Skyscraper City Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find anyting on the Translink website or the NewFlyer website. When will we see the old, decrepit trollies be replaced by the long-overdue brand-new ones?

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
officedweller said:
http://www.translink.bc.ca/Plans_Projects/Bus_Expansion/default.asp

All it says is "between 2005 and 2007".

BTW - i drove past the Eburne site - the site for the new bus depot / maintenance yard off SW Marine Drive under the Oak & Arthur Laing bridges - and it's coming along quickly. Lots of trolley poles were up ready to take wires.
We're already almost half way through 2005 and I still haven't seen any!

·
Ex-mod
7,931 Posts
i was on one of the new buses today, very nice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Vancouver orders 126 new diesels from Nova Bus There was a bit of a debate at the TransLink board about whether to get compressed-natural-gas or diesel buses to replace some of the old diesels, and they went back and forth, but the diesels finally won out.

Despite the environmental argument for CNG buses, I think this was the right decision. I understand that the environmental effects of these particular diesels aren't all that different from those of CNGs, and I also understand that drivers find the Nova buses much easier to drive (particularly in icy road conditions) than the New Flyers that currently make up most of TransLink's diesel fleet. Montreal has a fleet that's mainly made up of Novas.

And yeah, I just saw one of the new trolleys for the first time the other day. It's on the #5 and #6 routes around the West End right now. There may be another of them in service somewhere, but I think the 50 or so buses that were supposed to arrive in September have been held up until later this year or early next year due to mechanical problems.

·
Ex-mod
7,931 Posts
Vancouver orders 126 new diesels from Nova Bus There was a bit of a debate at the TransLink board about whether to get compressed-natural-gas or diesel buses to replace some of the old diesels, and they went back and forth, but the diesels finally won out.

Despite the environmental argument for CNG buses, I think this was the right decision. I understand that the environmental effects of these particular diesels aren't all that different from those of CNGs, and I also understand that drivers find the Nova buses much easier to drive (particularly in icy road conditions) than the New Flyers that currently make up most of TransLink's diesel fleet. Montreal has a fleet that's mainly made up of Novas.

And yeah, I just saw one of the new trolleys for the first time the other day. It's on the #5 and #6 routes around the West End right now. There may be another of them in service somewhere, but I think the 50 or so buses that were supposed to arrive in September have been held up until later this year or early next year due to mechanical problems.
there's hardly ever ice or snow on the road here in Vancouver so it's hardly an issue.

i've seen quite a few of those new trolleys, beginning a few months ago. the other two, i saw three pass by in downtown.

thanks for the update.....i'm not too fond of the look of the bus.

·
Registered
855 Posts
theres a bunch of new diesel buses in use on the 154/155 route in new west. they are nice. i have yet to see the new trollies in vancouver. i was on the 20 today and it was slow as all hell, plus the wire thing kept falling off. we need new buses.

the main bus is consistently fast though

·
Registered
126 Posts
theres a bunch of new diesel buses in use on the 154/155 route in new west. they are nice. i have yet to see the new trollies in vancouver. i was on the 20 today and it was slow as all hell, plus the wire thing kept falling off. we need new buses.

the main bus is consistently fast though
The ones on the 154 and 155 are the new CNG's. The new diesel (the second half of last year's order) would start to arrive later this month or early next month.

·
Registered
855 Posts
i thought the 145 was an extension of the 135 and i havent seen any new buses doing that route yet.

did they change the scheduling recently?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
^^ 145 is the Skytrain to SFU route (basically the uphill part). 135 is the Downtown Vancouver - SFU route.
thanks for the info.

i take both busses regularly

but i thought they were combined, as in the same drivers and busses do both routes at the same time

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.