1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Wolf in sheep's clothing
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Still unsure about Myer building. It is effectively a white box. I will hold my end judgement until the end but is not looking that promising at this stage.

Rest of the area is coming along well. Good mix of residential and business/hotels.

Something that does surprise me though is the fact that the taller towers in docklands seem to be on the waterfront. If they were further back it would look more balanced.

Thanks for these pix also Jack. Great to see updates and pix of Melbourne being posted.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
I remember visiting the park outside the ANZ HQ in 2005 and getting some skyline shots, but now is becoming surrounded by development.

·
Wolf in sheep's clothing
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some shots I didn't get a chance to upload yesterday

·
6,436 Posts
they're wondering why they're being pictured ...
Oh man, theres no way I could take a photo with two mean looking dudes staring me down like that :lol: I hate when I'm looking at my photos later on and see anyone looking at me. I get pretty self conscious when taking photos. But yeh, nice pics Jack, that whole area is looking very impressive.

·
Wolf in sheep's clothing
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
A couple more.

Oh man, theres no way I could take a photo with two mean looking dudes staring me down like that I hate when I'm looking at my photos later on and see anyone looking at me. I get pretty self conscious when taking photos. But yeh, nice pics Jack, that whole area is looking very impressive.
I didn't notice they were looking at me until [email protected] pointed it out. I guess I must have won the stare down contest since I managed to get away. Lol.

Interesting to see how it's all shaping up - I like some of the architecture a lot! I can't say I'm a big fan of how much road space has been given to the area though. They did have an opportunity to take some away and create a few more shared spaces this close to the city.
Me neither. They could have have created another Fed Square down there IMO.

EDIT: Added the following pic after yardmaster posted his waterfront city pix. I'm assuming your a he. Let me know if your not.

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
Great photos. I took some there too myself, actually on the 25th rather than the 24th, : so I thought this might be a good place to post them. Sorry about the blue cast: it is midwinter, and it was getting late.

North side of Docklands Drive: although I've walked past this place during construction, this was the first time I went in: mainly on account of what I read in a discarded copy of the Herald/Sun, and a colleague stating that her husband was going to work at Costco: at ground level on a Thursday afternoon it was passably busy, at least around the circuit round the wheel ... I climbed up one level to avoid all the overhead lights (and the snow-making machines)

The celebrated dysfunctional wheel: with one pod still in place.

Docklands Drive: a tram driver told me the Government had decreed the rerouting of the City Circle trams here.

ANZ Building, Collins St. West:

Extension of the Collins Street tramline: new traffic lights:

and a new "superstop" (one of two, I'm told):

I'd be interested to find out exactly where this tram line will terminate, and if there are any provisions to extend it further westwards between the river and Victoria Dock.

·
Wolf in sheep's clothing
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
^^

right ... so where does the line stop? I asked a security guy after skulking around the area, but he wasn't really up on it. He said the double tracks contracted to a single stub ... but it's pretty hard to amble around that area at the moment. Looks like the western superstop is an island platform, which probably means "The End".

·
Wolf in sheep's clothing
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
this is all I could find...

Route 48 Extended to Victoria Harbour
Friday, 15 May 2009

Route 48 (North Balwyn-Docklands) will be changed to travel via Collins Street instead of Flinders Street, and extended to Victoria Harbour, Docklands from September 2009.
Public Transport Minister Lynne Kosky said the new Route 48 service would provide a direct link between the heart of the CBD, Southern Cross Station and the Victoria Harbour precinct of Docklands.

“The Brumby Government is taking action to build the best transport network in Australia and with the continued growth of Docklands, there is a greater need for public transport links to this increasingly vibrant community and business hub,” Ms Kosky said.

“Route 48 trams from North Balwyn, which currently travels down Flinders Street, will turn right from Wellington Parade into Spring Street and then left into Collins Street. The trams will then travel down Collins Street to Victoria Harbour, Docklands.

“By the end of 2009 around 12,000 people will work in Victoria Harbour, which is home to major businesses including the headquarters of two of Australia's largest banks, ANZ and NAB, as well as the new Myer corporate headquarters, the Kangan Batman TAFE and retail and community spaces including cafes, restaurants, boutique shops and a supermarket.”

Once complete trams will link the CBD and Docklands from Flinders, Collins, Bourke and La Trobe Streets via Routes 31, 48, 70, 86 and the City Circle.

“Work is already underway to extend the Collins Street tram tracks into Victoria Harbour, across Harbour Esplanade to Merchant Street,” Ms Kosky said.

“The Route 48 project also involves the installation of turning tracks at the intersection of Wellington Parade and Spring Street and at the intersection of Collins Street and Spring Street.”

These works will start in May and are expected to be complete by mid-2009. Major track works will be undertaken over the Queen's Birthday long weekend from 6 to 8 June at the intersection of Collins and Spring Streets, and in Macarthur Street between Collins Street and Albert Street.

Other major works will be undertaken at the intersection of Spring Street and Flinders Street intersection from 19 to 22 June. The impact of these works on residents, traders and the transport network is being minimised wherever possible and prior notification has been provided to affected parties.

For any questions about these works, interested parties can contact Yarra Trams Customer Feedback on 1800 800 166 (6am - 10pm daily).
During the works some temporary diversions will apply to tram routes 109 and 112. Detailed tram timetable information is available by calling Metlink on 131 638 or visiting www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au or www.yarratrams.com.au.
The Department of Transport, Yarra Trams, City of Melbourne, VicRoads, VicUrban and

Source http://www.docklands.com.au/cs/Sate...Urban/Layout&site=Docklands&pid=1182927626296

Source http://www.docklands.com/cs/Satellite?c=VPage&cid=1182927626512&pagename=Docklands/Layout

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
^^ Thanks ... what I'm trying to work out is what happens at the Merchant Street/ Collins Street intersection.I did go there and look but it was surrounded by fencing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts