Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
26,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I really belive Cadbury is in the right with this one:

Chocolate makers in a blue
May 21, 2007 - 2:33PM

Confectionary giant Cadbury Schweppes has had a Federal Court win against competitor Darrell Lee over the use of the colour purple.

Cadbury has accused Darrell Lee of misleading and deceptive conduct by using a shade of purple it alleges bears "a striking and obvious" resemblance to its own "Cadbury Purple".

It alleges this may lead consumers to mistakenly conclude that the rival confectionary companies were connected.

In April last year, a Federal Court judge dismissed Cadbury's claim.

Justice Peter Heerey found that Cadbury did not own the colour purple and Darrell Lee's use of the colour was not likely to convey to the reasonable consumer that it was associated with its rival.

However, three Federal Court justices, in Melbourne, today allowed Cadbury's appeal and ordered a new trial at the same court.

Justices Michael Black, Arthur Emmett and John Middleton found the trial judge erred by dismissing disputed expert evidence, called by Cadbury, as inadmissible.

"It cannot be said that the disputed evidence is of so little weight that it could not influence the result of a new trial, so as to produce a different result," they said in their judgment.

In its claim, Cadbury states that since 1995 it has achieved a substantial, exclusive and valuable reputation and goodwill throughout Australia through the colour "Cadbury Purple".

It alleges that since 2001, Darrell Lee has consistently used a colour bearing a "striking and obvious" likeness to "Cadbury Purple" in its signage, badging, wrapping, store fit-out and point of sale facilities.

The new trial will go before the Federal Court at a date to be fixed.

·
26,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I personally don't think it's that different at all. Check the website.

·
Banned
Tremendous
8,579 Posts
Thats ridiculous. I'm surprised the sky and the ocean don't have a fight. They are both blue!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Hmmmm, chocolate...... Coles is just across the street, might go get some.

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
lol.
Well it is the same purple.

And if Darrel Lea used it intentionally then theyre bastards.

·
Galactic Ruler
6,857 Posts
I am pretty sure Darryl Lea's purple is lighter.

It would be deceptive of them to trade off the Corporate Identity and colour brand of Cadbury, but cadbury can't prove it owns a colour. It would however be very stupid and highly unethical for Darrel Lea to use a purple that deliberately mimicked the Cadbury Purple for purposes of piggyback marketing.

I have never thought the Cadbury purple and Darryl Lea purples appear the same, and have always been able to easily distinguish their products. Putting them side by side I am pretty sure Cadbury's is quite a bit richer and deeper.

·
Galactic Ruler
6,857 Posts
Darryl Lea could argue too that chocolate is associated with purple. There are many companies that now use purple to represent chocolates. Wonka, readily uses purple as does some american and german chocolate brands. It's nothing new...

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
I don't think they should be able to sue based only on the colour. I think it needs to be based on the packaging and brand image in general, not just one aspect of it.

I can see why they might have allowed an appeal, but I doubt this new hearing should overturn the findings of the first. This article is from the Freehills law firm and basically describes the case:
http://www.freehills.com.au/publications/publications_5795.asp

·
Registered
435 Posts
hardly striking =

Shit, better cancel my new commodore SV6 order, its purple (morpheous), Cadbury might take it from me :eek:

TPG better watch out:

What a crock, I don't think you can even by darryl lea outside their shops can you?

Who ever made the first chocolate should sue everyone else for making thier chocolate brown, an is dark/white chocolate being racist?

frankly, if they hue combinations are different then case closed. You can't rely on your monitor accurately displaying the colour correctly, even different printers will have slight differences on the same hue combinations..

Crazy, anyways.... whats the next thread.

·
Galactic Ruler
6,857 Posts
Darryl Lea also sell in newsagents and a variety of other shops in NSW, while they still market and sell through their own shopfronts also.

hardly striking =
Yeah exactly what i was getting at with the colours ... they are completely different.

·
Banned
1,316 Posts
I do go with Cadbury. The whole look of it reminded me of Cadbury, and the fact that its chocolate...

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
^ frankly that's all it boils down to. Because of the choice of packaging, would you at a glance mistake it for a Cadbury bar. If yes, then you're likely infinging their trademark.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I would have to agree with Cadbury, just look at that font, it's pretty obvious. I love how they spelt the company name wrong over and over in that article.

·
Galactic Ruler
6,857 Posts
For a copyright logo infringement you need more than the colour and a similar typeface to go on.

·
26,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cadbury have actually trademarked the colour.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Cadbury are in the right.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts