SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
You are the one who brings politics where it should not, and don't think we are happy with poor performance of those in charge of our institutions but lets be systematic...

How can we start to discuss the issue of BRELA in a Dodoma International Airport thread??

This is what is known as trolling or derailing, like the way you do in so many other threads...:eek:hno:
Bantugbro

Couple of things:

1. I welcome constructive criticism, debate and dissent, but I wont tolerate mindless abuse and persistent personal attacks or name calling ( on me or any authors, other users or any individual hapa Tanzania SSC ) I always believe that the the key to maintaining decent discussions here on SSC TZ page as an inviting space is to focus on intelligent discussion of topics.

2. I understand that you often feel strongly about issues i raise, but dont ever fool yourself into thinking I will let you have your way with any content that I or others might find extremely offensive or threatening. Please respect other people's views and beliefs and consider your impact on others when making your contribution.

3. We were discussing Dodoma Airport and I mentioned the designs are more like RUKWA Airport and not the Capital of a 50 year old country with 45 million inhabitants. I think Tanzan mentioned something to do with budget cuts and mis managements and more importantly how in efficient DIA is and all I did was show how incompetent other government agencies such as CDA and BRELA are and I even mentioned how how hard it is to set up a business in Tanzania let alone moving the capital to Dodoma and having a decent Airport such as Kenya's JKIA.

My thoughts on the new DODOMA INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

I think the problem is that our planning system creates these sort of situations due to its inherent short-termism. Nowhere is this more evident than at DIA ( Nyerere )

The regions Mwanza, Dodoma, Arusha etc are constantly fighting this 800 lb. gorilla of a city. And they're doomed from the start. Yes, they do get tourists, but nowhere near the numbers Dar and Zanzibar

The solution should not involve encouraging more people to come to Dar. It's time for a rebalancing of the Tanzania's economy. Right now, all the nation's eggs are in one, Dar-shaped, basket. This isn't inherently Dar's fault; it's a legacy of Tanzania's city and town planning turbulent history. History is where mistakes are made and recorded for others to learn from. We need to learn from it too, and that means we need to rectify some of those errors...

The first step is making Dodoma as the REAL capital city of Tanzania. (Abuja is the capital of Nigeria, but this hasn't harmed Lagos reputation. Similarly, DC may be America's capital city, but it's not an economic powerhouse: NY, LA and Houston do most of the nation's heavy lifting.)

Moving CHADEMA vs CUF vs CCM politics out of Parliament has two effects: firstly, it forces a reinvention of politics in this country, and particularly in the way it's done. Sorry to say this but out Parliament was designed by our colonial masters for the immature, confrontational schoolboy-ish politics we see today. Today, we have three main parties, and umpteen smaller ones. The our Bunge is therefore no longer fit for purpose. We can't knock it down, but we should move the politicians out and get them working together, instead of endlessly bickering with each other over who has the biggest economic policy.

Dodoma is central. It's easily accessed from pretty much anywhere in the Tanzania by road, rail and air. It's cheaper to live in than Dar, which will make politics itself cheaper. It also frees up much of Dar for residential and commercial uses as many support businesses, lobbyists and the like will relocate to be closer to the politicians. This will help reduce the pressure on building new homes in Dar as well as creating a new, inner-city, community in this part of Dar.

(Mwalimu Nyerere always made no secret of his dislike for Magogoni, so that problem's solved too: the our politicians can mive into the present houses built by the NHC in Dodoma, which are smaller, cheaper to maintain and very convenient.

Dar wouldn't lose any of its attractions— Nor would the financial district be likely to move. Wall Street is in New York City, not in Washington D.C., after all, and modern communication technologies make staying in touch with what's happening in Dodoma trivial.

This would help regenerate Dodoma. It would give the entire central region a boost. And, with existing connections to both the central and Dar already available, it should also have an uplift effect on the East and parts of southern Tanzania too.

As Dodoma would now become the political focus for Tanzania, this will relieve some of the pressure on Dar's airports, making it easier to justify closing them down and replacing them with just one (or, for the sake of resiliency, two on opposite sides of the city.....Kisarawe, Rufiji and Bagamoyo), with decent, dedicated, rail and road links. If good rail access to the airport is provided from the City Centre.

But we cant plan with the sort of the model shown above. Whats wrong with thinking BIG and acting BIGGER?

·
3,005 Posts
Bantugbro

Couple of things:

1. I welcome constructive criticism, debate and dissent, but I wont tolerate mindless abuse and persistent personal attacks or name calling ( on me or any authors, other users or any individual hapa Tanzania SSC ) I always believe that the the key to maintaining decent discussions here on SSC TZ page as an inviting space is to focus on intelligent discussion of topics.

2. I understand that you often feel strongly about issues i raise, but dont ever fool yourself into thinking I will let you have your way with any content that I or others might find extremely offensive or threatening. Please respect other people's views and beliefs and consider your impact on others when making your contribution.

3. We were discussing Dodoma Airport and I mentioned the designs are more like RUKWA Airport and not the Capital of a 50 year old country with 45 million inhabitants. I think Tanzan mentioned something to do with budget cuts and mis managements and more importantly how in efficient DIA is and all I did was show how incompetent other government agencies such as CDA and BRELA are and I even mentioned how how hard it is to set up a business in Tanzania let alone moving the capital to Dodoma and having a decent Airport such as Kenya's JKIA.

My thoughts on the new DODOMA INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

I think the problem is that our planning system creates these sort of situations due to its inherent short-termism. Nowhere is this more evident than at DIA ( Nyerere )

The regions Mwanza, Dodoma, Arusha etc are constantly fighting this 800 lb. gorilla of a city. And they're doomed from the start. Yes, they do get tourists, but nowhere near the numbers Dar and Zanzibar

The solution should not involve encouraging more people to come to Dar. It's time for a rebalancing of the Tanzania's economy. Right now, all the nation's eggs are in one, Dar-shaped, basket. This isn't inherently Dar's fault; it's a legacy of Tanzania's city and town planning turbulent history. History is where mistakes are made and recorded for others to learn from. We need to learn from it too, and that means we need to rectify some of those errors...

The first step is making Dodoma as the REAL capital city of Tanzania. (Abuja is the capital of Nigeria, but this hasn't harmed Lagos reputation. Similarly, DC may be America's capital city, but it's not an economic powerhouse: NY, LA and Houston do most of the nation's heavy lifting.)

Moving CHADEMA vs CUF vs CCM politics out of Parliament has two effects: firstly, it forces a reinvention of politics in this country, and particularly in the way it's done. Sorry to say this but out Parliament was designed by our colonial masters for the immature, confrontational schoolboy-ish politics we see today. Today, we have three main parties, and umpteen smaller ones. The our Bunge is therefore no longer fit for purpose. We can't knock it down, but we should move the politicians out and get them working together, instead of endlessly bickering with each other over who has the biggest economic policy.

Dodoma is central. It's easily accessed from pretty much anywhere in the Tanzania by road, rail and air. It's cheaper to live in than Dar, which will make politics itself cheaper. It also frees up much of Dar for residential and commercial uses as many support businesses, lobbyists and the like will relocate to be closer to the politicians. This will help reduce the pressure on building new homes in Dar as well as creating a new, inner-city, community in this part of Dar.

(Mwalimu Nyerere always made no secret of his dislike for Magogoni, so that problem's solved too: the our politicians can mive into the present houses built by the NHC in Dodoma, which are smaller, cheaper to maintain and very convenient.

Dar wouldn't lose any of its attractions— Nor would the financial district be likely to move. Wall Street is in New York City, not in Washington D.C., after all, and modern communication technologies make staying in touch with what's happening in Dodoma trivial.

This would help regenerate Dodoma. It would give the entire central region a boost. And, with existing connections to both the central and Dar already available, it should also have an uplift effect on the East and parts of southern Tanzania too.

As Dodoma would now become the political focus for Tanzania, this will relieve some of the pressure on Dar's airports, making it easier to justify closing them down and replacing them with just one (or, for the sake of resiliency, two on opposite sides of the city.....Kisarawe, Rufiji and Bagamoyo), with decent, dedicated, rail and road links. If good rail access to the airport is provided from the City Centre.

But we cant plan with the sort of the model shown above. Whats wrong with thinking BIG and acting BIGGER?
I understand your frustration, however, i still don't think it is proper to consistently post much unrelated material in a thread which is meant for construction photos, it looses it original meaning.

Since you don't post any construction photos why don't you open/start a thread dedicated to discussions...:lol:

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I understand your frustration, however, i still don't think it is proper to consistently post much unrelated material in a thread which is meant for construction photos, it looses it original meaning.

Since you don't post any construction photos why don't you open/start a thread dedicated to discussions...:lol:

You have your opinion and I have mine.

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Tanzania: MP Accuses Prison Officers of Torture
Tagged: East Africa, Legal Affairs, Tanzania
BY ROSE ATHUMANI AND CHRISTOPHER MAJALIWA, 2 FEBRUARY 2012
Comment
Dodoma — A member of Parliament complained on Wednesday in parliament that she suffered serious violation of her rights at the hands of women prison officers. Magdalena Sakaya (Special Seat- CUF) made the allegations on Wednesday in her supplementary question, saying women prisoners are usually stripped naked and frog-jumped.

"It is true that women prisoners are treated inhumanly by female prison officers, and I am ready to be the government's number one witness on this issue," the special seats member of parliament charged. In her main questions, Member of Parliament, Mhonga Said Ruhwanya (Special Seats - Chadema) had wanted to know what steps the government would take against prison officers at Bangwe prison in Kigoma.

Responding to the main question, Home Affairs Deputy minister Ambassador Khamis Kagasheki confessed that the government had no information concerning the matter. He noted that his office had followed up on the issue but was unable to come up with tangible evidence on the case.

"We would like to ask the MP to provide us with enough evidence, because without identifying the prison officers who committed the offence, it will be difficult to punish them," he explained. Ambassador Kagasheki said his office was ready to work with members of parliament to ensure that such inhuman acts in prisons are stopped.

He however explained the routine of admitting prisoners saying they have to be stripped and searched to ensure they don't enter prison with anything mischievous. "In principal there are prison rules and regulations that must be followed.

These regulations do not allow any prison officers to violate the rights of a prisoner," he explained.Responding to the supplementary question, Ambassador Kagasheki assured Ms Sakaya that the government would work on the issue and the culprits would be dealt with.

New system solves ghost students problem

THE government has defended its newly-introduced procedure of issuing loans to students in higher learning institutions.The board channels the money through their universities instead of making direct transfer into students' accounts.

Responding to a supplementary question from Christowaja Gerson Mtinda (Special Seats - Chadema), the minister for Education and Vocation Training, Dr Shukuru Kawambwa, said the procedure had helped curb the problem of paying for ghost students. "Channelling the money through the students' respective institution has been successful.

This is because, when the money is directed to a non-existent student it is easily returned to the board by a recipient institution," he said. Mr Kawambwa said his ministry had received reports pointing to improvement in loan disbursement, saying the problem of paying for ghost students was being solved.

Recently the Parliamentary Public Accounts Committee (POAC) formed a probe team of three MPs to investigate fraud at Mkwawa University College of Education follwoing massive theft of money. The committee discovered that a total of 66m/- from the Loans Board had been paid out to 32 ghost students at the university.

Two days before the committee's move, a Loans Board official Ester Budili was arraigned before the Kisutu Resident Magistrate's Court for theft of 90m/- through creation of ghost students and employees in nine universities. Earlier, responding to the main question asked by Ms Mtinda, who had wanted to know the government's plans in ensuring students loans were disbursed on time, the Deputy Minister for Finance and Economic Affairs, Mr Pereira Ame Silima, said the treasury distributes funds to all government departments after the budget.

The disbursement of funds is also dependent on available money from tax collections.He acknowledged that sometimes there were delays in disbursing students' loans because of lack of enough funds from revenue collections."I would like to make it known that issuing of loans to students involves a number of government institutions to make sure that all regulations are followed," he noted.

He noted that there were many challenges, including more students than the government capacity to carter for and a slow pace by students in paying back the loans after completing their studies. "In recognition of these challenges, President Jakaya Kikwete formed a special committee to go through the process of issuing loans and the operations of the responsible institutions," he noted.

He said the governments' plan now was to put in place income generating projects, to boast the governments' capacity to meet the demands."The government is also continuing to implement recommendations from the committee with regard to issuing of loans to students," he explained without going into details about the recommendations.

Government issues passports that cannot be forged

IN a move to curb fake passports, the government has started issuing new Machine Readable Passports that cannot be easily forged, the Deputy Minister for Home Affairs Ambassador Khamis Kagasheki has said.

Ambassador Kagasheki was responding to a question from Mr Festus Limbu (Magu-CCM) who had wanted to know what the government was doing to curb a wave of youths using fake passport to travel outside the country.

The deputy minister confirmed that there was a wave of youths travelling outside the country in search for a better living, some without travelling documents and others with fake passports. He said recently more than 100 youths were deported back into the country from South Africa after it was discovered they had entered the country illegally without travel documents.

"There are many youths being brought back from other countries as well, some with fake passports and without any travel documents," he added. A machine readable passport has a small computer chip embedded in the back cover of the passport. The Chip has the same data visually display on the photo page of the passport.

In addition, Ambassador Kagasheki noted that once the exercise of issuing the National Identification Cards which has already started with government employees, is completed, it will also help identify aliens in the country.

Big airport to be built in Dodoma

AN international airport that will be constructed in Dodoma will be able to accommodate Boeing 747, the government told parliament on Wednesday.

In his main question, Mr Omary Ahmad Badwel, (Bahi - CCM), had wanted to know how big the airport would be and when it would be constructed. Responding to the question, the Deputy Minister for Transport Mr Athumani Mfutakamba, said the government recognised the importance of having an airport of international standard in Dodoma.

He said preliminary steps had been taken towards construction which includes feasibility study of the Msalato airport at the cost of 715.5m/- which was secured as a grant from Arab Bank of Economic Development for Africa (BADEA).The government has also compensated 1,432 people living in the area and that the construction of runways and passenger lounges has been completed, the deputy minister noted.

He said the government was in discussions with development partners and other financial institutions, including BADEA, African Development Bank (AfDB) and private investors to get 166.95bn/- for the construction of the Airport. "Therefore construction of the airport will start as soon as we get the money, and it will be able to accommodate big planes such as Boeing 747," he added.

The deputy Minister noted that once the new port is in place, the old airport will be used for small planes and for aviation training purposes.

New laws to empower Zanzibar MPs

THE government is set to prepare a Bill to amend laws that touch on councils operations in Zanzibar, to allow members of parliament oversee development funds in the Isles.

Responding to a question from Ahmed Juma Ngwali (Ziwani - CUF), the Deputy Minister in the Prime Minister's Office, Regional Administration and Local Government, Mr Aggrey Mwanri said the laws at the moment did not recognise MPs as members of the district and town councils as it is the case in Tanzania Mainland.

Mr Ngwali had wanted to know what criterion was being used in channelling Community Development Funds to the councils, because Zanzibar MPs were not members of the district and town councils. The Deputy Minister noted that on the part of the Mainland the funds were channelled directly to the respective constituencies from the treasury.

In Zanzibar he said the money was being channelled from the treasury to the Vice President's Office, who then forwards the funds to the Second Vice President in Zanzibar through the minister responsible for Union matters.

"The government has evaluated this process and found out that this is a long process that denies MPs an opportunity to supervise implementation of the CDF funds. We want this to change hence the need to change the laws," he added.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201202021198.html

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Time fly's fast, any word on this project, is it under construction?

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Any updates?

·
I'll Fly Away/Blue skies.
18,810 Posts
It wasnt in the budget..kwahiyo nadhani hadi baadae kabisa.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Any news coming out of Dodoma?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Any news coming out of Dodoma?
SOME 50 projects with about 12 billion US-dollar investment requirement were presented to US investors.. for possible partnership. They include three railway projects with an investment requirement of over 8 billion dollars and three airport ventures that need more than 600 million dollars

Source: http://www.dailynews.co.tz/index.php/local-news/34580-dar-opens-to-american-investors
It would've been helpful if the article stated these three airports. I hope Msalato was part of this proposal.

However, given the fact that Dar continues to serve as our de facto capital; and Dodoma as our legislative and de jure capital; I would therefore suggest that the current airport within the municipality be upgraded. A satellite image shows that its runway is of asphalt standard. To my knowledge, very few scheduled flights operate to/from this airport. Both Air Tanzania and Precision Air do not serve this destination.

In the current fiscal year, the GoT has set aside TSh 1.1 billion for architectural work and design. I'd suggest the priority ought to be to develop all the other regional airports' runways to asphalt standard. I do hope this is not another white elephant project in the making..

Image Credit: http://web.mwi.org/divorce-blog/bid/245268/Holiday-Gifts-Put-your-Ex-Spouse-before-the-Kids

·
Serengeti
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
JK has to sort out this Airport before he leaves so that the next president has no excuses moving to Dodoma.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Ultimate Expansion :)

Msalato Inernational will be built in three phases. Interesting points to note:

• Terminal I [#4 on the slide] will be the smallest in comparison to Terminals II and III [23]

• It will have a Presidential Pavilion [15] and a Military Airbase.

• A parallel runway [24] will be constructed in Phase III.

Source: Tanzania Airports Authority

·
Registered
901 Posts
hope it's built and finished in our life time

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Nice!!!!

41 - 60 of 98 Posts