Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 343 Posts

·
Registered
7,239 Posts
888 what a good number to sell these to chinese investors!!

from the bits we've seen and I think someone else said somewhere else looks like 35 Spring Street.

also interesting to see such a heavy focus in the add on cars... cars = luxury, 888 = luxury or something like that?

·
Registered
12,898 Posts
...I think it's going to be the sequel to Revenge ?

·
flame on.
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its ok i guess... for Docklands tallest, i wish it was a bit nicer.

·
Building Tragic....
142 Posts
Does not grab me, "me thinks" it will come down to the quality of the finish..

·
Optimist
7,414 Posts
I think it's great for the location, it's the only "boxy" tower in the area, the rest are either curvy or angular, or just short.

Perfect height too, not too tall to look odd but tall enough to stand out a little.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
One thing is for sure is that the higher apartments facing the city will have mindblowing views, think the view you get from the Bolte Bridge + 10 = **** me long time..

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
The podium looks to be going for a touch of bauhaus in its style.

I like it, but also agree that it is a safe choice.

·
Premium Member
12,337 Posts
Ryan Seychell has posted a shot of the model, which has made it easier for me to understand the orientation: the 15 storey triangular building right on the Collins/Bourke intersection and the 40 storey tower behind. It does seem a missed opportunity for a landmark development; Collins and Bourke are only ever going to meet once. So much for our very own "Times Square".
https://urbanmelbourne.info/forum/docklands-888-collins-street-130m-40l-residential

image upload with preview

I missed the bit in the Fin. Review's article of 1st May about Lend Lease bringing 888 to the market earlier because of the strength of the market e.g. Concavo only has 20 apartments left unsold. No wonder they've put up 3 cranes. It's interesting because Convesso/Concavo took so long to start, so demand must have been sluggish initially.

NICK LENAGHAN
It is an unforgettable piece of real estate. At the historic meeting point of Collins and Bourke streets, Lend Lease is developing its most ambitious residential tower yet in Melbourne’s *Docklands.

The $350 million project proposed has an auspicious street address: 888 Collins Street. Memorable in anyone’s language, it is especially lucky in *Chinese culture.

Almost 180 years after Bourke and Collins streets were first laid parallel on the Hoddle Grid, the two major thoroughfares traversing Melbourne’s CBD finally intersect in Victoria Harbour, Lend Lease’s patch of Dockland.

Market appetite for inner city apartments has prompted Lend Lease to expedite plans for the new corner site. A 40-storey building is proposed, with views over Victoria Harbour on one flank and the Yarra River on the other.

PRECINCT’S TALLEST TOWER
As the tallest tower in the Victoria Harbour precinct, it is hoped 888 Collins Street will become a Docklands landmark and a substantial “book end” for Bourke and Collins streets.

“The design of the building has really taken into account the significance of the location and makes the most of the prominent corner site,” state manager of apartments for Victoria, Ben Coughlan, said.

The project comprises a 15-storey triangular building, holding the corner in front of the taller 40-storey tower. There is nearly 36,000 square metres of residential space, with 587 one, two and three bedroom apartments, along with a small component of ground-level retail. Prices will range from $398,000 through to $1.2 million.

If the project is approved, Lend Lease hopes to begin construction in November this year, with completion in February 2017.

“We’re seeing strong demand in the inner city residential market at the moment and have almost sold out of apartments in Victoria Harbour – which is why we’re bringing 888 Collins Street to market sooner than planned,” Mr Coughlan said.

Lend Lease’s most recent tower in Victoria Harbour, Concavo, will be built by next year and has only 20 apartments left to sell.
http://www.afr.com/p/business/property/grand_design_for_collins_street_Um3wbCzAv9f0cpEAa3tAJP

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
another land mark site bites the dust :(

whats with "state significant" sites like CUB, CoBo, Powerstation (to a lesser extent), batmans hill/railtracks getting run of the mill watered down designs when completely random projects like Eq. Tower Melb, anda host of the LaTrobe and Elizabeth street towers are stunning yet in seemingly unimportant sites.

this site should have had something at least 160m, triangular like the flatiron building that rises straight up and becomes a REAL landmark for docklands, unless its incredibly tall or stunning like Burj or BigE not many resi building become LANDMARKS, they end up with clothes hangers on balconies and junk that doesnt fit in the apartment. (if you want an example walk past Northbank Place and check out that dogs breakfast.

ugh wasted opportunity IMHO

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
I think while it is simple - it appears to be high quality. I think this will turn out well. There is something very northern European about it - I could see it in Hamburg or Frankfurt.

·
Train Spotter
213 Posts
Does not loom very high quality to me. More of the same run of the mill shit which is just not good enough for a "land mark" location. This city really nas gone to the dogs lately.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Lets be honest, Lend Lease has its main focus on Barangaroo, and is using both the Victoria Harbour and Batman's Hill precincts to go for some functionality over any real design statements.

This is not a bad design, but it could have been much more of a statement in that location.

1 - 20 of 343 Posts