SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I hope I do this right, but here's some info I think everyone should get a kick out of.
I found the grand plan for the docklands given to me by their marketing department some years back now.
It's a huge manual (74 pgs) and it shows the progression of the docklands as a whole and also in seperate precincts until 2020.

We're already a bit behind based on 2005 schedule.
Wonder when we'll find out about the planned pier icon?

Check out how Condor was going to look. Was taller but I like the current design more.

I'll try and post more pics soon. :)

·
Registered
76,965 Posts
wow, amazing transformation.should look good when completed in 2030.

·
Registered
76,965 Posts
so this is the vision ? lots of apartment blocks.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
This was the vision. It has been changed a number of times since that report was released. I tossed out my copy of that report a few weeks ago.

·
QUEENSLANDER!!!
2,560 Posts
holy shit..melbourne, you are so freakin lucky youve got that much space to do mad shit like that. i wish brisbane had the room youve got! that is one trick plan!!

·
Watch my Chops
6,033 Posts
Quite nice, bit rough around the edges but really really nice.

Dubai?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Nice enough but utterly bland and uninspired as I have said before. This development has got to knock to sock off people from around the world. You can see buildings like those almost anywhere.It needs to be amazing and unique!
It needs to be an architectural showcase for the world. It's a great chance but I am afraid it might be wasted. Lets see daring architecture huh?

·
Registered
76,965 Posts
gee it really extends the CBD west towards Bolte bridge.it should go ok if each development is srcutinized and has design excellence regulations.if bldgs are put up willi nilly with no thought ,the place will be an eyesore. so far its going ok.

·
Melburnaholic
567 Posts
ugh - that campus style building behind southern cross station is going to be hideous -

·
Developer
7,645 Posts
Remember that these are just concept plans, the buildings are mostly just block models which give a general idea of the size and height of buildings that can be built in each area.

They are not detailed architectural designs and what is eventually built will look nothing like what you see here.

·
Registered
76,965 Posts
Also Docklands will be a slow evolving project. it will take years to complete and will go through many phases such as DHarbour did. Dharbour started in 1984 and was supposed to completed in 1988. lol, its still going with many new projects such as DP3 and Zoo still uc. the newest addition is the 200ft tunnel stack.
Architecture that was cutting edge will be old hat when the next stage starts so it will have many dif types of buildings when completed which will give the area a nice contemporary feel.patience is a virtue/

·
Melbourne Zealot
1,300 Posts
i'll never see docklands as part of the CBD. it's just too low rise, too bland - i agree with icanseeformiles - it's utterly uninspiring. melbourne deserves better. wtf are groundscrapers doing in an "extension of the CBD"?! not on.

·
Registered
76,965 Posts
blab-although ANZ will house there new development in "groundscrapers". theres still bldgs in Docklands up to 40storeys high, so yes it is an extension of CBD. treat this like the low section up near paris end. its good to have low parts of a CBD. even NYC has them.>

·
Registered
6 Posts
groundscrapers are there because companies like them and employees prefer them. I think the current deveopments at Docklands really suit the area and have a great human scale to them.

So are the rail lines in that area eventually going to be covered by development over the railway lines (around southern cross station i mean) if so, awesome, hate rail lines they make cities so ugly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts