Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Terve!

I'm trying to find pictures of Tampere in order to show someone who is interested in the city. Scrolling back on this forum I find that it is the most neglected nordic city of all. Is The biggest landlocked city in the north not photogenic? No way. My guess is that that this thread will include some gems.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Tampere is a very nice city. I've been there twice and they have some architectural gems for sure. I have pics but they are not scanned unfortunately.

For instance their stadium, a very cool brutalistic concrete one. Looks like something from deep inside old Soviet. It's not beautiful but it sure is intimidating and that's a very good feature for a stadium I think.

·
Nihongo Luvr
1,037 Posts
Tampere is an old industrial town, and can hardly be described as a showcase for Finnish towns, but there are some nice buildings. Like Svempa said, the stadium used to be pretty horrible, but they renovated it recently, which helped a lot, though it's still pretty ugly.

Just as a side-note, I'm not sure I agree with your argument that Tampere is the biggest inland town in the Nordics, you have to understand that the ridiculous Finnish way of making population stats makes the numbers FAR too large. Here 'municipality' is used for an interchangeable term for 'town'/'city', which streches the truth a lot (try ~50k instead of the official figure of 200k).

Anyhow here's a couple:

C: sten:

C: ryeflorida.org, market square:

C: pvaruste.com, Koskikeskus:

C:eek:bjectif-suede.com, the main street:

C: paanurakenne.com, the stadium:

C: funworldmagazine.com, the amusement park:

C: teräsrakenneyhdistys.fi, the amusement park:

C: wikipedia.org, the observation tower (168m):

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kiitos Moolio, I've been to jyvaskyla (forgive me that my computer doesn't carry the applicable vowels.) And had an amazing time there.

If Tampere isn't the largest inland metro in the nordics, which is? Is Upsalla about the same size? I imagine it to be smaller. jonkoping is smaller. Jyvaskyla, Kuopio and Lahti are obviously smaller. Is Lillehammer comparable to Tampere in size? Is there any abvious city that slips my mind?

My guess is that regardless of the population figure, it's the largest.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yuval said:
Terve!

I'm trying to find pictures of Tampere in order to show someone who is interested in the city. Scrolling back on this forum I find that it is the most neglected nordic city of all. Is The biggest landlocked city in the north not photogenic? No way. My guess is that that this thread will include some gems.

How nice to see someone interested in this wonderful place.

May I direct you to the finnish Talo-forum, that hosts many picture threads. Here are the Tampere ones:

The Tampere thread
http://talo.sw2000.net/viewtopic.php?t=70

And the not so famous Talo-meet-up thread, hosted in Tampere
http://talo.sw2000.net/viewtopic.php?t=204

:)

·
Banned
1,075 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All of this is so helpful. Kiitoksia kaikille.

I wonder, Designwise, what fault you find with Tampere, and what to you is turku's great advantage over it.

I was in Tampere last week (without a camera, unfortunately) as part of a weeklong visit to finland, and I was rather blown away. This city has charecter to spare. It is rather majestically situated, it has a cool historical story, what with being "red". It is absolutely loaded with art and culture and, at least in good weather, it's even kinda fetching.

I know Turku is very nice, but it'll be interesting to hear them being compared by a local.

·
Nihongo Luvr
1,037 Posts
Yuval said:
I wonder, Designwise, what fault you find with Tampere, and what to you is turku's great advantage over it.
I'm kinda wondering the same thing. Turku is older, I recognise that, but otherwise it's far behind Tampere in every possible way. Turku has been in stop-motion since the 70s, and it shows.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually, even Turku's oldness doesn't end up to much because it got severely burned in the 1800ds. It's true that Tampere has nothing to show that's as old as the castle and cathedral in Turku, but its main square is imposing enough and gives a nice historic feeling to the center, plus its own cathedral is lovely. The Hugo Simberg works inside are simply amazing.

Turku opens out to the sea, that's true. It's not chock full of old smokestacks and its marketplace is nice and active. It's more integrated as far as Swedish speaking - Finnish speaking and in some areas feels like more of a big city than Tampere does. Hell, it's got a lot going for it, but I am somehow more strongly drawn to Mansi, with its Black-sausage, tough-time attitude. Should I reconsider, Designwise?

·
Resurrected User
706 Posts
Yes, Tampere is definitely the city number two in Finland. Especially I like their way to pronounce their dialect! ;) And even as a Helsinkian, I have to admit that Linnanmäki has nothing on Särkänniemi.

And then it's my turn to add some pics.

By Olli Nuutinen

By Teemu Piiroinen

satama said:

wooden buildings being replaced

Russian soldier.

Civil War begins in Finland

Peaceful times

II World War begins

If everything goes well, Tampere will get some fancy things in the future, like...

A light rail system.

And a 141m high skyscraper (for comparison)!

·
Banned
1,075 Posts
Moolio said:
I'm kinda wondering the same thing. Turku is older, I recognise that, but otherwise it's far behind Tampere in every possible way. Turku has been in stop-motion since the 70s, and it shows.
Yeah Tampere is growing faster than Turku but I respect Turku for it's culture and history and it's location near the sea. The islands around Turku are the most beautiful in Finland and stretch all the way out to the Åland Islands.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow! Those historical photos are absolutely precious. The contrast between these images of the wars and the prospects of the light rail are so sharp. They make a long story short, and yet let you know exactly how long it is in reality. I can't thank you people enough.

BTW, Good luck to Lordi tonight! I'll be sure and watch.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SuomiPoika said:
I´ve been to the city and apart from särkänniemi, the big hill with houses and the main street the city isn´t really anyting secial. It´s very small and pretty ugly.

What makes for a good city in your book?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Moolio said:
Just as a side-note, I'm not sure I agree with your argument that Tampere is the biggest inland town in the Nordics, you have to understand that the ridiculous Finnish way of making population stats makes the numbers FAR too large. Here 'municipality' is used for an interchangeable term for 'town'/'city', which streches the truth a lot (try ~50k instead of the official figure of 200k).

Well I think thats the way they make population stats in other nordic countries too.. And anyway, population of Tampere is well over 200k if we count whole countinous urban area around Tampere.

·
Addicted user
206 Posts
Joka said:

Pure awesomeness, does this view still exist today?
Well what do you think? ;).. Some buildings do excist but I think this picture is somewhere around Keskustori towards west. Church of Alexander in the background i think :)..

Some of my own pictures from past years, not so glorious but true at least :)

^^ I live in that building :)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts