Not the best day for it but meh.

ANZ in ya panz:

Mosaic:

825 Bourke:

Ericsson:

Jewel on the dock

By Liam Houlihan
24 June 2007

A NEGLECTED Docklands wharf the size of half a city block will be revamped as the jewel of the emerging Docklands precinct.

The Bracks Government has convened a panel of 20 of "Victoria's best minds" to envision a new icon for Central Pier.

The brains trust, which includes state architect John Denton, had their first meeting this week.

They hope a big idea for the prime location pier will see it join the MCG, Arts Centre spire and Flinders St station as a beloved Melbourne landmark.

The move follows a Sunday Herald Sun campaign asking the public for ideas on transforming the central location.

Suggested plans for the site include:

A NATIONAL gallery for Aboriginal art

A FAMILY-friendly Coney Island-style ferris wheel and fun park

A STRIKING building housing a centre of Australian popular music and culture

A GRASSY parkland hovering above the water

A SINGAPORE-style 24-hour cinema and internet centre

A GIANT sculpture or artwork such as a constantly burning flame on a big torch

NIGHT holograms simulating the Northern Lights, or

A GLASS tower offering free views of the city and bay from high platforms.

Other proposals are a waterside opera and theatre space or a shopping centre.

Major Projects Minister Theo Theophanous, who appointed the panel, said it was time to act on the water gateway to Melbourne.

"Central Pier should be a place where all Victorians can enjoy themselves and which is attractive to interstate visitors," he said.

The board will deliver their plans for the Docklands centrepiece within months and building could begin within five years.

nice day for it yesterday

·
Agent of Change
7,193 Posts
Mosaic and 825 should both top out within the next couple of weeks or so. Piling for ANZ should be winding up next month. Renders for site V4 behind Dock 5 should also be released soon.

·
Proud "Pricktorian"
552 Posts
How about for the pier landmark a giant Greenhouse that features Australian only plants, not just some shabby greenhouse, something with a unique design, Melbourne does not have anything like this I believe? Isn't there one in St Kilda botanical gardens, but only a small one? Docklands needs more plants down there I know they have the nursery, but that is only temporary, there are virtually no plants there...

Could have it high, with a few levels, has animals in it as well???

·
Proud "Pricktorian"
552 Posts
^^ I rekon it should be a statue or monument of some sort.
Nah it has to be something that serves a "using purpose", that is something that is a landmark, but can actually be used for something, not just to take photos with.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
LOL RED - that would look utterly daft - not poo pooing your thinking though but can we leave it to possibly just one or two generic players lol!! Imagine what O.S. tourists would think of that...WTF LOL!

Love your posts and contributions by the way.

·
Registered Abuser
2,904 Posts
How about for the pier landmark a giant Greenhouse that features Australian only plants, not just some shabby greenhouse, something with a unique design, Melbourne does not have anything like this I believe? Isn't there one in St Kilda botanical gardens, but only a small one? Docklands needs more plants down there I know they have the nursery, but that is only temporary, there are virtually no plants there...

Could have it high, with a few levels, has animals in it as well???
Maybe a hanging gardens ala Babylon?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
can we leave it to possibly just one or two generic players?
I agree. It really should be the image from back a couple of years ago when Didak took that screamer over I think it was Andrew Welsh. That works wonderfully :D

Seriously, I think it will end up being an Indigenous museaum of some sort. You could do a pretty awesome statue with that I'd imagine.

·
Agent of Change
7,193 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of statues as landmarks. Sculptural buildings yes but statues, you look at them once and that's it you might be ablt to go inside but the space wouldn't be very appealing or viable for anything but an observation deck ala the Statue of Liberty or a cafe.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of statues as landmarks. Sculptural buildings yes but statues, you look at them once and that's it you might be ablt to go inside but the space wouldn't be very appealing or viable for anything but an observation deck ala the Statue of Liberty or a cafe.
Word. Statues should augment spaces, not be the main focus of them.

It needs to be something AWESOME and something truly Melbourne.

I wish I could think of something that answers these criteria but I can't. I keep thinking there must be some seriously wonderful solution that nobody has thought of yet.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
^^^ *cough* space-port *cough*

·
Registered
476 Posts
I think it should be something like an opera house or concert hall or theatre or ampitheatre. Some kind of cultural institution which has flexible uses. That's why I don't like the cultural centre idea; if it's crap it can't change. A venue is the way to go.

·
Registered
77,311 Posts
i reckon what ever its going to be, it has to be b.i.g
like the monumental buildings of Dubai. it could be cultural/arts/ect

or more of iconic design like Dubais Central library

·
Agent of Change
7,193 Posts
My idea (which I've refined over the years and started out as a Museum of Australian Architecture) is for the 'Centre for the Built Environment' which would cover architecture, landscape architecture, urban design.

·
Registered
12,897 Posts
Well...I got to put a pic of my mighty Bombers on this thread :)....Melbourne has statues but not anything like..Statue of Liberty N.Y. or that Christ one in Rio...Brazil..come to think of it....What other architectural feature can you name for Rio de Janeiro.....There must be thousands of buildings there.....so a statue in a prominant location can put a city on the map....Sugarloaf on which it stands is also dramatic but if the statue wasn't on top it's world profile wouldn't be the same........
By redbaron_012 at 2007-06-27

·
Oh ma Lordee, lookee here
1,734 Posts
Hmmmm, okay Red, the Ministry of Ideas here, howzabout ... a really giant version of this... the message is - Melbourne, World City:

It has to turn, like a Tattslotto barrell, and be ringed with pulsing laser lights. The map of Australia will be a giant screen, and each time it revolves it will show a different image of the city.

it will be much bigger than this:

and more dynamic than this:

well, you know - just a thought. Quite secular, though, isn't it?

1 - 20 of 2878 Posts