Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 374 Posts

·
メルボルン | &#51652
4,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'll create a new thread for Marina Tower, since its approved and on its way to getting constructed.

MARINA TOWER:

Overview
Address:
6-22 Pearl River Road

Project Description:
1 Block of 43 storeys
1 Block of 36 storeys
1 7-storey hotel

Total No. of Units:
269 hotel rooms and
461 residential units

TOP Date:
Q2 2017

Source: AFR & Hiap Hoe

Go-ahead for $500m project in Melbourne Docklands
GREG BROWN | THE AUSTRALIAN JUNE 03, 2014 12:00AM

LISTED Singaporean group Hiap Hoe has won planning approval from the Victorian government for its $500 million-plus hotel and apartment development in Melbourne’s Docklands.

The site, at 6-22 Pearl River Road, was approved last week and is likely to result in a project with 461 apartments and a hotel with 320 suites.

Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide will manage the hotel under the Four Points brand, with the hotel to be named Four Points by Sheraton Melbourne Docklands.

Construction is expected to begin early next year. Hiap Hoe is already marketing the apartments in Singapore and Shanghai, as well as in Melbourne and Sydney.

The designer of the project is dKO Architecture. Its director, Koos de Keijzer, said two residential towers were planned, each with a 5 degree tilt in them. One of them would lean towards the water while the other would tilt away from it.

The towers would also be artistic with colour schemes, with one of them white with light windows and the other black with dark windows.

“It’s probably going to be the biggest sculptural tower ever built in Australia,” Mr de Keijzer said.

Hiap Hoe has bought aggressively in Australia in the past couple of years. It has a site on Lonsdale Street with potential to build a 350-room hotel and 658 apartments.

It also owns a site on Melbourne’s 206 Bourke Street, and also bought a Perth site in February for $90m.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...ourne-docklands/story-fnko7zi0-1226940718278#
http://www.afr.com/p/business/property/green_light_for_hiap_hoe_11UG5DhksNa7wJF9XGtkOK

http://infopub.sgx.com/FileOpen/Hia...ne 2 2014.ashx?App=Announcement&FileID=299667

http://www.hiaphoe.com/marina-tower-melbourne

·
flame on.
5,062 Posts
i remember when the concept for this precinct came out and this 'leaning tower' was part of it all.... i thought "typical concept drawings.... all cool designs that will never see the light of day"..... now BAM! - here it is :)

·
Registered
12,898 Posts
Ironic that today's paper said the Leaning Tower of Pisa is stable...to think they built it as a vertical tower and never realised the stuff up on scrimping on the foundations money since could fix the budget...but then, that's not important right now...

·
メルボルン | &#51652
4,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i remember when the concept for this precinct came out and this 'leaning tower' was part of it all.... i thought "typical concept drawings.... all cool designs that will never see the light of day"..... now BAM! - here it is :)
There were slight changes to the Hotel design, but everything else is pretty much the same. Will be the tallest tower on that side of Docklands, could very well be the catalyst for more use in both New Quay & Waterfront City.

Hopefully the landscape can also compliment the grand design as well, would love to see beautiful tree lined streets going towards the hotel entrance. Too bad its a Four Points, if the Hotel was an Aloft or W property, more emphasis would have been seen on the sculptured landscape.

·
flame on.
5,062 Posts

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Melbourne seems to be developing a really distinctive architectural style. Not a particular aesthetic as such but a kind of shared ethos, it reminds me a lot of the Netherlands. There's an element of abstraction, playfulness even.

·
Registered
12,898 Posts
You know the wheel is where it is to drag people through retail area...for Melbourne the wheel should have been beside Victoria Harbour...imagine when the wider area is fully developed then redeveloped...The wheel is ok but it should have been in a long term location not a part time thing but then as I span millennia I wonder if I should say such stuff ?

Reactions: ozabyss

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
^^ Great design and great video. Very high quality building.

Thanks for that.

The amazing thing is that the amount of hotel rooms that will be in Docklands in the next few years. Certainly will add to the vibrancy of the area.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
^^ That area could well be very impressive.

Looking forward to it.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Singapore-style Marina Tower keeps apartments in exclusive club

IN the rarefied world of luxury Singaporean apartment towers, private clubs for residents are common. Bringing them to Australia is a gamble Hiap Hoe, a conglomerate from the city-state, is prepared to make.

Its first development to launch in Australia, the dKO-designed Marina Tower, with one 43-floor building and a smaller 36-storey tower in Melbourne’s Docklands, will include a multi-floor entertainment space reserved for residents and their guests.

The Marina Club will include a private library, business centre, cinema and billiard rooms, along with kitchens, dining areas and a rooftop pool and gym on an expansive deck that overlooks Melbourne’s skyline.

The project, due to be completed in mid-2017, will include a Four Points by Sheraton hotel, and will be launched in Singapore. Pricing for the apartments is yet to be announced.

Marina Tower is not the only dKO apartment development to hit the Melbourne market in coming weeks.

See More: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/exe...n-exclusive-club/story-fn6njxlr-1227230719280

·
Premium Member
12,359 Posts
The car park on the Marina Tower site has been closed and the area fenced off. These towers are really going to make a statement, at 43 and 36 storeys, because they're surrounded by low rise townhouse style apartments. The only taller one is a 9 storey one on the corner of Dockland Drive and Pearl River Road. The Aqui Promenade towers are further east on the other side of that big plaza. I don't often walk around that area, so I took a few shots to give members an idea of the layout. It's a nice quiet pocket, yet the restaurants of NewQuay are only a short walk east. There's a nice little green between the Marina Tower site and Wattle Road, compete with the curse of suburbia, dog droppings. Docklands Drive has been closed at Wattle Road whilst the Ron Barassi Senior park is established, etc. Docklands Studios are directly opposite.

images hosting

photo uploading

post a picture

adult image

image hosting no registration

picture host

image upload without registration

screen capture freeware

screenshot windows 7

host image

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm just concerned that with all these apartments being developed on the lands that were used as temporary car parks, there are going to be a shortage of car spaces which could affect the number of people especially local visitors who want to visit there and have a walk,,etc. I occasionally go there for a meal and its pretty damn hard to find a car park-esp at the weekends. Hope they will address and deal with this issue asap and build more carparks before they start closing them all.

1 - 20 of 374 Posts