used a unified set of characters. Would make education a bit easier. Maybe reduce illiteracy rates?

·
17,924 Posts
DasAutoKerl said:
I can write / read both, but can't speak the Cantonese dialect, so it doesn't matter too much to me. :gaah:

Traditional, IMO looks a bit more..."traditional"...

The only benefit I can think of would be if they used a unified set of characters. Would make education a bit easier. Maybe reduce illiteracy rates?
Yeah but HK has one of the highest literacy rates in Asia.

·
中華民國
2,804 Posts
WANCH said:
Taiwan was part of the UN until they decided to recognized PRC than ROC.
Yes I am very well aware of that... Point is, today Taiwan/ROC is not part of the UN.

WANCH said:
Yeah but HK has one of the highest literacy rates in Asia.
Ugh, I hate it when people claim that using Traditional Hanzi, or just Hanzi in general, would decrease literacy rate. All they have to do is look at the the more developed regions that are using Hanzi such as Hong Kong (93.5%), Taiwan (96.1%), and Japan (99%) and notice that they all have very high literacy rate. Compare to say, Vietnam (90.3%) who uses Roman letters, you can tell there is a difference. Literacy rate has more to do with how well the country is doing economically rather than what writing script they are using.

·
125,380 Posts
If simplified characters were implemented in HK, the purpose is likely going to be business-related, since Hong Kongers do a lot of business in China, knowing both traditional (for local purposes) and simplified (for trade purposes) will become increasing important. It won't be due to literacy rates.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts