Skyscraper City Forum banner

In which would you rather live?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Oh ma Lordee, lookee here
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We may have had this discussion before, but with Docklands past its developmental half-life now and officially becoming part of the MCC area, it seems as good a time as any to revisit this question.

I'm choosing to sum up the many points open to debate
with a single poll question: where would you choose to live ...?

DOCKLANDS ... (spitfirelas, flickr - checking this)

or SOUTHBANK (alandot, flickr)

Seems to me, one is still lacking in some life, the other still lacking in an integrated infrastructure, in terms of daily living supports.

Just speaking personally, I'd go for Southbank every time -for its more intimate connection with the city centre, and the arts precinct.

archriver, flickr

Frank Camilero, flickr

alandot, flickr

Docklands has been a vast transformation - and I don't quite know why it is, but personally i have been sort of permanently irritated with it for years...something to do with its sense of monoculture, and unrelieved, artificial modernity.

the urbannexus, flickr

spitfirelas, flickr

costa cobosta, flickr

Southbank again, thescatteredimage, flickr

and Docklands

With some big decisions still to be made in the future

sorry, I've lost track of who originally posted these aerials: was it grollo, or, yes, maybe culwulla (in a spurt of Melbourne euphoria)

like to hear some views on all aspects, and , of course,
best pictures.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Southbank any day. I have some fantastic memories of Southbank & its engraved on my mind as the better place. Docklands is ace, love vic harbour but it seems like a clip on, an afterthought but that might be due to the fact its a construction zone atm.

·
member dec 2002
80 Posts
southbank but only if you buy me an apartment in Eureka ... about level 50 would be very nice thanks... oh and an RS4 Avant Audi for the garage...

i like south melbourne currently live at the other end opposite albert park lake but am willing to trade the view...

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
Where's the Foster option? Seriously out of those two I choose the CBD. :)
Well, Docklands is now officially considered the CBD? kinda sorta....but yeah, I would go the "traditional" CBD too.

Out of Docky and Southy though, I would go Southbank if I were living in Melbourne. It's much more urban and not as sterile as Docklands. Transportation is better too. Anywhere but right on City Road. The older part of Clarendon St would suit me just fine (I know it's South Melbourne but teeters).

·
Oh ma Lordee, lookee here
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
southbank but only if you buy me an apartment in Eureka ... about level 50 would be very nice thanks... oh and an RS4 Avant Audi for the garage...

Cat quite rightly you come high, my dear, and i'll see what can be done...

i sort of take redbaron_012's approach, that the art would be a penthouse in the middle, looking around at all these big buggers, rather than actually being in one of them. The Audi will be okay, but is there anything else I can do to sweeten the deal, and sort of bring you around to this point of view?

Also, in Eureka we risk bumping into bloody Bob and Blanche - and for reasons we need not go into here, I'm trying to avoid Susan Renouf.

·
Banned
1,298 Posts
Neither. They both suck.

I'd rather die than live in either of them, or anywhere particularly close to the CBD.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Definitely Docklands for me: as of today I own a unit in Vic Point which I hope to move into within the year. Excellent PT, walk across the footbridge to the airport bus, real shops and Safeway coming soon, the water, places to eat. In contrast Southbank - thinking of the CE Red Cross site etc seems all traffic, a few expensive convenience stores and much less good PT

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
real shops and Safeway coming soon
Coles is here already. :banana:

I'd go Docklands too - an apartment in T5 or Conder with a boat in the marina would be a fantastic lifestyle setup. And living in Southbank would mean having Flinders St as your local station - scary place to go home to after a big night.

·
Agent of Change
7,440 Posts
I think I'd take St Kilda Rd over both Southbank and Docklands. An apartment in either one of Yve, Balencia, 505, Lucient would do it for me. But out of the two options I'd probably go Docklands with an apartment in T6 or Dock 5's brother.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts