Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Craving density 24/7
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

I have always admired Chicago's spectacular skyline. It seems to always be better and denser than the year before. And soon MUCH taller! I was happy to see Chicago building an empire for the future... yet I had a slight feeling that Chicago was doomed in the end. Not cause it was building towers almost to the speed of Dubai but because all these towers for some reason have hotels in them! Hotel from floors 8 to 30... blah blah blah. I was like, how many f***ing hotels does one city need?

Chicago has the Ritz-Carlton, Four Seasons, Peninsula, Hilton, Hotel 71 and the W's (Lake Shore and City Centre)... plus the other hundreds within the city center. Then I checked hotels within the city center just to see availability... and just for Memorial Day Weekend, I could only get an availability at the Hard Rock Hotel and the Sofitil... FOR ONE NIGHT with only TWO!

Now I realize that Chicago is underserved greatly in the hotel industry.

I used all the top hotel search engines for lowest rates, availablity, and distance. Plus a busy holiday weekend.

Do you feel that a lot of the builders in Chicago are making a bad decision to devote a third or more of their development to high-end hotels or not? And would it be possible for Chicago to allow cheaper hoteliers within the city center?

·
My Mind Has Left My Body
7,266 Posts
If anything I like the prestigious hoteliers included. It would seem to make taller heights more possible. Gives locations a good mix of visitors and residents and it gives more financial security and backing to see a building through.

I just wish the Intercontinental would get on the board with their plans. I am also wondering what other big name hoteliers could eventually wish to join the market if the demand keeps up being strong. Hopefully there are a few who will look at Wolf Point or adjacent NBC Tower lots etc. so that we can get increased chances of height in prominent locations.

·
Banned
1,158 Posts
"Does Chicago have too many hotels?"

I do not understand the title of this thread. It is like saying does Chicago have too many tall buildings?, to me.

Chicago is going to need more hotels in the future with the McCormack expansion, O'Hare expansion and, ESP with the 2016 Olympics. The international traveler is an important component for the Chicago travel industry, for they spend much more than domestic visitors when they visit.

There will be a need for more 5 star hotels and spas. Chicago really only has the Peninsula to meet these needs currently. That is why I am so happy to see the Shangri la, Trump and hopefully the Mandarin Oriental going up soon.

·
Craving density 24/7
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TOO MANY as in do we really need to have so many major hoteliers back prominent tower developments within Chicago's city center?

·
Registered
45 Posts
No, Chicago does not have "too many" hotels, IMHO.

Just try to book a room for a time period when there's a convention in town. Better do it well in advance, or you're going to be out of luck.

I do wish Chicago had more modestly-priced hotel offerings that are centrally located.

·
Jack-Of-All-Trades
1,391 Posts
About the modestly priced hotels... everybody seems to forget about the La Quinta that's moving in to/expanding the old Jewish Federation Building at Franklin/Madison. It's bound to have some cheap(er) rooms.

As for too many hotels... the hotel market in Chicago depends on its inter and intra-national appeal. If Chicago is regarded as a fully-functioning, vibrant, world-class city, then it will attract the businesses, conventions, and tourists that fill all those hotels and justify the construction of more. If Chicago's appeal diminishes, then the hotel demand will sink. Fortunately, many luxury hotels can be renovated into living units at prices cheaper than, say, converting an office tower.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Actually Chicago doesn't have enough. It was difficult for us to book a hotel four our trip in December, and this was like the first weekend after Thanksgiving. And with it being December, you don't expect any conventions or anything in town (who looks forward to going to Chicago in the wintertime?).

Also I remember reading that Chicago was the nation's leader in conventions, just barely ahead of Orlando and Las Vegas. The article said that if Chicago didn't build more hotels and more attractions, it would begin to lose out to those two cities which have one advantage the city will never have - year-round warm weather.

So no Chicago doesn't have too many hotels. It actually doesn't have enough.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I think the city desperately needs more hotels in the neighborhoods, especially the north side.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
I think the city desperately needs more hotels in the neighborhoods, especially the north side.
well, Chicago certainly has become less of city since all the motels that used to line Lincoln Ave from Foster to Peterson diasppeared...you know, the ones that used to charge hourly rates!:)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I agree. As dense as Lincoln Park and Lakeview are ... I can only think of 3-4 hotels in the area. Two are Days Inn's, one is something that looks like they charge by the hour (east of Clark on Diversey) and the 4th is a small boutique hotel off of Surf near Broadway.

If people want to go to Cubs games, they have to stay downtown and commute north. Not that it's the most difficult commute...

·
Proud Torontonian
1,421 Posts
Torontonians are actually starting to ask the same question. IMO big-time cities like Toronto, Chicago and New York build hotels in excess of what's needed on a day to day basis in order to prepare for world class events. I mean, what happens if Chicago holds the G8 meeting then realizes it can't accomodate Tony Blair or Emperor Akihito because the mob for the Gwen Stefani concert filled up all the hotels?

Exaggeration? Maybe. But it's all about preparation. If all of Chicago's hotels had 650 rooms let's say, but there was only demand for 300 on a daily basis, then the city has done a good job of preparing for Tony Blair and Akihito.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Torontonians are actually starting to ask the same question. IMO big-time cities like Toronto, Chicago and New York build hotels in excess of what's needed on a day to day basis in order to prepare for world class events. I mean, what happens if Chicago holds the G8 meeting then realizes it can't accomodate Tony Blair or Emperor Akihito because the mob for the Gwen Stefani concert filled up all the hotels?

Exaggeration? Maybe. But it's all about preparation. If all of Chicago's hotels had 650 rooms let's say, but there was only demand for 300 on a daily basis, then the city has done a good job of preparing for Tony Blair and Akihito.
G8 meetings are planned very far in advance ...and I'm willing to bet that one of the conditions for bidding for the meeting is the availability of hotel rooms.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Yeppers....

When people come to town I tell them to stay in Lincoln Park/Lakeview. The only hotels I really know of are the Belmont whatever Hotel, the Lincoln Park Inn and the Days Inn.

There are some other smaller ones, but I wish we'd get a decent size chain hotel or something that would draw more people up to the north side. It's so much more CHICAGO to stay up there than spend 4 days on the Mag Mile and never leave the area. A lot of people are leery about staying up north because they don't recognize many of the hotel names.

·
Registered
838 Posts
G8 meetings are planned very far in advance ...and I'm willing to bet that one of the conditions for bidding for the meeting is the availability of hotel rooms.
You just proved his point. If we didn't have more hotels rooms than we need on a daily basis, they wouldn't give us something like the G8 b/c we wouldn't have enough rooms for an event like that. Besides... if we get the Olympics I'm sure we won't have trouble filling up hotels.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
One thing was booking a hotel room for my wife & I - I didn't mind paying the extra money, $200 isn't bad for staying at a nice historic hotel.

But I'm going to the Pitchfork music festival in July with 2 guys, so staying intown wasn't an option - so we're staying at some suburban hotel outside of Chicago, or any inner-ring suburb.

·
My Mind Has Left My Body
7,266 Posts
I agree. As dense as Lincoln Park and Lakeview are ... I can only think of 3-4 hotels in the area. Two are Days Inn's, one is something that looks like they charge by the hour (east of Clark on Diversey) and the 4th is a small boutique hotel off of Surf near Broadway.

If people want to go to Cubs games, they have to stay downtown and commute north. Not that it's the most difficult commute...

I am a bit surprised that the Tribune or someone else hasn't thought about opening a small hotel or boutique hotel around Wrigley yet. Considering that Wrigley draws fans from around the region especially on weekends it would make sense. I am guessing not long after the new owners come in it wouldn't surprise me to see something like that on one of the empty lots around Wrigley.

As far as the G8 thing didn't the town of Davos hold a G8 conferance before? If a Swiss resort town can hold it without a problem the amount of Chicago hotel rooms really wouldn't be an issue I would think.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts