SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ‘New Los Angeles’ Premiers Tonight on PBS
EGP News Service
A television documentary exploring the complexities of inclusion in Los Angeles, the nation's largest majority minority city and the city with the largest divide between rich and poor, is set to premier tonight, Thursday on PBS.

This powerful portrait of a city in transition begins in 1973 with the election of Mayor Tom Bradley, the first African American mayor of a major city without a black majority, and concludes with the political empowerment of Latinos and the election of Los Angeles's current Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, Los Angeles' first Latino mayor in more than 130 years.

The show is the third part of a four-part series entitled “California and the American Dream,” which began running on April 13th and ends on May 4th.

The series sets to explore the dynamics of culture, community and identity in one of the world's most diverse regions. In the last 35 years, California, a state with the world's sixth-largest economy, has seen dramatic changes in social, demographic and cultural trends, which have transformed the state so much that it bears little resemblance to the Hollywood dreamscape projected in previous decades.

The show looks at how Los Angeles transformed itself from a conservative urban center to one of the most progressive cities in the nation, and how the empowerment of immigrants has helped transform this city.

The documentary also looks at many issues now commonplace throughout the nation: immigration, globalization, de-industrialization and a shrinking middle class. This story profiles the efforts of immigrants and the working poor, in coalition with community organizations, labor unions and elected officials, to transform the environment in which they live and to make the city of Los Angeles accountable to its residents.

“The New Los Angeles” explores the shifting political ground that is shaping the city's future and demonstrating that change is possible.

Check local listings for show times or visit: www.pbs.org

·
skyscraper maniac
1,982 Posts
I hope they talk about dt coming back to life just a bit.

This is off topic but I always see picture books of all cities but LA in Borders. I've been waiting on the series From tha Air coming to LA and making LA From the Air, it's about time.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
no there is a really good one with a picture of a basin at night from the hollywood hills

unfortunetly i dont know the name

·
city driver
469 Posts
There's looking at Los Angeles, which I own. Pretty good photos but not too representative of LA in that it focuses primarily on 50s-era LA and LA-style suburban life.

There's another one which is supposed to be a lot better, called simply "Los Angeles" that's the third book in a series (the other two were New York, New York and These United States). But it's 120 bucks and always kept well-encased at book stores.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts